Second surgery in 8 weeks - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second surgery in 8 weeks Second surgery in 8 weeks

Unread 01-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Second surgery in 8 weeks

{{Amy}},
I'd say you were lucky to get a second opinion, but you were better than lucky - you were smart, proactive, and taking charge. Everyone needs to be more assertive with their health care.

I'm sorry you're having a second surgery, but I'm sure you'll come through fine. Think of the peace of mind you'll have when it's done.

Be sure to post after surgery and again after you get your pathology report. Try to be patient waiting for the report (right!)
s,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2003, 08:36 PM

Amy:
Sounds alot like what I went through. I had my original LAVH/BSO for an ovarian cyst, then one month later had to have a staging lap as they discovered it was ovarian cancer. The thing is, then you REALLY know what the heck is going on. They biopsy all over the place. Then they know how to treat the cancer the best. I had 6 cycles of taxol/carbo and lost my hair. Found the cutest wig ever and still wear it sometimes ever though my hair has grown back. Anti nausea drugs really worked for me. No problems at all in that department.
It stinks having to have 2 surgeries, but you will do great. Best of luck to you.
Unread 02-01-2003, 10:49 PM

Thanks, deliz. It's nice to hear that some one who's gone through this came out ok. I just started another thread because I'm worried about swelling due to loss of the lymph nodes. (As I said in the other one, I think of something new to freak out about every day.) Did you have any trouble with swelling? Thanks.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2003, 06:46 AM

I am so sorry to hear that you will have to go thru a second surgery. My
experience w/ my TAH/BSO on 11/26/02 was good--surgery went well and the
actual incision gave me little pain. The morphine did the trick! The only real
pain I experience was from some back spasms initially (but they came/went
pretty quickly) and then the gas pains on the 3-4 day after surgery. My
intestines/colon woke up pretty quickly and I had good bowel sounds right
on schedule. Didn't have "to go" in hospital and it did take me 2 days after being
home to get things moving, but then between pre-op cleaning out and limited
diet, there wasn't much to move!!!!

I am currently on chemo w/ taxotere/carboplatin and take Zofran for nausea.
I have had none for any of my 3 treatments. My doc believes in taking it "no
matter what" and not just "when needed". Side effects haven't been too bad
at all. I take steriods for 3 days at treatment time and that's helping too. I
am not too fatigued and really only feel "under the weather" for days 3-4.

This is do-able!!! They have come such a long way w/ chemo and prevention
of side effects. Good luck w/ your results and chemo!!!

Cindi M
OvCa stage lllc
Unread 02-02-2003, 11:00 AM
Chemo

Thanks, Cindi. I'm glad chemo hasn't been too bad for you. My first surgery wasn't too bad except for the awful pain when I first woke up in recovery. The incision pain wasn't too bad. I did have some bad gas pains after I got home like you did. I just don't know how my body will respond to a second surgery just 2 months after the first. I'm worried about potential complications like swelling due to the loss of lymph nodes not to mention possible adhesions. I'm still hoping I may not need chemo. Just depends on what they find. Thanks for your supportive words!

Amy
Unread 02-02-2003, 03:17 PM

Amy,
Thank goodness you got a 2nd opinion! I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion on all significant tests. Good Luck!!! JillSue
Unread 02-03-2003, 09:23 PM

To answer your question, Amy, I had no problems whatsoever with lymph nodes swelling or adhesions. It just takes some time to get past it, but you will!
Diane
Unread 02-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Surgery versus chemo

Thanks, everyone for all your encouraging posts. It really helps a lot. I have another question for you. My GYN, who did my first surgery, called today to check on me. I told her I'd almost rather have chemo than another surgery. She said, no I wouldn't because chemo is really bad. Now from what you all have been telling me, chemo doesn't sound all that bad unless you're unlucky enough to have a bad reaction to one of the drugs. But I know from personal experience that abdominal surgery is just the pits. What do you all think. Many of you have experienced both surgery and chemo. Which was worse?

Amy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register