hysterectomy/healing/chemo | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy/healing/chemo hysterectomy/healing/chemo

Unread 01-31-2003, 06:17 PM
hysterectomy/healing/chemo

I felt I was healing very well from my surgery and the doctor confirmed that I
was also. Four weeks after surgery I started my chemo (taxotere/carbo) and
it seemed like my healing process slowed down after that.

I am 9 wks post op and I am still having pain and discomfort. Not working right
now and I am really taking it easy, so feel like I should be better than this.

I would imagine these toxic drugs just don't let the body heal as well!

Did any of you experience the same?

Thanks!
CindiM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2003, 06:48 PM

Hi Cindi..

Glad your surgery went well.
What kind of aches and pains are you talking about?? If it is the aches and pains that come on day 2 and 3 after the chemo, that is normal.
I also had taxol and carboplatin... I used to get my treatments on a Thursday, I was ok on Friday, then I got all achy on Sat and Sun but by monday I did go back to work. I used to complain that my bones actually felt like they hurt.
I know that everyones healing process is different but I did go back to work 5 weeks after my hysterectomy ( I wanted to go back sooner but doc would not allow it) and I worked during the chemo also. I was told that after 3 days the chemo is out of your body,,, so,,, if you are really having pains all the time,,, I would consult the doctor.
Hope all works out well.
Rosalie
Unread 01-31-2003, 09:44 PM

{{{Cindi}}}

I'm so sorry you're still so uncomfortable. Its really hard to tell how long the healing progess will take, at times you feel like you're healing well, then can overdo it without even knowing it and feel worse again. It really took a good six months before I consistantly felt better without the up and down roller coaster.

I don't know if the chemo had anything to do with it or not. I also had the Taxol/Carbo combo for my first round. I had mine done on Fridays so by Monday I felt well enough to work. I was pretty lucky as my bosses let me split my work day between home and the office. I had a pretty rough time with the joint pain during that round and working from home during the morning when the pain was the worst helped a whole lot so I didn't have to miss too much work or get too far behind.

I know one part that hurt the worst besides my feet was my back during that initial healing stage. I think I was way overcompensating for my tummy and ended up putting quite a bit of strain on my back. Once I got home each day, laying flat on my back felt soooooo much better.

I hope that you aren't experiencing too many side effects and as Rosalie mentioned, if the pain continues, do talk to your Dr. Keep us posted on how your doing with your treatments. We'll be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

{{{hugs}}

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Remember We're All Different

I too started chemo four weeks and one day after surgery. I actually wanted chemo put off a week so I could keep going--I was driving around, visiting malls, etc. The doctor had me stay home for the whole first cycle to see how I'd be and react. Within a week I was out and about again feeling OK. After chemo #2 I returned to work at 8 weeks off, part time the first week and then full time. I was very tired at times. I got chemo on Thursday and would work until I had to leave, then be off Friday and back Monday. But we are ALL different! This may be hitting you harder than some of us. Some can work; some can't. I did continue to have pain in one area for some time and ironically it's where a hernia developed over a year later. AT your next appointment with your Dr. discuss your concerns. Ellen
Unread 02-01-2003, 03:50 PM

Talked to the Phys. Assistant yesterday at my chemo session. She says since
the discomfort I am having is "normal", especially w/ starting chemo at 4 wks.
She did say chemo does slow down the healing process somewhat. She esp.
wasn't concerned since I don't take anything for this discomfort, it usually occurs
after doing a "more physical" activity, at night, and I don't have "swelly belly" at
this time (I've always been about this size and can wear all my size 10 pants!)

Was good to just get comfirmation from here that I am still doing great! It was
especially nice going to my support meeting last week and having women tell me
they think I look wonderful for still healing from surgery AND getting chemo! They've
been there so that made me feel great!

I don't work because my 9 autistic students would just be too hard to deal w/!
Besides them I would have my 5 staff members to manage. They are heavy duty
behavior kids and quite a germy bunch! If I had another type of job, going back to
work would be Ok for me at this time, since chemo isn't giving me too bad of side
effects.

Thanks!
cindi M
TAH/BSO 11/26/02
OvCa stage lllc
taxotere/carboplatin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register