We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28 We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28

Unread 01-28-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks ya'll. You don't know how much it means!

I really don't know what I'd do without you! I've had it...

I'm soooooo tired. I've lost 20 lbs (I could've stood 5-10 but not 20 in just a week to 10 days). I'm in excruciating pain. I hurt so bad this morning I cried all the way to my accupunturist and then from her office all the way to the new surgeon's office.

My RSD is REALLY flared up. The skin is literally peeling off my abdomen. I couldn't tolerate very much accupuncture this morning. It was so bad my accupuncturist cried with me.

Then, in turn, my FMS is worse! Even a hand shake hurts me. How insane is that!

She TRIED to help me, she gave me some herbs to try and calm the pain in that area. It would happen on the day I saw the surgoen....

I got all the records they requested and had the offices fax the info. The surgeon nearly flipped when I asked him ?'s. I could tell I made him visibly nervous. I had to pin him down for answers.

1. Does the gall bladder need to come out?
A. Yes it does, but I can't do it.

2. What about pain control after surgery?
A. That's a tough one. I'm not going to lie to you. It's always difficult and sometimes impossible. I'm not going to sugar coat it. It's difficult for a normal person.

3. What about handling all problems at the same time? Ovarian Remnant and Adhesions along with Gall Bladder.
A. No. I don't do that and won't do that.

4. Will this surgery make the Fibro and RSD worse?
A. Absolutely not.

Final question: Ok, doc so what's the bottom line? Do I need to have this out and are you going to do it or what?

Lots of hem hawing then he told me to: "Go back to your family doctor"

But he sent me HERE.

"Well obviously he didn't think it was serious or he would have sent all your records".

But he sent what your office requested and that was this morning. The morning of my visit by the way!

"Well lots of people walk around with gall stones and don't die. Your risk of surgery is 3-4 times that of a normal person. I don't know if you need it done now or not".

Well, Ok. When does it need to come out or does it need to come out at all?
"Probably. If it needs to come out soon, then you'll have to get someone else because I have a six weeks waiting list"

So do you want to see me/do the surgery or not?
"Well, get your records and bring them back in 4-6 weeks and we'll talk about it then. I can't really tell if it's your gall bladder since I didn't see you at that time"

Me interrupting: Wait a second! You have the ultrasound right there and my doctors notes. It plainly says that's his opinion and the test interpreters opinion. What do you want me to do? Wait? Not do it? Come back? Find someone else?

Doc trying to say he doesn't want a high risk case after all and might have said to much to referring physician:

"Well you can collect the records" Me; EXACTLY WHAT RECORDS?!
"The surgical notes from all your surgeries" Me: My PCP wouldn't have those - they were done by SURGEONS! "Well, whatever, get them and come back in 4-6 weeks if you have a problem before then see your pcp."

"Ok, but my doctor said it should come out asap and to find a good surgoen."

Doc: Well that depends on if your operating schedule is full or not. If it's not full then it's an emergency. If not, then it's not an emergency. A regular PCP wouldn't know anything about that.

<I swear that he said all of this verbatim> I still can't believe it!

He doesn't WANT to handle this unless I come in feet first in the ER. However, he doesn't want to say so because I could get upset and God only knows what would happen then. Geez.

I'm so tired of this.

They're having doctor walk outs due to high awards to patients who sue. Why don't the doctors take care of the 2-4% of doctors who make all the mistakes and they wouldn't have to worry, eh? Too bad we can't have a patient boycott of doctors!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Angie, I am frustrated and about to knock some heads together

on your behalf. Maybe we should all convene at Vandie's ER with megaphones. :burning: I am thinking more in terms of REVOLT than a boycott. Something that would get the news crews there and jolt someone into action.

Who the blankety-blank is liable if you don't get this surgery NOW and something life-threatening happens to you while you wait for someone to pull their surgeon's thumb out of their tuckus and do something! You were refused medical care point-blank by a coward. Buck is passed around while you are in pain.

I really hope you call your PCP and raise hell about not getting a referral that resulted in some constructive help. I simply can't believe there is not a surgeon who can get access to an operating room today in a town with some many medical schools. Someone isn't trying hard enough to help a patient and that person who isn't trying hard enough is not named Angie and posting on this board.

I really dunno what to advise here. There has got to be some statute or governing board saying patient dumping/abuse/refusal to treat in an acute situation or whatever this is is unethical.

Yes, I have read about docs that are refusing to do high-risks procedures because they are fearful of malpractice rates. However, only a handful of docs and patients and trial lawyers created that situation and the result is a majority of patients being placed in danger.

I think and I hope I am wrong, but I don't think anyone is going to show courage to do the right thing here unless you show at the ER. It is a more dramatic situation when you are in the ER and you will have someone there to look, observe and see that waiting is the wrong course of action.

Have you checked at University of Alabama yet. Not that far and they do have a wonderful med school. Or checked out Chattanoga?
Unread 01-28-2003, 12:30 PM
We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28

Ok this surgeon surely must be related to my wicked gyn's.....sounds like such a familiar run around......poor you Anj.......it's bad enough you have to go through this but to have a dr treat you like that on top of it is just crap

hang in there sweetie, you know we're all behind you, the entire way!!! 's!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 02:04 PM
We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28

Angie, I have been lurking here since my only continued problem is with my chronic high bp. I hope you don't mind me joining in
this thread.
You said you have prayed, and so have I. To me, it seems
like this doctor is confirming that you may not have the right doctor nor possibly hospital. If it does not feel right, then
maybe it's not! Do you think it's time to go to the big guns
like Mayo? There is a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. Although,
you may want to go to MN. It just seems like you have gone
through too much, and you might be able to benefit from the
best doctors in the country! Maybe other sisters here can
recommend some other top, state of the art medical facilites
around the country. I just wonder if your appointment with the
doctor was a sign that this was not meant to be????????
Unread 01-28-2003, 02:11 PM

(((((Anj)))))))That doctor is related to the GP in my office building, you know?, the one who doesn't want any patients?

