Can ovarian cysts cause pelvic pain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can ovarian cysts cause pelvic pain? Can ovarian cysts cause pelvic pain?

Unread 01-29-2003, 07:22 PM
Can ovarian cysts cause pelvic pain?

I've visited this site for several mo. even before my partial hyst. but b/c I had a free e-mail I was unable to subscribe. Things obviously changed and I was now able to subscribe. I think it's great the support you all give e/o. It has been wonderful just to be able to read the posts during the mo. prior to my surgery as well as after.
I had my partial hyst. b/c of a prolapsed uterus. When the Dr. went to remove uterus he also found polycystic ovaries.
Now, 8 mo. post surgery, I am experiencing a pretty good amt. of pain in my lower pelvic region. At first it wasn't localized, I went to the ER thinking it was my appendics. After a barrium drink and CAT scan as well as blood test, nothing showed up. 3 wk. later (my dad passed away in the middle of all of this so some time lapsed) I go to my GP for a physical and he orders an US. The US showed a cyst on my ovaries @ size of a small marble. He says he's not convinced this could cause the pain and wants me to see my Ob-Gyn. Could this cyst cause the pain? what else could it be? My GP also mentioned maybe a cyst ruptured. I'm going to call my Ob-Gyn tomorrow. Tonight, I'm a little nervous. Anybody had the same problem?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2003, 08:44 PM
I understand what you are going through...

I have had a lot of problems with cysts, as a matter of fact due to recurrent cysts after my hyterectomy I am having my right ovary removed on Tuesday.

In my opinion it does not matter how big the cyst is, they hurt. I have found that when I have a cyst and inflamation in my pelvic the cysts seem to bother me worse no matter how big or small.

I think it is a good idea that you call your gyn for him to take a look at things. What they did with me in the beginning is the wait and see game and put me on progesterone hormones to shrink the cysts. Unfortunately for me this does not work anymore.

Keep your chin up and stay on the doctors.

s
Kristi
Unread 01-30-2003, 06:23 AM

I had a LAVH on 12/3/02. Kept one of my ovaries.
I had been having some increased pain (sometimes burning senstaion, sometimes sharp pain) on my left side. At 7 week post-op dr. suspected I had another cyst on my remaining ovary. Sure enough there was a 2.5 cm cyst on my ovary.

I am wondering (Forever Hopeful), how big were your cysts? What kind of pain did you experience with them. I'm not sure if the pain I am experiencing on my left side is due to normal aches and pains from the surgery if it is due to the cysts. How long did your dr. wait before deciding that it wasn't going to go away?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2003, 06:58 AM

Yes, any size cyst can cause pain, whether the specific pain you are experiencing is caused by the one you have is probably going to be a hard call. Your GYN visit is definitely in order though. I have dealt with ovarian cyst my whole adulthood. You can actually have several at the same time and they can burst on their own causing acute pain. I elected to keep my left ovary when I had my LAVH in 9-2001 because I usually only had severe problems with the right ovary. Now, the left ovary has also become cystic and due to the amount of pain they are going in for a look and see and I have elected to have it removed. DR is not convinced that the ovary is the only culprit in my pain and is looking for adhesions/scar tissue also(I have also had a history of these after my c-sections and other ab surgeries). He told me that "usually" painful cyst are not a cancer concern but I believe they still do a test on them. In my younger years they would put me on bc pills to reduce them, sometimes that was successful.

Hope things go well for you, IMHO: your GP was correct you need to see your GYN for sure. Lots of options to weigh out so you might want to do some searchs on this site and on google.com so you know what exactly you want to ask of your GYN.

s to you,
DLK
Unread 01-30-2003, 07:21 AM

((((lcconley)))))

One weekend I had to go to the ER becasue I was hurting so bad. The pain was like a knife being stuck into my side and up my butt. I had a CT scan which showed I have three cysts 3 cm each. Went to my doctor the Monday after and my doctor put me on Prometrium. After two weeks he sent me for an ultrasound to see how much the cysts shrunk. Well they did not at all. Waited one more week and then had to have surgery to drain the cysts (dr wanted to remove the ovary I did not). He found 2-3 dozen small cysts on my ovary and pricked them with a needle to drain them. They were so small he could not extract the fluid so now I have an infection in my ovary that will not go away. I am scheduled for another surgery Tuesday to have the right ovary removed and an appendectomy.

My cysts started two months after my hysterectomy. We waited three weeks while taking hormones before I had to have surgery to drain them. Now two weeks from that because of sever infection I'm having the ovary removed. I hope this answers your question and help you out.

Stay on your dorctor to get results.

s Kristi
Unread 01-30-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks to all of your responses

All the responses really helped. I did call my OB-Gyn today and they told me to take 800 mg of ibuprofen every 6 hrs. through out the wk end. Monday if the pain was still there or not any better to call and they would want me to come in for apt. The nurse said maybe another US to see if it had gotten any smaller. When I asked what's next she mentioned BC pills as an option. She seems to have the exact same problems as I do (from her reason for her hyst. down to having the cysts) so I feel like she knows what I'm going through. Good luck to all of you who deal with these cysts. Is there any real cure other than removing both ovaries?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register