Pre-cancerous cells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-cancerous cells Pre-cancerous cells

Unread 01-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Pre-cancerous cells

I have just come on the sight looking for a bit of experience when it comes to pre-cancerous cells. A close relative has been for a biopsy yesterday and was told that the cells they had found in the PAP were pre-cancerous. However she had a hysterectomy (because of fibroids) in March 2000 and so is a bit confused as she thought she would not have problems like this. She has been told that she may need laser surgery and she would find out the results in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any experience of this? Please could you let me know as she was quite shaken up by all this and I would like to put her mind at ease. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Pre-cancerous cells

Hi Vix,

If her cervix was removed at the time of her hyst I will guess that the abnormal cells were found on the vaginal walls or at the vaginal cuff. Those of us who had their hysts because of cervical cancers or dysplasia must have frequent paps done for 5 yrs after the hyst. I believe woman who have hysts for other reasons are usually advised to continue with yearly paps.

I think there are ladies on this board who are knowledgeable about the laser treatments and should be along to give you some information.
Unread 01-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Pre-cancerous cells

Hi Vix,

I had an abnormal PAP just over 10 years ago. The biopsy revealed pre-cancerous cells (CIN I, I think) and 2 definite masses were found on my cervix. I later had a surgery called a "loop excision" - I don't know if this was laser or not. They took off the 2 masses in any event. It was done with a local anaesthetic. I was able to drive myself home afterward. It didn't hurt terrible but I was sore for a few days and did bleed a bit. For the first year I had a PAP every 3 months - there were still some wayward cells lurking around, but they never massed. I later went on to a PAP every 6 months, then every 9 months. Until my recent hyster (wherein cervix was removed) I was having annual PAPs and everything was normal (Thank God!).

I have to tell you I was scared to death when my doc called to tell me about the abnormal results and the required biopsy. Everything worked out well for me and I hope it does for your relative!

Best of luck!
Sandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Pre-cancerous cells

After my hyst I asked if the dr. would ever want to see me again since I had nothing left, and his nurse said Oh you have to continue having Pap smears as they can still detect abnormalities.

My DD was told today that she has some abnormal results and they are going to do a "HD test" on the existing smear, and the results will probably take 2 weeks to come through. Does anyone have experience with this test, or know anything about it? She was quite alarmed to hear the results and is pretty nervous about the next two weeks. Thanks for any references, suggestions or help if you have any!!

Desk
Unread 01-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Pre-cancerous cells

(((Vix)))

Unfortunately, it is still possible to get abnormal cells on the vaginal wall. I am assuming that your relative had her cervix removed with her hysterectomy? Abnormal cells can form anywhere on the vaginal wall, though it would most typically occur at the vaginal cuff (the top of the vagina where the cervix used to be). Remember that lots of things can cause an abnormal PAP, so it's possible that the biopsy could come back negative. But if it does come back positive, it is pretty typically treated with laser if it is in a confined area. Other options include removing the involved areas (that's what I had done) or using a chemo drug to help the body slough the bad cells. Good luck! Here is a for your relative!

(((Desk)))

I'm sorry to hear that your DD has had an abnormal PAP. I was not able to find any information on an HD test, so I would wonder if they are really doing an HPV test? That seems to be standard procedure for some docs, and when a PAP comes back abnormal, they take the sample and submit it for additional testing to see if the virus is present. It is particularly easy to do this additional test now when the docs use the ThinPrep rather than the old slide method PAP. We have some very recent excellent threads on HPV if you want to read to get more information. If your daughter is found positive for HPV, she may not want to talk about it, so you may not get much information about her test results from her. It can be embarrassing and humiliating to hear that you have this, and until you do your research and find out that 80% of people carry this virus, well, you can feel very alone. Hopefully, it will all be nothing and no big deal, but you certainly do lose a lot of sleep while waiting for those results! Please send her this for me ------> and tell her she is welcome here if she wants to talk!
Unread 01-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Pre-cancerous cells

Oh thanks so much, now it does sound like they were going to run the HPV test, but she did say HD, and we both looked up HD test for Pap and got references to cancer that spooked her a little bit.

I will invite her in and see if she'd be willing to jump in for support. I can't think of a more supportive place than here.

Thanks again, Jeanine!!

Desk
Unread 01-31-2003, 05:23 AM
Pre-cancerous cells

You have me curious, Diane! I'll have to look around a little more and see what I can learn!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register