changing the v-dot on time matters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

changing the v-dot on time matters changing the v-dot on time matters

Unread 01-24-2003, 08:29 AM
changing the v-dot on time matters

I fogged last night and forgot it was patch-changing day. Oh brother! The reminder I got with the hot flashes and night sweats won't let me repeat that bone-headed mistake!

Just surprised my body is that sensitive I suppose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2003, 08:35 AM

my body is that sensitive too! i'm on creams and gels that i have not completey forgotten except for a couple of hours. if i'm late it gets really HOT in here! that's my new favorite line in the house anyway..."is it hot in here?" i am no longer a reliable source for what the temp is
Unread 01-24-2003, 10:48 AM

My body is not only that sensitive (only with me it's dry eyes that are the symptom) but seems to need to change every other day if I've worked out both days! Luckily my wrote the script for "every other day" so if I need to, I can change more often, as I need it. And I certainly can't do the "three days/four days route" -- have to change midway on that third day or I'm miserable...

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2003, 11:24 AM
question for Audrey

Audrey,

do you know, or did your doc tell you, what the connection between hormones and exercise is? Is your doc unusual in letting you decide when to change the patch? Is it because you on such a low dose anyway, that probably can't do any harm?

just curious....
Unread 01-24-2003, 11:41 AM

Clare:

My research here and elsewhere indicated that exercise increases estrogen metabolism, and I was finding that my patch just didn't last as long as it had been once I started back up with real workouts again.

My doctor and I worked out a plan: she writes the script for "every other day" and I change it as I feel I need to, using the dry eyes as my guide (that seems to be the most sensitive to me). I also put the patch on my rear end to increase the absorption, which helped, but I still found that I metabolized it too rapidly those first two weeks. I did also increase my progesterone cream to off-set it some, which seems to be working OK.

I have a great doctor who also had a hyst and premature ovarian failure. She says that she has a tendency to just reach for whichever Vivelle patch is in her sample closet at the time (a regimen which she does NOT endorse, BTW) and she is very understanding of my desire to titrate my doses as I need them, trying to keep the exposure as minimal as possible still.

The testosterone seems to have helped. I was going to go up to .0375, but for now the .025 is still meeting my needs...

Are you finding the Estrace not enough some of the time! I know that you are a lot more active than I am...my herniated neck discs are slowing down my activity level, but I still try to run/walk (that "geriatric jog" thing, all I can do with my asthma and neck) two miles daily (about 25 minutes worth of aerobic), free weights twice a week, and 15 - 20 minutes of yoga/Pilates-based moves daily. That's about all I have the time or energy or body for. It still doesn't seem to be enough for me...I'm putting on weight at an alarming rate in spite of changes in eating habits as well...

Hope this answers your question?

Audrey
Unread 01-24-2003, 12:01 PM

Hi,
yes, I sometimes feel my estradiol pill wears off, but because it's a high dose anyway, I don't think I can do anything about it. I will likely experiment with using the patch at some point.

You are doing great on your exercise! I am not able, because it's so unbelievably cold here, to run as I'd like, but I am enjoying trying weightlifting and I absolutely love the Pilates. My back has never felt this limber (still can't touch my toes though....)
Unread 01-25-2003, 05:52 AM

Hi MeDHanddaDog,

I've posted on your issue before. If don't change my patch on time I'm miserable. It just happened this last week. I woke up at 3:00 with night sweats & nauseous. The same thing happens every time. I get symptoms like I'm coming down with a flu. I also get real shaky. I've been applying the V.Dot for 2 years now & I've forgotten to change it on time more than just a few occasions. My DH even recognizes my symptoms. He can't help notice when I'm tossing & turning in the middle of the night with night sweats. It keeps him awake also. The same type of symptoms started a while back before It was time to change my patch & my blood work determined my estrogen level was low. My DR increased my strength and that problem was resolved. At least for now it is. I hope the patch works out well for you.

Sister Katie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register