long-term rectocele patients, need feedback | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

long-term rectocele patients, need feedback long-term rectocele patients, need feedback

Unread 01-22-2003, 07:55 AM
long-term rectocele patients, need feedback

for those of you that had the repairs and are several months out, when did BM's get easier? How to describe a BM and be dainty? Okay, here goes. I still am having to bear down super hard to push stool out of my rectum. I am talking the grunt and groan, scrunchy-faced type of straining here. And yesterday, noticed some blood on the wipe.

If I were to describe it, not constipated since I have a couple BM's a day. I can feel the bowel contracting downward and the urge is strong. The stool is soft and formed, but not dry or hard. The larger stools are the ones that are hard to push out, almost like the rectum doesn't want to stretch to accomodate an object that is over a certain diameter. And it should stretch to accommodate. I can feel from inside the vagina with a digital exam the stool stretching the tissue, but the bulge isn't there like before. Is this a sign of poor muscle tone or something? Is there a kegal like exercise to do?

Is this normal for three-months post-op? Concerned since I do have a history of fistulas that came from straining and micro-tears in the rectal lining.

How long does the rectocele repair last anyway? I have seen posts that say how long certain procedures are supposed to last, but nothing similar on the rectocele repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 09:30 AM

Hopefully we'll get some sisters here who are farther out than I am, but I'm at almost a year now. My progress was complicated by having diverticulitis at around four weeks post op, and having another vaginal surgery at about three months post op... but I'd say that about four months post op things moved a lot easier. I did go through a brief period where, if I had the urge, it was hard to hold it... did tons of kegels and that problem went away. I don't have any particular problems passing bm's now.

I asked my DR before the surgery about how long the rectocele repair would last. She said there's no way to know... could be a few years, could be a lifetime. I do a lot of kegels, which has got to help... and I use testosterone gel locally (vulva and around the perineum), which is supposed to help build muscle mass there. I figure that can't hurt!

I'll be interested to hear what other sisters have to say on this...
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-22-2003, 09:42 AM
Good info Linda

But I think my main questions is: with the repair, shouldn't BM's be less painful and easier to squeeze out? It's almost like I got sewn too tight or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2003, 10:03 AM

Well, yes, I think so, as long as the urge is there, and you feel the pressure, but it just feels like the opening is too tight... the kegels may, in toning up those muscles, enable you to relax them more easily when you want to. Continuing to use stool softeners may help, too.

Another possibility to consider is internal hemorrhoids, especially since you had a little blood on that wipe. Is that a possibility? Do you have any discomfort there (other than during a bm)? If the blood becomes a regular thing I would get it checked out. I know that's not what you want to hear, but OTOH with your experience with fistulas and other problems I know you don't want anything more serious to develop.
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-22-2003, 10:14 AM
past history of rhoids too

and I don't have the same symptoms that I had previously, but since I can't take a look up in there, who knows? I really haven't gotten that far with my yoga, now have I?

Might just be poor muscle tone and I need to kegal more. The measurements they took of the muscles during the urodynamic (same muscle I think controls the rectum) were within normal ranges pre-op.

I just wanna poop like a normal person
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Little over a year post rectocele repair...

and at times I also have trouble getting bm's to pass easily, not like I am constipated but like they just don't want to leave. I did ask my doctor about it and he said it could just be from the repair, mine was a rather large rectocele so they had to remove a lot of tisse to draw things up tight and he said that may make the rectum smaller than before but that it was totally normal to have and that I would just have to make sure that I did everything that I could to keep my bm's soft and moving. I did notice that with my last vaginal exam when the doctor did a rectal with his finger it was much more uncomfortable than it was prior to the repair. As for the blood, it sounds like maybe it is from hemorrhoids since it is there when you wipe, I have had that also and used an over the counter cream to help with them.
Hope this helps some...
sending s
Carmel
Unread 01-23-2003, 04:50 PM

I wouldn't worry too much, you are still early in your recovery.
Are you eating enough fiber? I am 2 years into the repair, had it with the TVH, but it really took a long time before I felt "right" again. I have to eat Fiber 1 cereal (swear by it) every day or I get into trouble! I had damage from traumatic childbirth, which left me with sphincter injury also, which does not help. I saw a
colorectal doctor about 1 year into the repair, as I was still having a lot of pain and felt the surgery did not work, but things started improving after that (no thanks to him...he was useless). I had a stupid doctor, who was a beast! Terrible experience, but I won't even go there.

It did feel "tight" at first, but diet is the most important thing.
I really don't know what to expect in the future either, now my bladder is pushing down (cystocele)...you can't win.

I have lost 25 lbs. the weight loss has helped a lot and I will continue to lose another 40 to 50 lbs. I am on a roll! LOL...tired of behing humiliated every time I see a doctor about my pelvic support problems. The weight thing is always an issue and I'm sick and tired of being nagged about it.

Good luck. Hope things improve for you.

Nel
Unread 01-24-2003, 01:35 PM

Hi MeDH

I'm just over 2 years past the repair (I had it along with my TVH in December 2000) and, until this recent episode with constipation, I'd been doing OK, from day 1.

Since I have IBS, the constipated type, I made sure to keep my bowels as soft and regular as possible, right from day one. I did this without using laxatives, because, for me, they are extremely habit forming. I only used 1 little glycerine suppository, the night before I left the castle, at 4 days post-op. I also switched to extra-strength Tylenol from the 3rd day post-op, in order to avoid constipation.

Post-Op, I was on iron pills because, thanks to the extreme bleeding both pre-op and during surgery, I was anemic, and even then remained regular, with soft bowel movements. I added fiber, in the form of bran cereals, plenty of fruits and vegetables (avoiding my IBS triggers, of course), plenty of water --- I always drink my water at body temperature or even warm, because it's less of a shock to the system and easier to digest --- and warmed prunes and prune juice, because it becomes more effective.

Because I'd been warned not to stress in order not to destroy or damage the repairs, I really avoided straining. As I mentionned, I'm now 2 years down the road and still try not to strain, not so much because of the repair anymore, but because I find it's a whole lot easier on my system. One trick I learned, during my recovery, that helped enormously, was to walk until the BM almost came out on it's own when I sat (sorry to be so graphic It's hard to explain this in a dainty manner). This meant that the whole process was very gentle. Might be something you'd like to try.

As the others mentionned, you are still very early in your recovery and, depending on the repairs you've had, you are most likely still healing. Hopefully, things will improve, on their own, as you recover.

Sending lots of s your way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register