anybody have bladder spasms pot op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anybody have bladder spasms pot op? anybody have bladder spasms pot op?

Unread 01-23-2003, 03:14 PM
anybody have bladder spasms pot op?

i am three weeks 2 days post op. since 7 days post op, i have had painful urination. i have been through 2 antibiotics and some pain med and no relief. saw the doc today and he thinks its bladder spasms. although it is lasting longer than usual, he is giving me two more weeks with a muscle relaxer. anybody have a similar experience? or any other possible options?
thanks for any info and a special thanks to hystersisters for this fabulous site!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 04:38 PM
bladder problems post op

I had my hysterectomy DEC 13 I too had baldder spasmsfor a couple of weeks and actually came home wiht the catheter for a week and switched antibotics twice.I now have baldder infection which is strange as the Dr said there was blood in the UA but did not actually show an "infection"Has anyone heard of this..Lauren
Unread 01-23-2003, 04:51 PM

hi
after my hyst i was told that if you squat when you pee it helps stop the spasms, so i tried it and it definately helped me, hope this helps !
so glad you both found this site, isnt it awesome ! have you been into the chat room yet,? we swap stories, support each other and pass round lots of hugs oh and we have fun too !hope to see you there soon
take care
love
denise
xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2003, 05:19 PM

well, this in interesting since I have a history of bladder spasms. Now I"m really nervous about post op.

Did you have this before or was this the first time???
Unread 01-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Funny you should mention that....

I just got home from a doctor's visit, and I was just about to post about it! I have also been on two antibiotics. I started with a bladder infection and spasms (though I didn't really know the spasms were spasms then!) about 2 weeks ago. My surgery was the 30th, so I am a day ahead of you! The antiobiotic seemed to help really fast, but a week later I was still having some problems with it. So, he gave me a different antibiotic and sent my urine off for a culture. This was last week. Then, this past Sunday, I started having very bad pain when I urinated, but it wasn't like normal UTI pain. It felt like a contraction when I peed, and then it cramped for about 20 minutes or so after that. I also have had this pressure feeling that feels like something is sticking out where my cervix used to be (just the only way I can think of to describe it). I called the doc on call because it was really bothering be on Sunday. She called in Urispas and told me to take it 4 times a day and to continue the antibiotic. I have been doing that, and the Urispas helps for about 1-2 hours, and then it is back until I can take another one. I have been living on Advil as often as I can take them. Then, today it was suddenly MUCH worse. I was crying and very, very uncomfortable. I have been doing pretty well in my recovery except for this evil bladder stuff, so I just kept thinking that it was going to go away. I took my Urispas and advil again today, and I finally couldn't take the pain any more. It was no longer uncomfortable but really hurt. I called the doctor's office to see if I could come in. Well, we got some snow last night and this morning (we don't get a lot of snow), and his office was closed. So, I called the beeper number. He said to continue what I was doing and to come into the office at 8 tomorrow morning. I didn't really expect him to heal me over the phone, but I thought he might have some ideas or something!

I hung up the phone and cried. I kept telling myself I could wait until tomorrow. Then, I peed and all of this blood came out with it. YUCK! It really freaked me out because I kept thinking in the back of my head that all of this couldn't really be my bladder. I went to an urgent care place down the street, and I think I have met the sweetest and best doctor in the whole world. I hadn't ever been there, and I had tears in my eyes when I signed in. The receptionist went back and got the doctor right away and he took me straight back. He said he thought I had acute cystitis, but he needed to do some tests to be sure. So, he had the nurse do a quick cath on my to get a clean urine sample (to make sure the blood was really from my bladder). There were 90-100 red blood cells in my urine. I also had some white cells. I have a history of kidney stones, but I didn't dream this had anything to do with that because I haven't had any of the back pain that I get with those. Well, he did an x-ray, and I have a big stone in my bladder! He said he thinks it is blocking urine from exiting and keeping the infection growing. He did a vaginal exam, and my vaginal cuff was also very swollen and infected. I guess once those bacteria get growing they can move out of the bladder? Or maybe it is just two things that happened at the same time. Anyway, I am so relieved that I went there. He said I needed agressive treatment, and he gave me a strong antibiotic there and sent me home with several things. I hope that all of this works. He was so nice and said that he was on call tonight. He told me to call if I needed anything and to please call him tomorrow to let him know how I was doing. He said I should go ahead and go to my doctor's appointment tomorrow too. So, I am going to see him. I am not sure why since he will probably think it is weird after I went to see someone else already???

