1 year post-tailbone pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 year post-tailbone pain 1 year post-tailbone pain

Unread 01-27-2003, 12:00 PM
1 year post-tailbone pain

Hey all- me again

I get a pain in my tailbone area after doing housework and/or sitting down for more than 1/2 hour. Anyone experience this? What could the cause be?

Thanks a bunch -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 12:14 PM

Hey TMel,

You know, I have had the same exact tailbone pain since I had a proceedure called a presacral neurectomy last year. Since the PSN didn't cure my pelvic pain, the last year I've been focusing on the other awful uterine pain (adenomyosis) and haven't much worried about the tailbone pain. But now, since my SAH seems to have fixed the adenomyosis, I am planning to follow up with my Dr about the tailbone thing.

One question for you: have you noticed any other changes in pelvic sensation? I have definately had some other changes. Er, um, how to say this -- very overly sensitive, even painful, clitoral area. Toilet paper is too much. And other sorts of changes (some desensitization) elsewhere. All changes were noticable the moment I woke from the laparoscopy/neurectomy.

I too am interested in others replies and will post if I find anything out, myself. Please do the same and know you are not alone.

Blessings on your day!
Loretta
Unread 01-27-2003, 12:27 PM

Hey Loretta -

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not suffering from anything like you. I am suffering from bladder retention though (maybe bowel too). You can check out previous posts on this site to fill you in more.

I too hope that someone else will be along to shed some light.

Thanks again - Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 02:52 PM
THat's soooo odd!

I have had bad tailbone pain also. And thinking about it, it started after my hyst May of 2001
. (TAH/RSO) It gets really bad at times that I litterally cannot sit down.

Do you also notice that if you have been sitting for a while (mine hurts after less than 5 minutes, not time without pain anymore) then try to get up the pain is worse? Then to walk is agony, then it starts to ease up. Only to start all over again the minute you sit down.

I have days that it's sore but tollerable as long as I don't sit for too long at one time. And then there are some days that no matter how long I sit, stand, walk, etc, I'm in agony. I cannot sit in a chair without a cushion, I can't sit on the floor in my living room on the carpet anymore either. My hubby is great about giving me neck rubs to help my neck and shoulder pain from my fibromyalgia. I usually sit in front of him on the floor while he is up on the couch, but now I have to pull a cushion off the couch and sit on that.

I spoke with my doc about it and she has no idea. I had xrays taken from a chiropractor and it didn't show anything, but she said that it may be something with the muscle tissue around it instead of the bone. My regular doc isn't interrested in finding the problem.

So please, if you get any idea about what it is please let me know. Then I will know what to tell my doc to look for.

Hope you find your answers soon.
Unread 01-28-2003, 07:15 AM

Mel,

I'm curious...do you have a history of Endometriosis? The reason I ask, is this 'can' be one of the symptoms. You see, I suffer from Endo, and have tailbone pain almost daily. In my research (that I can't find since I moved 1 year ago) I discovered that this pain 'could' be attributed to endo near/on the bladder.

The brain may be mistaken...so please get this checked out with your doc.

Let us know if you find anything out...Sending you many S

P.S. I'm heading out to the dr soon...but if I can dig up that info, I'll be sure to post it here.
Unread 01-28-2003, 08:32 AM

i have chronic tail bone pain and it gets much worse if i am even the slightest bit constipated. a big help for me (and i know this sounds like it won't help) is to sit with your little (leftover) hyster pillow in the small of your back. i hope this helps relieve at least a little of your pain.
Unread 02-09-2003, 03:29 PM
1year post pain

I had a LAVH one year ago and have had tailbone and peritineal pain ever since. I have a terrible time sitting for any length of time, am always miserable driving the car. I sometimes have the pain become so bad it travels down my legs as well. I have had MRI's, etc. and both OB-GYN"S (2 "hot shots" from Northwestern University) have "no idea" why I have the persistent pain. I am worried that it may never go away or really be identifiable enough for anyone to treat it! I have been very depressed recently because I did not feel BAD before having the hysterectomy--which was for a fibroid that was growing. I feel that the surgery was the worst decision I ever made, in retrospect. If anyone else has any experience with this sort of chronic pain outcome please tell us what one can do about it!
Unread 02-09-2003, 04:53 PM

My story is a little different. I actually fractured my tailbone approx. 12 years ago falling down some stairs. OUCH! Most unbearable pain I have ever experienced (and I've had 4 kids, tubal, gallbladder surgery and hyst!) I have experienced many of the residual pain you ladies have suggested. Driving my son's stick shift truck causes agony. The rolled towel or small pillow behind the small of the back helps some. Also heat and Aspircream. PT has told me it is invaluable to have strong back and ab muscles to relieve the wear and tear on this area. Good luck to all who are suffereing from this. Not sure it has anything to do with the hyst (at least not for me.)
Unread 02-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Me Too

I have had tailbone pain for years - - and it was always worse with PMS. Since my hysterectomy it has gotten SO much better. I still get pain from time to time, but only when I am not being careful with my back.

Before my surgery I had been in physical therapy (over and over) and was told it was alignment and muscles, plus a disk problem.

Be sure to ask your doctor. I ended up having an MRI.

*This is NOT medical advice - it's just my opinion with my own personal experience.
Unread 02-15-2003, 06:25 AM
weight loss?

prior to my hyster, I lost about 8lbs. and I started having tailbone pain. I then freaked out when I was diagnosed with CIS, I thought that it may have spread to that area.
As it turns out, I have had many women say that they experienced this pain with weight loss. It makes sense to me. Not that this is the case for everyone, but I know my built in cushion has gotten a little smaller so now I have more pressure on that area.
Just something to consider.
Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register