(((((Angie))))) I think we should all go down there and knock some sense in those doctor's heads And all of this happening when you're in sooooo much pain and just about everything is flaring. (((((Sweetie)))))) no wonder your RSD and Fibro are flaring: what with all this stress.....

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of advocacy we now have to do in order to get the proper services, should they be medical, educational or whatever else

Hang in there sweetie.... I guess your quest for a surgeon continues
Unread 01-28-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm terrified and not sure I have good judgement at the moment...

My PCP sent me to a really young doctor who's waiting room was empty pretty much - but he was very alarmed and wanted to do surgery the following week - immediately was his words. However, I got scared because he said that he'd have to block off an entire day just to see if he could get in there (and he didn't ask for previous records).

My regular pain mgt doc sent me to this guy @ Vandy and I saw one on my own @ another hospital (both older and both really not wanted to do this for whatever reason - they couldn't really explain why). Each one agreed I'd have to go back to work in a day to two days no matter the incision size.

So now, I'm thinking I might take my chances at this small hospital with this young doc and see what he can do. I mean, the gall bladder itself is causing me pain and now caused an RSD and a Fibro flare! I know the surgery will. I just can expect it.

I dunno what to do!

PS: All opinions count to me - esp you Locki - I've followed you since you first posted. My gall bladder has little to do with a hyster anyway But, I've grown so fond of you all, and more importantly grown to trust your opinions. Each of you!
Unread 01-28-2003, 02:43 PM

What the heck Anj, I mean maybe younger is better and he's booking alot of time so he won't be rushed in the O.R. by waiting cases.....and he will have someone likely assisting right? I think it might be worth a shot if there is one thing I've learned on this road is sometimes the least likely route turns out to be the right track!! Best of luck with whatever you decide!! 's!!!
Unread 01-28-2003, 03:03 PM
still pondering here

this young guy does sound like the only gig you have at the moment. Trust me when I say I truly understand all the concerns you have about additional surgery and emergency rooms. We are almost twins in that aspect. Yes, there are going to be serious ramifications and complications and aggravation of existing conditions no matter what here. You are in between a rock and a hard place and up a creek without a paddle.

I have tried to do two-dimensional logic and ask "if this were me, what course of action?". The answer for me is deal with the most painful thing first and deal with the ramifications on other conditions later. However, what I would do has no bearing on what you think is best for you so this is a fruitless exercise.

I've been in the position of needing surgery in a hurry and not really getting to scope out all the possible surgeons. We needed to cut and cut within 24 hours. I needed to be in that hospital bed getting demoral IM and IV antibiotics and vitals checks. The only surgeon available, he was adequate but wouldn't have been my first choice. If the pain had been less and I had been able to sit on my poor abscessed perinanal area, DH would have gotten me to St. Louis, 2.5 hours away, but given the circumstances, no way he could have.

The more I read your story, the more resentful I become that they are putting so much accountibility on you, the patient, who is not in a position to be gathering records, arguing with surgeons with arrogant attitudes, weighing medical issues for herself while in extreme pain. Where is the healer in all this? Why is your PCP not dialing every surgeon in a fifty mile radius and feeling out what they will do before sending you in for a consult and leaving you high and dry?

It did occur to me that if you do end up in the emergency room, there is one advantage. Legal mandate to provide treatment based on the acuity of symptoms. Docs can not hem and haw over possible malpractice liability at the ER. They can't refuse to treat. If they don't have the skills to treat, they have to transfer you to a facility that will provide treatment. I know ER's seem like the worst place to find answers, and maybe you won't find a complete, lasting answer immediately, but you will be given some relief until you can find your ideal doctor. And you might get someone to start making some calls on your behalf to find that ideal doctor, especially if you work with the patient relations department or social worker while you are in the ER.

I know how you feel about ER's. DH practically has to hog-tie me and drag me by the head of the hair to the truck and I will only go as a last resort, but the ER doc does do something for the pain and advocates for me. You might get some preliminary labs or tests done by the ER that will solidify your case for prompt surgical treatment.

You have researched the pain issue well. You present yourself to docs well. I have faith that if you get to a doc you will get the attention you deserve.
Unread 01-28-2003, 03:17 PM
You've just confirmed what I suspected out loud to my referring doc just a moment ago

This doctor IS waiting for ER mandate. I just knew it! That way he's in the clear if further damage does happen to me with RSD/FMS! If it's a TRUE in the ER - EMERGENCY - he has no choice but to deal with me. And then again, it probably won't be him! I just knew that's what he was doing.

Well the last two are OUT! Unless something short of miraculous happens.

Guess I'll focus on doc #1 for now? I dunno :eyes:

My PCP has been great. They've fully cooperated and when I wasn't comfortable with doc #1 called around and got me a 2nd. Then my pain doc called ahead and talked to this one who said on the phone he'd do more tests (so I went down there with nothing on my tummy) 2.5 hours away! and then I get there and he does an about face!

I've just had it....
Unread 01-28-2003, 03:43 PM
Hospital nurses?

Angie,

Is there anyone who knows any hospital nurses in the hospital where the young doc practices? They often know who's good and who's bad--both the OR nurses, and the ward nurses who take care of the patients post op. That kind of information, if you can get it, may give you the assurance that you need to decide to gamble on this guy.

If your PCP's staff is REALLY cooperative, maybe his nurse knows a nurse who knows...

I've picked an orthopedic surgeon that way for my husband's neck and the nurses' opinions (they polled their buddies) were pretty much unanimous.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register