2nd opinion for path report ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2nd opinion for path report ? 2nd opinion for path report ?

Unread 01-21-2003, 10:32 PM
2nd opinion for path report ?

I received my pathology report from the hospital path department. The surgery was done by my OB/GYN not an oncologist. The conclusion was complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia with crowding of glands and irregular branching, Some of the additional comments were "many glands exhibit enlarge vesicular nuclei and occasional large prominent nuceoli are seen"

I am happy that it was not diagnosed as cancer, but as a follow up to my surgery I had an abdominal ultrasound because my doctor was not able to locate my left kidney during surgery (since I had a double uterus, she suspected kidney abnormalities too). During this exam, they found my left kidney - but it had a cyst on it. Of course this could be unrelated - but I am really worried it isn't. My OB/GYN referred me back to my PCP for the kidney cyst, and my PCP just wants me to get another ultrasound in 3 months.

Should I get a second opinion for my pathology report, to see if another pathologist agrees with the first? If not then I would push for more tests to make sure that the kidney cyst was unrelated or am I just worrying too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Second Opinion

A second opinion is always a sound idea. Find out first what records that doctor would wish besides the pathology report (may want to see ultrasound or CT scan for instance). Kidney cysts that are benign do exist but always wise to check tihngs out if you're concerned.
Unread 01-25-2003, 08:41 PM

Nell,
I got a 2nd opinion on my pathology results. It is changing the course of my treatment. I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion. (Although I may still end up doing what the 1st Dr. recommended.) JillSue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2003, 01:28 AM
second opinion

Nell,

I had my pathology slides sent for a second opinion. (See my other post if you'd like the details). It changed my diagnosis and treatment, and although I'm not happy with the news, it's probably a good thing that I did it. A second opinion on your report or even on your slides can't hurt anything. Good luck!

Amy
Unread 01-30-2003, 07:22 AM

Felicitia - I did read your other post, and am sorry you are having to go thru a 2nd surgery, but its a good thing you sent out for the 2nd opinion. I thought I was just being a little paranoid. I am going to request the 2nd opinion just to make sure. How did you request this - did you go thru your doctor or just call the hospital and request they send it on for a second opinion?
Unread 01-30-2003, 11:11 AM
second opinion

Nell,

In my case I saw on Johns Hopkins's ovarian cancer web site (http://www.ovariancancer.jhmi.edu/) that you could have your slides sent to them for a second opinion. From your first post, it sounds like you're not dealing with ovarian cancer, so I guess this doesn't help you. I would call the doctor's office and request a second opinion on the pathology. Good luck!

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register