Follow up Mammogram tomorrow - yikes! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Follow up Mammogram tomorrow - yikes! Follow up Mammogram tomorrow - yikes!

Unread 01-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Follow up Mammogram tomorrow - yikes!

Hi girls, I go for my follow up mammogram tomorrow and I'm nervous as heck!

6mths ago you might remember I went for a mammogram as I was having pain in my left breast and could feel a lump......well they saw something and had me come back for another mammo and an ultrasound......50 million xrays later they said in the report they were "unable to indentify the mass but felt that checking it again in 6mths was reasonable"...........so here I am 6mths later.

wish me luck, I will let you all know how it went on Wed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 04:02 PM
wishing you luck

Going to be doing this myself soon so I know the anxiety. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

I found a breast surgeon, supposedly the best one in St. Louis, that is going to do a needle biopsy, get some cells on a slide and then we know exactly what we are dealing with. Nurse was super nice when I called today and stressed why I thought frequent follow up on breast issues was important to a surgically menopausal woman taking estrogen. Good to know I have allies in my health care. Very reassuring.
Unread 01-27-2003, 04:21 PM

well my GP keeps making small of that very thing....and this breast never hurt at all until I had the hyst....so I see a connection.....they haven't done a biopsy yet, just the ultrasound and mammo's.......????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2003, 04:21 PM

((((Gidge))))))) I remember this and how scared you were

(((((Sweetie)))))) Of course I'm wishing you the best of luck. Hopefully, they'll find nothing at all

Please let us know the minute you find out what's going on
Unread 01-27-2003, 04:37 PM

thanks Dany

That's what freaked me out the last time, cause when they were doing the ultrasound they kept saying "I can't find it" and "I can't see it" and I kept saying "well that's good news that means there's nothing there" and she said "NO there is definitely something there, we ALL saw it".......

so fingers crossed and all that jazz and yes hopefully I will know something when I leave there tomorrow!!!
Unread 01-27-2003, 04:46 PM

Hi Ladies,

I had a similar situation Gidge, in October. They saw calcifications and I have to go for a follow up in March. I'm nervous about that as you are. Did your Dr. say it was calcifications or just a mass that was too small to biopsy? With me they said probably benign, but then you wonder why they want to follow up in six months. This happened to me about 5 months post and taking HRT, so you do wonder if it is related. Oh well, best of luck, hope everything is OK.

Take care

s

Marta

Unread 01-27-2003, 04:55 PM

Marta, at the diagnostic centre they definitely said "lump" and "growth" and "mass" and then the report that came to my doc said that after many films they were still unable to identify what the mass was, but as it did not seem to have any malignant characteristics that they could see they recommended checking it in 6mths to see if it changes at all..............but if it's still there should i ask for a biopsy? I dont' like the idea of a mass in there and not knowing what it was!!!
Unread 01-27-2003, 05:17 PM

If they feel that it is worth doing a biopsy I'm sure they would not have had you wait six months, but like you said, you want to know what it is for sure. I had fibrocystic breasts before the hyst, so I had benign lumps, but it's funny I don't feel the cysts like I used to since being on HRT. I was told by my doc that as the breast ages and with HRT you get more lesions, not necessarily malignant. My breast tissue is dense, so I almost always have to go for more than one mammo lately. It is nerve wracking, but we have no choice do we? I know the terminology "growth", "mass" could scare the pants off you!! But, most lumps turn out to be benign. Sometimes on HRT these changes develop, and in most cases it's not cancer. Let me know how it goes, I'm sure it's going to turn out to be nothing.

s

Marta
Unread 01-27-2003, 06:45 PM
I know how you feel. I had a 2 lumps

in my breast which scared the heck of me also. The first lump was almost as big as my breast itself (really small chest) and the doctor exasperated the liquid and told me everything looked fine. 8 months later they found another hard one which was a mass and I insisted on having that one removed which was a benign lesion. So I certainly know how you feel. Saying all this, doctors usually can tell if the the lump is threatening at least thats what my doctor told me. He says according to my sonogram that it looked benign, but I was just not satisfied with that answer. So I requested that darn thing removed. Stay on top on things and take care.
Unread 01-27-2003, 06:56 PM

Gidge,
Good luck tomorrow sweetie I hope the mammogram will be fine and not too painful. You will be in my ers. In fact, I'm going to say some extra ones for you this evening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register