We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28 We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28

Unread 01-28-2003, 03:43 PM
it's a totally non-sensical game sometimes

and I have zero nonsense tolerance levels. Why do you think I don't mess with the local medical establishment anymore with the exception of my lover-boy Vandy gyn, who has treated me with the utmost respect. I didn't let the Vandy gyn do my surgery in rural IL tho because the urologist we have is an utter idiot. Couldn't figure out a semen analysis (he agreed to not bill us for that) and no way was I letting him to a TVT on me. Rural hospital is horrible too. At least Jeff admits I know more about some gyn issues than he ever will and cuts the scripts.

Anyway, at least you know the game they are playing even if the game is inherently unfair. Lets you figure out where your best move is. Young guy has some promise and you are a force to be reckoned with, whether you see that right now or not. You are so informed about medical issues you probably intimidated this chicken today.

What ticks me off is this guy you saw today is going to collect a hefty fee for essentially doing nothing. Tapping my chin thinking of all sorts of things that if I post them, someone will edit them out. This guy ripped off you and your insurance company for little help given, IMO. If it were me, this guy would be waiting for my estate to pay his fee. Neither one of us are going to croak soon.

What also ticks me off is you are in pain and playing games is not what you need to be doing. Nor do you need to be worrying about going back to work two days after a gall bladder is removed.

:burning:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks Denise! I do know a nurse who used to work there...

I bet she'd call to find out for me. At this point, I don't have much of a choice...

And out of the lot, he WAS willing to TRY to do something for me.

I understand that the docs are protecting the fortunes they've built. And, if I were in their shoes as a business person, I have to admit I'd probably do the same thing - NOT take a case like me while not knowing if I'd sued someone or not.

And that aside, I don't know if I'd take a case like mine for fear of making things worse until there WAS a real life or death emergency. So, I DO understand the attitudes/decisions. I really do.

However, we all feel medicine is supposed to be different. Especially when it's not going our way. The Oath and all.But when ideals meet reality - I understand WHY they err on the side of caution. I just don't like it for myself very much. (Nor do I like it for those that stand in similiar shoes!)

I never sued anyone. What happened to me wasn't really anyone's fault. I could have sued. I had grounds. But...at the time I just wanted to get well. And without a real diagnosis - that's hard to do - prove your case. Besides, lititgation isn't something I've ever been interested in. Just getting better.

But they don't know me from Adam. Just as I don't know them. They have a reason to mistrust just as I do.

I'm trying to take the high road here...but it sure doesn't make me FEEL any better!

Long way of saying.... I KNOW the thing needs to come out. I just need to find SOMEONE I feel I can somewhat trust. I guess Mr. Young Doc will have to be the one.

I'm terrified.
Unread 01-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Sheri:

Not gone the oncology route yet. But have to see my regular doc this week (fri). So I will discuss it then.

That was the other thing...neither of the two metropolitan doctors said they would "control" my pain.

The younger doc said he didn't know much about that and would take his queues from the anesthesiologist - and the pain clinic said they would not oversee it.Can you say: Pass the buck?

And yes. That's why I passed on younger doc the first time. He scared the you know what out of me! He was very alarmist and told me I could die if I didn't do this soon. Like that week. But admitted flat out that I'd be his most difficult patient yet. I admired that and was afraid of it at the same time.

Where's the links?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 05:09 PM
We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28

(((((Angie))))),
My heart goes out to you This is crazy!! I'm also thinking that maybe they are admitting or trying to admit they are not capable of doing this surgery w/o causing further damage
(nerve/RSD), or unable to provide adequate post-op relief?? Are the Pain Mgmt Drs willing to oversee your pain management post surgery?? I'm just worried that if you go to this younger Dr he wont be capable of this surgery b/c of your medical history?!? Where you able to see an Oncologist yet Angie? They hold so much skill in their surgery techniques....
Here is some info I found on surgery in patients who have FMS:

Source: Oregon Fibromyalgia Foundation (myalgia dot com)
  Quote:
If you are having a major surgical procedure there are some issues that you may wish to discuss with your surgeon and anesthesiologist that could reduce the "fibro-flare" that often occurs after Surgery in fibromyalgia patients.

