Study found Adhesions to contain nerve fibers! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Study found Adhesions to contain nerve fibers! Study found Adhesions to contain nerve fibers!

Unread 01-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Study found Adhesions to contain nerve fibers!

((Sisters)),
I just ran across this abstract from a study done on Pelvic Pain & Adhesions! Should we mass mail it to all those Drs who have told us "Adhesions dont cause pain" This study made me feel more validated in the pain I suffer, as well as knowing that people are looking/researching/trying to find answers

Sulaiman H, Gabella G, Davis MSc C, Mutsaers SE, Boulos P, Laurent GJ, Herrick SE.Presence and distribution of sensory nerve fibers in human Peritoneal adhesions. Ann Surge 2001 Aug; 234(2):256-61

Department of Medicine, University College London, The Rayne Institute, London, UK.

Quote:
OBJECTIVE: To assess the distribution and type of nerve fibers present in human peritoneal adhesions and to relate data on location and size of nerves with estimated age and with clinical parameters such as reports of chronic pelvic pain.

SUMMARY BACKGROUND DATA: Peritoneal adhesions are implicated in the cause of chronic abdominopelvic pain, and many patients are relieved of their symptoms after adhesiolysis. Adhesions are thought to cause pain indirectly by restricting organ motion, thus stretching and pulling smooth muscle of adjacent viscera or the abdominal wall. However, in mapping studies using microlaparoscopic techniques, 80% of patients with pelvic adhesions reported tenderness when these structures were probed, an observation suggesting that adhesions themselves are capable of generating pain stimuli.

METHODS: Human peritoneal adhesions were collected from 25 patients undergoing laparotomy, 20 of whom reported chronic pelvic pain. Tissue samples were prepared for histologic, immunohistochemical, and ultrastructural analysis. Nerve fibers were characterized using antibodies against several neuronal markers, including those expressed by sensory nerve fibers. In addition, the distribution of nerve fibers, their orientation, and their association with blood vessels were investigated by acetylcholinesterase histo-chemistry and dual immunolocalization.

RESULTS: Nerve fibers, identified histologically, ultrastructurally, and immunohistochemically, were present in all the peritoneal adhesions examined. The location of the adhesion, its size, and its estimated age did not influence the type of nerve fibers found. Further, fibers expressing the sensory neuronal markers calcitonin gene-related protein and substance P were present in all adhesions irrespective of reports of chronic abdominopelvic pain. The nerves comprised both myelinated and nonmyelinated axons and were often, but not invariably, associated with blood vessels.

CONCLUSIONS: This study provides the first direct evidence for the presence of sensory nerve fibers in human peritoneal adhesions, suggesting that these structures may be capable of conducting pain after appropriate stimulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2003, 05:52 PM

Thanks Sheri!!!

Your always looking out for us!!!

I guess that shoots out the idea that "It's all in our heads"

Unread 01-25-2003, 08:58 PM

Woo Hoo !!!!!!

I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy !!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Sheri ! I'm just a few days past 3 months post-op and have been in physical therapy for 6 weeks now for MPS. My therapist keeps implying that she feels more adhesions around my belly button already, and I can testify to the fact that certain stimulation most definitely causes pain !!! I wish I could either print or e-mail that info to everyone who has made me feel like a big baby or a hypochondriac !!! Hey, maybe I will !!!

Love you, girls! Hang in there -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2003, 11:26 PM

Thanks Sheri - you do SO much for us !! Heres a for ya !
This info is GREAT - I love it ! I might print it out & bring it in to my PM app. on Thur. It seems like there are so many studies being done for the benefit of women . Its enough to give us hope anyway.
One of these days we are all gonna have that "end of the road" party !
Thanks again Sheri.

Susan
Unread 01-25-2003, 11:35 PM
THAT IS SUCH GREAT NEWS....

THANK YOU SO MUCH SHERI..

I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FOR ALMOST 8YRS FROM ADHESIONS AND HAVE HAD WAY TO MUCH SURGERY BECAUSE OF THEM, INCLUDING (ONLY ONE OF THE REASONS)MY HYSTERECTOMY AND I AM ONLY 30YRS OLD.. IT IS VERY HARD TO FIND A DR. WHO BELIEVES ANYTHING YOU SAY ABOUT ADHESIONS.. I PLAN ON SENDING THIS INFO. TO ALOT OF PEOPLE INCLUDING DRS. THAT
ARE FRIENDS OF MINE AND MY HUSBANDS..

WE KNOW WE ARE NOT CRAZY..(OK MAYBE A LITTLE,)LOL BUT THE DRS. MAKE US THINK WE ARE..

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO.. THIS REALLY TOUCHED MY SOUL AND HEART.. I HAVE BEEN IN PAIN WAY TO LONG FROM THIS SAD
AND DEADLY DISEASE.....

LOTS OF HUGS AND PRAYERS NICKY
Unread 01-26-2003, 08:56 AM

I'm so glad it helped Someday girls, answers & relief will be found for us! Hang in there
(((hugs)))
Unread 01-26-2003, 11:24 AM
HOPEFULLY REAL SOON!!

I JUST HOPE IT IS REAL SOON.. PEOPLE DONT KNOW HOW BAD WE DO SUFFER..

PRAYERS TO YOU SHERI!! HUGS NICKY
Unread 01-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Well, how 'bout that?

Sheri, thank you so much for the info., I too may print it out for my pm Dr.(not that he doesn't feel I have pain, he does) but I think it's educational all the way around. Thanks again!!!! Now I too know I'm not nuts...at least not yet....Love to ya, Cathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register