Back Pain??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Back Pain???

ladies:

Here I go again, scheduled for a LSO/adhesion surgery 2/21, the earliest DR could schedule....

My question or problem is that my back actually feels like it going to break in two especially after being on my feet for some time. What is up with that!!!, has any else experienced back pain with cyst or adhesions.... for pete sake... I just want to make sure I'm not having this surgery and then wake up the next day in the same pain. Can you tell I am getting cold feet??

Oh well, I just thought maybe someone might have some input on the back thing.... it's driving me crazy...it keeps breaking through the pain meds too.

Let me know ladies, I think I've lost my mind!

DLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Back Pain???

DLK

Can't tell you if you've lost your mind. Also can't promise you that the surgery will get rid of your back pain. Wish I could. I had severe back/hip/leg pain before my TAH/LSO and thought the surgery would help relieve that pain. Unfortunately, I am 3 months post op and still in pain! I hope this isn't the case for you! Good luck!
Unread 01-24-2003, 06:02 PM
Back Pain???

thanks vbj---- LOL --- can you imagine us all running around trying to find it----I actually think I saw my DH hunting the other day

I'm sorry you are still in pain, any ideas of what's causing yours?

I had to have c-sections with all my children so I don't know this first handed but some ladies have expressed that back pain was associated with their labor. I also experienced a lot of back pains when I had my periods, I wonder if this could be relative???

Do you think or am I grasping for straws here?

thanks for the reply
DLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Back Pain???

Nah, I don't think you are grasping for straws. You just want a reason for your pain and way to manage it. I don't think that's asking too much!

Ideas on what's causing my pain? Depends on who you ask. Protruding discs, scoliosis, degenerative changes of joints, MPS/FMS, depression, adhesions, cysts......and I've probably forgotten a few. I also had severe back and leg pain with periods. Guess that's what made me think the TAH/LSO would help. I don't mean to be a downer though, I have heard success stories and I hope this will be the case with you.

Tell your DH that if he sees my mind while he is hunting for yours to pack it up and send it my way. It's been missing for so long, I wouldn't know what to do if I found it.
Unread 01-24-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey you two...

I'm in the same boat with the back pain. Was most excruciating at ovulation and then during/after period. By December, I was down to about 3 days of only moderate pain. Hard to belive it *wasn't* related to a GYN issue. MD thought probably adeno was the culprit, since I wasn't exhibiting classic endo symptoms (altho that was found). Everyone keeps telling me it's too early to tell that the pain hasn't been relieved by the surgery, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. So, I started hunting around on the internet for other possible causes. 1) Endo *on* the sciatic nerve or surrounding tissue; supposedly very uncommon, but I'm wondering if it just goes undiagnosed. 2) Piriformis muscle is another possible (and of course "uncommon") location for endo; pain is most noticeable in the very low back, butt and hip down into the thigh, as opposed to the sciatic pain which usually shoots all the way down the leg. In either case, the endo can also cause scarring, which would also irritate the sciatic nerve or the muscle. So, if you have at least 1 ovary, it is possible that endo in a non-GYN area could be the culprit. Since I don't have any ovaries, I doubt that's my issue (unless there's scar tissue at work), but I think this information is important enough to share. It's too easy to brush off the back pain as disc-related.

DLK - in your case, has adenomyosis been considered?
Unread 01-25-2003, 09:11 AM
DLK

Hello

I've had the same type of description for my lower back/sacrum area pain for months now. So, I definetly feel for you Sister! When mine goes into spasm, it feels like my sacrum is going to crack in half!! BTW, MRI I had a couple weeks ago was negative...so, it's not related to my spine, etc.

I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis a couple of weeks ago, which is inflammation of the interior wall of the bladder. I have constant bladder pain, urgency and frequency. Who knows if this is even remotely related to the back pain But, I see my GYN this next Thursday for a follow-up after the breast biopsy (negative for malignancy!!!) and for the appt I had with the Uro who diagnosed the IC.

