Infection at vaginal cuff. Depressed..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Infection at vaginal cuff.  Depressed..... Infection at vaginal cuff. Depressed.....

Unread 01-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Infection at vaginal cuff. Depressed.....

And so it goes.....I'm 7 weeks and a little bit from the operation and went to the doctor yesterday to find out why I am still so sore. I thought it might just be dryness or lack of hormones. Well, I found out what is wrong. There is an infection that has formed at the vaginal cuff. It seems there is a suture in there that hasn't dissolved and around it is all inflammed and a "white ball" (the doctor's words) has formed.
Has anyone out there had this happen to them? The doctor was Saying that although this wasn't common, it can happen and cautioning me saying if I have any fever to call immediately. She is saying that it will take 10 days to two weeks to clear up with antibiotics. Sigh. Okay, I'm not a very patient person.
Anyway, has this happened to anyone else out there? Did the antibiotics clear it up? I'm almost afraid to ask what they might do if it doesn't clear up....will they need to operate again? In addition to not being very patient, I also tend to worry alot!
Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2003, 05:43 PM

to you Francgal

I have had what you have and know it's sure no picnic. Your Doc has caught yours earlier than mine did and the anti-biotics may very well do the trick. Did your doctor mention granulation at the site to by any chance? What kind of anti's did he give you? Please make sure you follow his directions in taking your temp several times a day and journal it. If it hits 100 call him and let him know.

As this clears up you may also start to notice some bloody dis-charge...my doc said some was normal but also keep an eye for that. As the infection clears it has to go somewhere and will cause this..( most times you shouldn't notice it) Again if this becomes bothersome please call your doc and let him know.

My doc didn't catch mine early enough and pay attention to certain things and I did end up in the castle for 10 days. This is because my infection turned into an abscess...if it does get to that point it usually does not require surgery. ( but may, depending on the doc) What they do is treat any granulation vaginally and then put in what's called a perctuneous drain. You have less a chance of this happening as your doc seems like he listens to you and is really trying to keep things in check.

Please keep us posted on how your doing...lots of wonderful sisters here to help hold your hand...

Oh...and one more thing...since you said your not a patient person.. I hate to say this..but you really should rest...a lot...off your feet as much as you possibly can..it will help with the clearing up of the infection and help with the pain that goes with it. Oh and don't use heat...it will inflame it. ( I was told this by two nurses in the castle when I asked for a heating pad)

lots of

Dawn
Unread 01-25-2003, 07:24 PM

Dawn:
Thank you so much for your reply....things were going pretty well at the 5th week, I was getting up and around etc, so this has been a bit of a downer. Thank you for all the advice. Doctor said to watch my temperature, but didn't give me any other tips. Now I won't freak if I start to bleed alittle bit. Actually, the way she described it as a ball started me thinking if it would "pop" and what would happen if it did. (ICK!) Hopefully this will not turn into anything larger. I have been given amoxicillin (huge horsepills!) The doctor didn't mention anything about granulation at all at the 6 wk appt. Said things were still healing, but had cleared me for everything, just told me to take it slow as I had alot of internal work done for endo esp on my right side (which conincidentally is the side that this current infection is on) 10 days in the hospital couldn't have been easy for you, I feel bad you had to go thru that. Thank you again for all your advice, this board is so great in that I never feel like I'm alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2003, 10:41 PM

I'm glad I could help a little sweetie!!! It really does help sometimes to know your not the only one that has gone thru something like this. You can find some other sisters that have also by going to the search engine and typing in "abscess" or "cuff cellulitus" . There have been a few more than me

I did want to mention to please be active in your care with this kind of thing. Don't let the doc fob you off if you feel you need more answers or it's not clearing up on the anti's he has you on. A few sisters here have had to use the stronger anti-biotic called levaquan to really get rid of it.

If there's anything more I can do let me know!!!

Dawn
Unread 01-27-2003, 08:41 AM

I went for my 5 week checkup last Thursday. I figured I would get cleared for all activity. WRONG! I was told to take another week off and given Flagyl er 750mg for an infection also. MD said that I had an infection in the stitches. Has anyone used this. How did it work. I have another appointment Feb. 3. Maybe this one will be better.
Unread 01-27-2003, 02:12 PM

Hey Francgal,

I had a cuff cellulitis. I started bleeding 9 days post op...fairly heavy, like a period. It slowed down to spotting at 4 weeks. At my six week checkup the Dr. started treating the infection. Great, huh? So...it got 'severe' before it was treated. The "severe" is a quote from my gyn, not my opinion. Anyway, after three weeks of antibiotics the cuff healed. I am not having any cuff problems at all anymore.

I am having hoards of pain in my vertical incision (the one under the skin). I am on the Dr. Merry-go-round right now. A couple Drs have said that the cellulitis may have gotten up there and I am having an inflammatory reaction to it. (this infection was 6 months ago) Others have said there is something wrong with the vertical incision under the skin. However, I have yet to find someone that will fix whatever the problem is.

But...hopefully your infection is not the spreading type and once cleared up you will be fine.

Best of luck to you,
Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register