Coming Home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Coming Home

To all my sisters,
I am home now. On day 3 recovery. For some reason I hurt a lot less in the hospital. The surgery wasn't as bad as I thought, all though it ended up being more involved than I had wanted. I ended up with a TAH and they had to do some handiwork on my right ovary cause it had adhered itself to my bowel and the side of my uterus. Luckily, I got to keep both of them. I have 19 frankenstien marks on my belly. My DH says they don't look bad, I cannot bear to look at them, but I can only think of Frankenstien. A word on men...they are wonderful. Well mine is. He did the best he could to help me through this so far, he is totally worn out and has been sleeping like a baby since I came home this morning. I am sure if he knew I was up he would usher me back to bed. He bought some homemade paper and bound it into a journal for me and wrote a nice note and a poem in the front for me. I cried. The best present I have ever recieved I think. I think we sometimes forget that this is hard on them too. He worried as much as I did and lost a lot of sleep over this. The first day after my surgery I was so angry with him for not coming to see me all day (he was at work, and came as soon as he could). He just let it roll of his back. I am lucky to have him, I wish all my hystersisters the great luck I have had in finding my Jack. I am exhausted from this 5 minute typing episode and my staples are burning, I will try to sneak back on tomorrow. Love to all,
Jillie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Coming Home

{{{{{Jillie}}}}} Ahhh, sweetie, welcome home! Yes, please rest, sitting is an activity! It is nice to hear that your hubby has been great so far. It is hard on them as well and I think some of us don't realize how much. Take it slow, drink pleanty of fluids and walk every so often. Don't worry about your incision for now, it will eventually fade. Concentrate on being a good ! Take care hun, and I wish you an uneventful recovery........

Emily s
Unread 02-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Coming Home

You have such a good attitude! I am so glad that things are going so well for you. And your DH sounds like mine after my surgery. He took such good care of me. His mother came up for my surgery, so after I had been back to my room a couple of hours I begged him to take her away..she wouldn't shut up and kept talking to me..lol..and then he was gone for about five hours, we live half hour from the hospital and he took her to eat ect. Anyways, when he got back there that night I was mad and yelling at him and not really meaning to and he shook it off and coddled me. He was so wonderful in my recovery and you are right, we sometimes forget to give them the credit they deserve when they take such good care of us. And it is hard on them. My Dh told me that the hardest thing he's ever done in his life is to watch me being wheeled into OR. He felt so helpless and he could not do anything for me at that time. I'd been through numerous surgeries before, but we've only been together six years so this is the first one he's gone through with me. I think every single day of my recuperation period I thanked him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2003, 10:35 PM
My hubby too

He is also so very tired. He has been so wonderful.

While at the hospital he gave me a get well card that he wrote a really sweet poem in. (he also did the flowers and teddy bear thing!)

Then, last week when I was feeling extemely blue, I asked him to please bring me home something pretty. My mom says I'm spoiled, because he brought me home a pretty teacup with 2 antique pink roses and 3 yankee candles in it. It's lovely! Truly, I thought he would bring me a pretty card or a couple of carnations (if he remembered )

He's been so sweet and kind. He told me part of the hardest for him was when they brought me back to the room and he heard me holler in pain when they transferred me to my bed. He said if they just would have allowed him in the room to hold my hand I wouldn't have hurt so much. I think he's right. He's been my rock.

So, for Valentine's Day, I'm going to give him a certificate for a massage. A lady at the Y I sometimes work out with gives massages. I think he definitely deserves one!

Michelle
Unread 02-03-2003, 08:12 AM
Pet advice and a question

Hi all,

Woke up feeling miserable. The cats can't seem to get the idea that they cannot jump on their momma's tummy right now. They are mad, one even went potty on the floor, which my dh cleaned up. I am better now, thank god (and my Doc) for Percocet. I have to do a little work on my master's class and then I will be back in bed. Sitting up really is hard work. We tried to watch a movie last night and by the end I was positively suffering. Yesterday I wanted a pen to write in my journal, my DH wasn't home, I got up and found one, but by the time I got back in bed I was too tired to write. Funny how easy it is to get tired now. A word of advice to pet owners, NEVER sit or lie down without a pillow or something to guard your belly, the little critters still want your love and attention. One of my kitties seems to understand, the other is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Also, a question. I am going to get my staples taken out tomorrow morning. My Mom thinks it is too soon to have them removed (it will be day 5) what do you think? Also, does it hurt? I am overdosed on pain for now. . Blessings to all.

Jillie
Unread 02-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Coming Home

Jillie, My staples were taken out on day 7. I've read many, many different number of days for them to be removed. Some ladies have had them taken out while still at the hospital. Ask the doctor about it if you are concerned. I didn't have any problems having mine out on the 7th day. It was really a relief to get them out. Mine didn't hurt, just sort of bothered my head knowing they were there.
Take care!
Unread 02-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Another Question

Did any of you totally lose your appetite after your surgery? I have barely eaten since mine, and have lost 11 pounds. My DH is worried about it, but I fihure I have plenty of fat to live off of for now. I guess I am wondering because I have a bad habit of not eating when I get stressed out and I am stressing out about him thinking I am ugly and fat. Plus, I noticed he sent one of his ex girlfriends an email while I was in the hospital. URGH, just when you think they are the best thing that ever happened to you. Anyway, hopefully it will pass soon.

Jillie
Unread 02-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Coming Home

I didn't want to eat much after the surgery either. And I think that is okay. Just your body fixing itself after all that you have gone through. I think I got the urge to eat again by week three. My DH would make soup and stuff for me so I wasn't totally without food. Just didn't want much. Even today, after 8 months, I will have weeks where I am not all that hungry. My doctor just says it is the hormones trying to figure out what is going on. If you are worried about it, talk with the nurse at your doctors office. They should be able to help you a little.

Take Care,

Steffi
Unread 02-03-2003, 03:01 PM
Staples

Mine came out on day 5. I went home on day 4 and went to doctor's office to get staples out the next day. No, doesn't hurt. They use staple remover -- not quite like the ones you use in the office.

I kept my hospital bracelet, staples, and staple remover as a "souvenier". I breezed through the whole experience. I wish you the same.
Unread 02-03-2003, 06:08 PM
four days after surgery

I never worried about something so much, and it was no big deal. I went into the hospital on the 30th, Surgery was scheduled for 7:30 am, my husband and wife doctor team was the best. They explained everything and made me feel comfortable. The surgery took 1 1/2 hours and I was ready to come out of recovery in 5 minutes. No pain, no nausea, my husband right by my side. They wheeled me up to a private floor of the hospital that you have to pay $278.00 per night above what insurance pays. It was worth every penny, the attention, the food, the suite that I stayed in made it fun. I stayed in the hospital two nights, I could have gone home in one. I have little pain and no discomfort. I am off worked paid for the next 4-5 weeks. I feel like a lady of leisure, is their something that will be happening that I have not experienced yet.?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register