I'm with my body 24/7 and still have a strong feeling that this pain is somehow related to adhesions. GYN did say that with LAVH, adhesions are unlikely, not impossible...but unlikely.

Just wanted to let you know you do not suffer alone...

Keep us posted, your journey helps those following along the same road behind you.

Lori
Unread 01-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Back Pain???

I had several laproscopic procedures in my earlier problem years but was never diagnosed with endo or adeno.... The fibroid came on suddenly grew from very small to 20 wk pregnant uterus size in 6 mos. I have always had problems w/ cystic ovaries, heavy periods and painful cramps but never diagnosed with anything out of the ordinary.

My bladder only complicates the pain when I can't get to the bathroom right away and its full (no leaking though)but I also have that extra pain if I have to have a bm too. Almost like everything is crowded and no more room for the normal functions???It also is much more frequent when I have been on my feet alot or have to stand or sit same position for long periods of time.:cry:

I considered a MRI but haven't seen my GP for this yet, was trying to decide a wait and see approach after surgery?

I guess my concern is that I don't want to have another surgery w/o cause but I know something is definitely wrong for this kind of ab pain etc. Now I wonder is the back pain just another symptom of whatever or do I have more fun to look forward to after surgery. I can't continue to put my DH and family through this medical stuff. It exhaust me and by the time I try and get through a full day at work I am useless at home. I have even started missing some work recently. The back seems to be prominent in the pain area because it is breaking through the codeine and ibuprofen I am taking.

Thanks for the input ladies and I'll keep you posted on what the outcome is... I still have a whole month before I even start to get hopefully some kind of relief.

DLK
Unread 01-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Just a couple of points

Lori-- I have a lot of pain in the SI region too!! My (ex) GP said that could be left over from childbirth (4x). I had an MRI which showed a slight protrusion of the L5/S1 disc. However, nuerosurgeon did not feel that would cause pain to the extreme that I feel. (How exactly do they know how much pain something causes? I thought every one's pain threshold was different.) I've also had an EXTREMELY sensitive bladder since the hyst so, I wonder if maybe their is a connection there?!?! Would be curious as to what you find out about that.

Babster-- Endo can still be an issue even if you don't have ovaries. Microscopic endo that was not removed at surgery time or HRT can cause endo to re-grow-- unfortunately there is no cure for endo. My Gyn seemed to think that adhesions and scar tissue can cause considerable pain. (Of course, there are differing opinions on that.)

Sorry that the two of you are suffering too!! I wish there was a clear cut answer for all of us. I just got home from a major grocery shopping trip at Super Wal-Mart and am really feeling the SI pain. Downed 2 Aleve on the way home and am on my way to find the heating pad. Take care all!
Unread 01-25-2003, 04:11 PM
VB...

Just curious,

Is your lower back/sacrum pain aggravated or worse if you stand or walk??? Mine sure is....geez, somedays, by the time I get out of the shower I have to spend 10 or so minutes laying flat on the bed waiting out the pain/spasms.

Also, when I palpate the sacrum & lower spine muscles, it hurts!

We know it's not spinal related...negative MRI and DH is a chiropractor

My pain always seems worse in the morning or if I walk/stand for 10-15 minutes. It's frustrating, isn't it?

Lori

P.S.

I only had 1 child....
Unread 01-25-2003, 06:26 PM
YES!

Yes Lori, walking or standing for prolonged periods puts me in an excruciating amount of pain! As someone said, it feels like someone is literally trying to break me apart -- like a wishbone! I know I will never be able to work at a job where I am on my feet again. Was telling BF on the way home from shopping today, that particular chore (pushing the cart around to get 2 weeks worth of groceries for 5 or 6 people) puts me in tears by the time I am finished and has for the past 5 years or so.

I also have several "trigger points" along my lower back/hip/buttock area so says the rheumy. Says these are due to Myofascial Pain Syndrome. Was set to have trigger point injections prior to hyst.

YES IT IS FRUSTRATING!!! And I feel for anyone that goes through it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register