Sorry this got so long, but I wanted to tell you that you should probably get checked again to make sure the infection isn't still there and getting worse. I had pretty much dismissed that mentally, and I think my doc had too since I had been on antibiotics twice. I am 3 and 1/2 weeks post, and I am really ready for this bladder stuff to stop. My doc did say that I had some stitches on my bladder and they can cause severe spasms as they start to disolve. I just thought that was the cause until it kept getting worse. I hope that the other bladder spasm people feel better soon!

Amy
Unread 01-23-2003, 06:12 PM
Yep...still having them 2 mths postop

My bladder spasms were noticeable about 7 days postop...they were probably there all along; but, due to the heavy meds, I just didn't notice them until I was only taking Motrin for my pain. I have had a lifelong of bladder infections, so I was pretty certain that the horrible pain I was having was not an infection. These spasms were the worst (for me) 3-5 wks postop. I am almost 9 wks postop now and still have them occasionally. I would definitely get a urine spec done at your Dr if you're unsure, the least bit unsure that is.

Sometimes these spasms would make me hurt for hours, sometimes I didn't even want to straighten my entire body out, I just wanted to lay there curled up. I still go thru achy spurts where I wish I was at home in bed rather than sitting at work staring at a computer...I just go sit in the bathroom until the edge of the pain wears off.

Anyway, sorry for your pain, sounds like we're all there!! Also, sorry ((((AMY)))) for your extra pain at such an inconvenient (not that it's ever convenient) time.
Unread 01-23-2003, 06:31 PM

I am just one week post op today and peeing is an adventure. I feel like my urethra is in spasm. I've been using a squirt bottle (empty dishwashing liquid with squirt top) with warm water and aiming a stream at my urethra before and after urinating and it feels much better. I also thinks this keeps my outer pubic region clean of urine. I had some vaginal wall repair and my vulva is pretty sensitve to any irritation, so keeping it clean helps. Anyway I don't know that this will help you but I don't see how it could hurt. They had me use a similar technique after I had a baby thirty years ago.
Unread 01-23-2003, 10:18 PM

I am sorry to hear so many people are having trouble with the bladder spasm issue. I am already feeling some better after my trip to the doc, and I hope the rest of you get rid of them soon. I have to say that reading the post about still having them at 2 months post op depressed me! I hope mine don't last that long. I am tired of it already!

Amy
Unread 01-24-2003, 06:11 AM

I am a week and 3 days post op, I have noticed also I am having painful urination. I had my staples removed this past Tuesday, and had questions in mind to ask , and they had such a tough time with my last staple that i forgot any question I was needing to ask. I assumed it was from the catheter, but it has not gotten any better. I am giving it until the end of this week and if there is no change I am going to call the doc. It is not a pain as if it was a bladder infection or anything, it is an internal pain. And it does not feel as if it is a normal release of the urine. Or a complete empty of the bladder. I don't know does any of this sound familiar? And you know I have had constant butterflies since my surgery also. I had a complete hysterectomy.
Unread 01-24-2003, 08:30 AM

Lisann:

I would call the doctor. Mine didn't feel like a normal bladder infection either. My pain was more like a contraction or bad cramp when I urinated. I think I should have called earlier, but they originally thought it was just the bladder spasms that are common I guess. I hope you feel better soon!

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register