NOW what???? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-03-2003, 05:37 PM
NOW what????

You guys have been WONDERFUL with all of the information you have given me. I guess that I'll go through with the cat-scan just to make sure. I'm just SOOOOOOOO sick of doctors!!!! I'm still seeing a neurologist for migraines that I've been suffering from since my hyst, and he had to switch my meds AGAIN because the most recent made my stomach bleed. I've been doing a lot of reading, and the pain that I have is very comparible to the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome or bowel obstruction. Will a cat-scan show these things? I'm such a novice when it comes to these things. At least I'm not alone in this world of pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2003, 06:09 PM
NOW what????

Tami,
Even though most tests won't show adhesions I think it's worthwhile to have the tests to rule other things out. During the last 3 years I think I've had most of them and some of them twice. I am not sorry that I had them done.

I do know how you feel about the endless doc visits and tests. Sometimes I just have to give myself a little breather and than come up fighting for another round.

Unread 02-03-2003, 06:13 PM
NOW what????

Quote:
Originally posted by winged phantom

If I find any new ones, are you interested in getting them? Can you believe that there are people who do nothing but study adhesions? wr
wr, we are certainly most interested in any sites you may know of that can help your fellow Road sisters. You can email the links to Sheri and she'll check them out. Have you checked out our resources forum? https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...s=&forumid=159

Welcome to HysterSisters! We're glad you're here, sorry that it's under these circumstances though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2003, 06:17 PM
NOW what????

Quote:
Originally posted by TamiMarie
I'm still seeing a neurologist for migraines that I've been suffering from since my hyst
Tami,
If the headaches started after the hyst it's quite possible they could be hormone related. Have you looked into the hormonal aspect of the headaches? Did the neuro find anything?

There's some great info in the pull down menus at www.hormonejungle.com

Sorry for the 3 posts in a row. Guess I should read the whole thread before I post.

Unread 02-04-2003, 07:36 AM
NOW what????

Hi again,
Tami, unless you're allergic to iodine, the CAT scan will probably be a cinch, and it's much faster than an MRI. I didn't even mind the drink they gave me before the test! Even though it will not, in my experience, pick up adhesions (at least not the filmy ones, which can also be very painful), it can show lymph nodes and other stuff. If you have IBS issues or have a "delicate" GI system, though, I hope you live close to the testing center. If so, go home immediately, because the diarrhea may not be far behind! They told me that it could cause diarrhea. That's the way it affected me, but my brother had no GI troubles like that. So it may or may not happen to you.

It's just that it is so taxing to be trying to figure out several medical problems at the same time! No, you are not alone in pain. Unfortunately, too many people are in pain; and they say that life in the US is not stressful? I think there is a relation here.

toolgrl, now you have me confused! You mentioned Interceed, which is a liquid, then said your surgeon used the gel. So maybe it was Intergel, which I just remembered about. The Interceed liquid sticks around for about 28 days, which is about the same length of time as the Seprafilm, as far as I can figure. This is a paper I thought you might be interested in: http://www.drcook.com/adca17.html

I just hope my surgeon is skilled at using the Seprafilm, since it may be difficult to position properly. I'll be going there too! I THINK I have one of the co-partners of your surgeon. Aren't there three? Mine is short. Oh, boy! So much for trying to be evasive and not name names! lol Hey, maybe we can plan trips together to Germany for more surgery! ha ha

Kim, thanks for pointing out the resources on the board. It took me a while to find it, because the address you posted somehow did not come out complete (don't ask me how you can copy and paste and not have it work). Here it is again, in different forms, Hyster Sisters Resources (https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...s=&forumid=159), in case anyone else is wondering. I only hope it works! lol

Hope you all figure out how to feel better! When I feel better, I'll start using more smilies. I like them! Anyway s to you.
wr
Unread 02-04-2003, 05:14 PM
NOW what????

WR...

So sorry to confuse you sweetie It really wasn't my intention to that's for sure.

