Hospital Stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay Hospital Stay

Unread 01-25-2003, 11:34 AM
Hospital Stay

I am scheduled for a TVH on 2-4-03. My insurance company has only approved a 1 night stay in the hospital. This doesn't sound like very much. The doctor's office said if I had to stay longer there would be no problem getting it approved. Still I am concerned. I don't want to come home too soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Hospital Stay

Bennie,
Not to worry Bennie, this is a typical hospital response. I was told by my doctors the same exact thing and then the doctor would call for any days I needed to stay longer. If it makes you feel more comfortable just give the insurance company a call to make sure everything is taken care of. I was in for 2 nights. The doctor just called and told them I needed one more night! I hope everything goes well for you!!
Unread 01-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi Bennie!
I was in for two nights and it was plenty. You have enough to think about, don't you worry, they won't let you leave unless you're ready.
Best wishes,
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Beware of castle spies...

My insurance initially said it would cover 2 nights in the castle for my LAVH/BSO, but when they found out that I was up & walking so soon (5 hours post-op) and not experiencing any complications, they advised my MD that they would cover only 1 night. Oh, my doc was sooo mad :burning: and the castle nurse felt horrible having to relay this news to me. I was told that if I felt that I needed more time, they'd make the necessary calls to my insurance, but I really was ready to leave. Getting in & out of the hospital bed and dragging along the IV to pee every 15 minutes was causing me more grief than anything, and I knew that would be easier to do from a normal bed. Plus, the doc & hospital would only be minutes away from where I was staying, so I felt safe about checking out. I was just annoyed to find out that there are insurance "spies" (aka hospital utilization) lurking in the castle and snooping around in the nursing notes to find out how you're doing

So, my advice to all LIWs is: if you're in a similar situation with insurance and want to make sure you don't get booted before you're ready, don't tell anyone that you feel good!! Or at least exaggerate a little about being in pain or something. God, isn't that an awful thing? To be punished for *not* having complications.
Unread 01-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Hospital Stay

hi I just had a vaginal the 21 of Jan and stayed only 1 night.It was ok . At first i was mad and wanted to stay longer but I didnt want them taking my blood any more and I couldnt sleep. Iam having problems with my bowels though. I cant go #2 eith out hurting and Im mad that they didnt tell me anything bout that. Good luck with yours steph
Unread 01-25-2003, 12:59 PM
I was only approved for 1 night also...

and I had a TAH & BSO on Wednesday (1/22). Like someone else said the nursing notes are sent to the insurace company and they extend your stay as needed. This is how a lot of insurance companies do it. I was in for 2 nights, left around 10:30 am on day 3. I know it's hard to imagine, but I felt so much better being home. It starts getting really boring and uncomfortable in the hospital. Especially when they are running on emergency generator power and there is no tv from 5:30 pm to midnight!

Take care, it will all work out,
Lynn

PS- Hey, look everybody I'm a
Unread 01-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Babster has a point

but my doc told me, do not report passing gas or eating to the nurses since they are duty bound to report that in your notes, which could affect insurance coverage. I thought he was being kinda silly at the time, but fart I did not in front of the nurse. He also would not write orders for food for the same fear. Dh was eating in the room if anyone asked. Gyn told me on the second day, I could eat if I was hungry, just don't get caught.

Different insurances have different criteria on how long hospitalization is necessary. Since it was medically necessary for me to be catheratized post op for 48 hours due to the bladder repairs, I think my gyn's worries were for naught. Altho, they could have sent me home with a cath, shudder! I also live 2.5 hours from the hospital and the only option with early release would be a hotel room. Been there with a same day surgery, miserable doing that.

Generally, bowel sounds and pain control without IV meds has to be acheived before a patient is released.
Unread 01-25-2003, 02:02 PM
MeDH -- Bingo

Okay, now I see what happened. Little eager beaver that I am, I was soooo proud to report to the nurses that I had passed gas about 12 hours post-op. It was such a tiny squeak of a toot that it probably was not the "real thing" anyway. But noooo, I had to make an announcement about it . However, I don't think the nurse really believed me -- told me I essentially had to have a "witness" for the event, which happened the next morning . It was about 4 hours later that I was told about the change in coverage. Had I only known... I never did eat anything (even broth made me ill), but I was off the IV and on oral pain meds the morning after.

Ironically, it was due to all the posts I'd read here (about gas passing being a critical turning point) that I was making a fuss about this in the castle. I wondered why the nurses kept telling me not to worry about it and not to try forcing the issue; that it was very normal to not pass gas for a day or two. DUH!

Note to self: keep mouth shut regarding wise advice from hystersisters site.

MeDHanddaDog -- I should have hired you as my hospital advocate, to ward off the spies with a pitchfork
Unread 01-25-2003, 02:16 PM
1 night castle stay

I had my TVH on 1/13/03 and only spent one night in the hospital. My insurance co. had oked 2 nights but the nurses were driving me crazy. I figured if I had to be uncomfortable there's no place like home to be. You didn't mention if you were going to have help or be there alone. I would say if you have help that it won't be too soon. Why be miserable with strangers when you can torture your family instead???
Unread 01-25-2003, 03:55 PM
Hospital Stay

(((cakewoman)))
They gave me stool softeners in the castle after I requested it. Knowing all to well that pain meds have opiates in them they do tend to get you stopped up. If you have a problem with it check with your dr. as they can tell you what is safe to take.

The morning my epidural came out, My dr. said depending on how I was doing I could get released that day later in the evening. My epidural stayed in for 24 hours and I didn't get to eat a solid meal until several hours after it came out. Lunch was two hours late since they forgot my tray. I got nauseated after I ate and needed zofran. Still hadn't Around 4, I took a walk down the hall and met my dr. and we agreed that I could stay another night. After awhile I thought I wish I would have gone home as I was very lonely missing my family but when I needed more zofran at 2 am I was glad to be there taking care of it right away and not at home

Pain is best controlled in the hospital the first 24 hours.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register