1. Request that you wear a soft neck collar and minimize neck hyperextension (if an endotracheal tube is anticipated).

2. Request that your arm with the intravenous line be kept near your body, not away from your body or over your head.

3. Request that you be given a pre-operative opioid pain medication – about 90 mins. prior to Surgery. Opioids are morphine or morphine related drugs. The rationale for the pre-operative use of opioids is to minimize “central sensitization” - as this inevitably worsens the widespread body pain that you are already experiencing.

4. Ask to have a long-acting local anesthetic infiltrated into your incision - even though you will be asleep during the procedure. The rationale for this is to minimize pain impulses reaching the spinal cord and brain, which in turn drive central sensitization.

5. As a fibromyalgia patient you will need more, and usually longer duration, of post-operative pain medication. In most cases opioids should be regularly administered or self administered with a PCA pump (patient controlled analgesia).

6. Most fibromyalgia patients require a longer duration of post-operative convalescence, including physical therapy in many cases.
Good Luck Angie, I wish I could be of more help...I'm praying. Please keep us posted and know you have many Sisters here who are behind you.....(((hugs)))
Unread 01-28-2003, 05:25 PM
wish I had seen the FMS precaution article pre-op

I might be in better shape today. Oh well! But thank you for posting it. Bookmarked it in case god-forbid I end up in the OR again.
Unread 01-28-2003, 06:53 PM
We're right here for you, Adrite (Angie) - Appointment with new surgeon - Jan 28

Oh (((((((Angie)))))) honey...

My heart is breaking for you sweetie.....I cannot believe the doc treated your questions like that....then again I can. Been there Done that.

Do you remember when I told you about my oncologist appt and the way I felt about her the first time I met her? I came out in tears and just swore I wouldn't go back. She was to young...had no clue how I felt and would never be able to help me is what I thought. Heck even Peachybabe thought the same thing to!!!

You know...giving this younger doc the time might be the best thing around. Here lately I have noticed it's the younger docs who are listening to the cries of pain. They are the ones up on the latest techy stuff and just might know a little more about modern advances. Would he have an assistant? could one be found? Would he be willing so YOU would be more comfy? It might be worth thinking about ya know. Did you happen to ask your PCP about seeing an oncologist? Can you get in to see one without a referral? or at least set an appt with one to get an opinion?

I hate to see you in so much pain and noone doing anything Angie.....If going to the ER is what it takes then so be it. I had to to get them to listen about my remnant and my burst cyst. Once I went into ER everyone was hopping to get me on the table.

We'er here for you sweetie...I hope you know that.

tons and tons of

Dawn
Unread 01-29-2003, 07:27 AM
BAD NIGHT!

Something has to be done soon! I only slept 2 hours all night. I'm in SOOOOOO much pain.

Frankly, I'd like to find someone to do further tests as my PCP recommended to find out exactly what they're dealing with....geez, somehow I always get the "not so desireable docs".
Unread 01-29-2003, 08:50 AM

(((Angie))),
(((hugs))) to you My 1st thot (again) when reading this was you should go to Vandy's ER...please They can get all your records, hopefully consult w/ their Rheumy who is renowned in FMS, some of their Neurologists who have been studying RSD & then go from there. They have a post-op Pain Mgmt team who can look at your history, current use of Pain meds & decide on what is best to use in controlling your pain..please go..if your not comfortable w/ what they propose you can always leave...
I'm scared for you & worried as well, you cant go on like this Angie I'll be more than happy to go with you & help advocate...

I'm continuing to pray Angie.......((hugs))
Unread 01-29-2003, 09:05 AM
Frankly, I'm worried too!

I have an appt on Friday evening with my Doc @ Vandy. perhaps he can help me cut through this red tape....

If not...I guess it's ER here I come. I wish I had a nickle for everytime I've swayed my opinion! And cried....
Unread 01-29-2003, 09:05 AM

Yes ((((Anj)))) Please go. You have the amazing ((((Sheri)))) that has offered to go with you...please do.

We are all so worried about you....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register