It has never been exactly clear which one my doc used on me spesifically (sp) There are things that tell me the Interceed is what she USED but the GEL is what she perferred. One of the reasons I believe she used the interceed is the length of time she told me it would take to dissolve at my two week post op appt. I had thought for a bit that she used the gel...but when I got my path report and my surgical report niether one was mentioned. I have not had an opportunity to really question which one she used till recently and am currently waiting on some records to tell me. I know how I felt at certain times along with a few others who had repeat surgery. we all seemed to expericence a crampy feeling about the same time post-op and chalked it up to the stuff dissolving. Their docs had used interceed and based on my symptoms at the time and the research I did I assumed mine has to.

Hopefully I'll know for sure soon...just to satisfy my own curiosity!!!

Hope this clears it up a little bit....

Dawn
Unread 02-05-2003, 05:31 AM
NOW what????

No problem, toolgrl. I only hope it works for you! That is the goal. So.... a crampy feeling, eh? I should expect that, huh? I would probably chalk that up to more adhesions forming.

Wish me luck.... bowel prep today for colonoscopy tomorrow! Oh, poop!

wr
Unread 02-05-2003, 05:58 AM
NOW what????

Any further info/links would be great Knowledge is power & the more we empower ourselves about these things the better we can be at advocating for our health
Dr Cook is great! He has done some extensive research on Adhesions...if he were only closer...
I need to add several more links I have to the Resources Forum..if anyone hasnt been there, it is a *must see*..lots of excellent info!
Good Luck in finding some answers Tami, please keep us posted

((winged phantom)),
I have considered going to Germany as well! Did Dr Wiseman give you some names of Drs in your area that treat Adhesions?? He is soo helpful to many! Here is an excerpt from an article on the 2nd look Lap such as he uses:

Quote:
"If the adhesions are extensive, and the patient has undergone previous adhesion surgery that failed, I have taken an unorthodox approach to such individuals. Because adhesions begin to form almost immediately, along with the healing process involving the raw anterior abdominal wall, I have in special situations recommended a repeat laparoscopy in one week. At this point, the "new" adhesions are flimsy, soft, do not contain a blood supply, and can be swept away with minimal tissue injury, compared to a conventional adhesiolysis (freeing the adhesions surgically) of old adhesions that are dense, very adherent, and bloody. This is performed in an outpatient setting, and usually takes but a few minutes, compared to the time involved dealing with extensive, dense old adhesions."
http://medseek.com/glennbradley/newsdetail.cfm?ref=264
A few others on surgical techniques:

http://www.pathwaystohope.org
http://www.cmchealthsys.com/
Hand Assisted Surgery - http://www.dexterity.com/

This is interesting:

The Chemical Process That Leads To Adhesions:
  Quote:
During the body's reaction that leads to an adhesion, chemicals called inflammatory mediators and histamines are released from the blood (more specifically the blood's mast cells and leukocytes).
Capillaries dilate. This allows leukocytes, red blood cells and platelets to concentrate at the injury site in a bundle called a fibrinous exudate. A variety of other factors are at play in the system such as asprostaglandins, bradykinin, chemotactic agents, lymphokines, seretonin and transforming growth factor.

At this point in time fibrinolysis may clear the fibrinousexudate. In order for this to occur, plasminogen must be converted to plasmin by tissue plasminogen activator (t-PA). There is constant play between the t-PA and plasminogen-activator inhibitors.

Unfortunately surgical trauma normally decreases t-PA activity while simultaneously increasing plasminogen activator inhibitors. If this occurs, the fibrinous exudate is tranformed into an organized adhesion where fibers of collagen are deposited. Blood vessels begin to form, which leads to an adhesion
From all I've read, if I were able to under go surgery to remove mine this is the way I would go...
Good Luck w/ your Colonoscopy please let is know how it goes...(((hugs)))
Unread 02-05-2003, 09:22 AM
NOW what????

Hi Sheri,
Thanks for the encouragement!

I sent an e-mail to Dr. Wiseman, but I haven't gottn an answer. Maybe sometime in the next few weeks. From the links on the adhesions board, I learned that to do the clinical trials, you must have your uterus and ovaries, etc. I do not want to wait that long to try to get some relief. I igure there at least alternatives... like Germany. I'd do it, too!

Well, almost time for the prep, so I'd better go (no pun intended).
wr
Unread 02-05-2003, 09:37 AM
NOW what????

Quote:
Originally posted by winged phantom
Well, almost time for the prep, so I'd better go (no pun intended).
wr
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh.

Good luck with the colonscopy. The prep was the hardest part for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register