prolapsed bladder after TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

prolapsed bladder after TVH prolapsed bladder after TVH

Unread 01-28-2003, 01:32 PM
prolapsed bladder after TVH

Please help me.......
Its 14 months since my TVH and life has just got back to normal ( better than normal in fact).
Yesterday I was out walking when I started to get that awful heavy feeling in the "undercarriage" that I suffered from before my hysterectomy for a prolapsed uterus.
When I got home I checked it out and, sure enough, there is a bulge in my vagina. I am so upset and disappointed. My GYN said that there is a chance that the bladder will prolapse some years after a hyst.......but so soon!!!!!!!
Don't think I can cope with surgery again right now, or the disruption to life and family. Has anyone else had a similar experience or know of any alternatives to surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 08:54 PM

((((((Jano))))))

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this
I havent had any experience with this but there are others here that have.
So I'll give you a little back up to the top. I hope everything works out for you & you are feeling better soon.

Susan
Unread 01-28-2003, 09:01 PM

Ug! Jano!! I had uterine prolapse, too! I'm hoping to see some replies to this post. My big fear has been vaginal prolapse, now I'm worried about my bladder!!!

Good Luck, keep us informed!

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2003, 10:19 PM

Hi Jano did you have any type of bladder suspension when you had your hyst? What did your DR tell you were the chances your bladder might prolapse down the road?

What type of HRT are you on? How's the state of your pelvic floor muscles? Do you do your kegels regularly?

There are so many considerations here... I'd make an appointment with your DR and get it looked at first to see what you're dealing with... and then, if surgery is recommended, get at least two other opinions, particularly since you've already had the hyst.

Try not to panic yet... there may be alternatives to surgery. Let's find out what is the extent of the problem first, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-29-2003, 09:15 AM

I thought it was my post for a minute but then I remembered I posted under post hysterectomy. I had my TVH in Nov. and was fine at my 6 week post checkup. On the eighth week I began to feel the prolapse already. I saw my gyn last week and sure enough I have a cystocele. I wanted it fixed right away but he said it was too soon for a repair. I have another appointment in April to assess the situation. I guess he's waiting to see if anything else falls. I was supposed to have my bladder fixed at the time of the TVH but he thought I didn't need it after the uterus was removed. Now I have another surgery to look forward to and a fallen bladder to contend with. I've been working on my kegel exercises even though he said I was very loose down there from four large babies. I think the kegels are helping me a little. I was very upset like you when it first happened, especially since the reason why I had a TVH in the first place was a uterine prolapse.
I haven't gone back to the gym since this happened because I'm afraid of making it worse. My gyn said to continue with all my activities but it's hard to do with the prolapse. Please contact me to tell me what you're planning on doing. I just know I want to get mine fixed as soon as I can.
Unread 01-29-2003, 12:05 PM

I had my six week appt today and the doctor told me that it would be extremely unusual for me to have a problem with bladder prolapse and vaginal prolapse. It calmed some of my fears.

Have you talked to the doctor?

Kathy
Unread 01-29-2003, 10:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel so at home on this site that it is the first place I come to with my fears, questions and need for support.
I've just been to see my GP and she confirmed my worst fears. It is a prolapse of the bladder. I am so ANGRY........before I had my TVH I asked my GYN about having a bladder sling put in at the same time. He said that he didn't think it was necessary as the chances of another prolapse were very slim. And he also did a reconstruction of the vaginal wall which should have made it stronger ( fabulous results from that by the way, I could see it becoming the next "must have" cosmetic surgery for women, like being a born again virgin! )
I have only just got back in shape, have been excersising and doing my kegals as well as yoga for strength and fitness. The thought of going back into surgery doesn't appeal to me at all. Last time, although the surgery itself was a breeze, two weeks after it I haemoraged badly and almost died. I'm no "drama queen" but the fear of that happening again is very real to me.
I can't see the GYN until 25th February. Perhaps I will have settled down by then and not feel so inclined to strangle him.
Unread 01-30-2003, 06:04 PM

Hi Jano,

Sorry, I didn't respond sooner...things have been hectic.

I was told I have cystocele, but already figured it out on my own by feeling the bulge there also. My gyn also said it looked "high" enough when he did the TVH and didn't feel it was necessary and was very unhappy that this had happended. I am seeing him
in March to futher check-up on this, as I was diagnosed with this
last Aug. 2 years post-op.

Some things that have helped me so far have been losing weight
and he gave me Vagifem to help make the muscles stronger. This seems to be helping me. I am not going to jump into surgery, as it seems from reading this board that women have a lot of post-op complications from the bladder surgery. It is something that I will think about strongly before-hand. Losing the weight has helped the most.

Good luck, hope things improve for you.

Nel
Unread 01-31-2003, 03:51 AM
hi nel

It's good to hear from a sister who is going through the same thing. So you have lived with cystocel for two years. Could you answer some questions for me, please?
Although I have the bulge you describe I don't have any other symptoms. Did you have others such as bladder leakage or discomfort?
I am doing kegals (pelvic floor exercises) and feel that strengthening the muscles is helping but I'm not sure if this is the answer in the long run. Do you have any difficulty or discomfort walking or exercising in any way? Since I first discovered the prolapse after a long walk I am a little afraid of any form of exercise in case it makes things worse but I don't want to become a couch potato either.
I know these questions are rather personal and I considered sending them in a private message, but then I thought there may be other women out there in our situation who have the same questions and concerns and may be browsing the message board looking for help as I did.
Thanks for your help.
Unread 02-02-2003, 07:19 AM

If "misery loves company", than I'm your new best friend! I had a TVH + rectocele, cystocele, Burch in May 2002 for prolapses ... and within 3 months I was worse than before the surgery!!! Something was "bulging" horribly, and my gyn confirmed another prolapse - probably an enterocele, vaginal vault, or both. The disappointment was overwhelming and I cried all the way home in the car. Took 8 weeks to "recover" from the first surgery ... and the thought of another surgery scares me!!! I have an appointment with a uro-gyn this week, and am terrified of his diagnosis (probably surgery), but I have always been an ACTIVE person and cannot live as a couch potato!!! My gyn gave me a pessary which helps a lot, but I find it a temporary solution to a long term problem. I also know of two other women who have had further prolapses after surgery to correct prolapses! We share in your disappointment and frustration!

Kajsa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register