Detrol LA question - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Detrol LA question Detrol LA question

Unread 02-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Update

My not so great update (but could be so much worse):

Back on the 2mg of Detrol. First couple of days without it went fine. Then it was just the discomfort when my bladder was full. Then the frequency started up again. Then the shooting pelvic floor pains started up and I'm thinking ....OK...OK.. I'll take the dadgum medicine!

So, I am back on it as of 3 days ago. It does seem to be helping with the frequency. I can last about an hour and a half during the day and am only up once at night. Pelvic floor pain has stopped.

So, I guess I'll be staying on the 2mg for a little while longer.

LaurLaur:

Girl.... I'd like to take few layers of hide outta that urologist of yours. If you have a history of Detrol not working why didn't he/she just offer you Ditropan if that had worked in the past? If neither of them worked there are still others to try....I just don't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Detrol LA question

Michelle, I don't get the uro either...I think he was annoyed that I didn't find HIS surgery the answer he promised.
THERE IS HOPE THOU...I had such horrible pelvic pain but that has decreased quite a bit (after 3 yrs) and only on occassion, do I feel PAIN when I have to pee and not just pressure.

I am seeking the help of an ER surgeon who does acupuncture and homeopathic meds and she suggestioned different supplements to take that should help with frequency and pain. So here's hoping that will get rid of the rest of THAT problem.

She was extremely sympathetic to the plight of menopausal problems and feels that there is not nearly enough attention paid to them.

I also found on Detrol and Ditropan - don't drink when your mouth is dry...instead a sour lemon drop will help! Good luck!!!!
Unread 06-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Detrol LA question

I was pescribed Detrol LA 4 mg for Overactive Bladder. I take it
for a few days, but then will stop using it due to dry mouth and
constipation. I does seem to help some. I find I do not have
as much urgency now without it, but still have involuntary
leakage.

Does Detrol LA 2 mg cause less of a dry mouth? I have been
thinking about trying to get a new prescription for a lower
dose.

Thanks for any advice.

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2003, 01:54 PM
Detrol LA question

YES Detrol or Ditropan causes dry mouth. The dr said suck on candies instead of drinking anything to get rid of it.
I am pretty sure to get the full effect of the drug you shouldn't stop and start it but continue with it. I quit both when they no longer worked for me. My uro was not happy.

Recently, I went to a uro-gyno and in 2 wks he is doing urodynamic testing on my bladder (had once before) to see exactly why and what is going on.
Unread 06-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Detrol LA question

I'm back on Detrol LA and have been for about a week now because of bladder spasms and pain. My mouth is so dry though and YES I'm constipated even though I still have been taking stool softners.

Last night I also experienced really really bad heartburn. During my second surgery I was taken by ambulance to the ER because I had the heartburn symptoms that turned into vomiting bile for HOURS....this was 10 days post op from my repair fistula surgery. I got down to 101 pounds and knew I needed to stop vomiting.

Anyway <trying to make long story short> I was then prescribed a heavy duty antacid and nausea meds.....have still been on the antacid RX.....so I'm wondering if the Detrol LA is what is causing the sudden heartburn that makes me vomit again.

I'm seeing a neurolgist tomorrow morning for my RLS, and Friday I'm having an ultrasound because of pain still.

I'm 4 months post op from the second surgery and feel as though I'm heading backwards....<sigh>

I feel like I have cramps right now....maybe because I'm ovulating (have right ovary only)....

I'm tired of being sick.
Renee<good luck to all hystersisters....I can relate>
Unread 06-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Detrol LA question

I can relate to you and the ongoing pain. I have constant battles with my bladder and the pelvic pain is pretty bad.
Back and neck pain along with newly acquired heel pain just adds to my wonderful disposition.

It's frustrating taking more and more meds.

I have been on prevacid due to the pain meds giving me a stomach ulcer 2 times.....that was PAIN!

The pills that are suppose to help only seem to add new problems.
Unread 06-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Detrol/bladder spasms

Dear Renee & LaurLaur,
My hysterectomy was Nov.2, 2001 and I had bladder spasms for months and months afterwards. Had a LSH, took only uterus which was adhered to my bladder, so I guess it was traumatized more than usual during this sugery. Anyways, these spasms lingered on and the pressure feeling was awful. Felt like I had to go all the time, and even after I went I still felt full. Gyno. put me on Detrol, and I was on it for at least 8 mo. I was so discouraged for it helped somewhat, but the pressure was there and after I would pee it almost hurt. Had no freq. where I had to run to the bathroom, just felt like I did. The Detrol made me very constipated, the dry mouth was awful, and I developed Acid Reflux also as a result of it and the Motrin 800's I was on for the pain. So, Dr. put me on Axid for that, and it seemed to help after a month. I told the gyno. I wanted off the Detrol. I searched the net for bladder info., and talked with many urologists and homeopathic Dr.'s. I found a website that I urge you to check out called Thenaturalbladder.com. It was a godsend to me. I started the supplement Bladder-Q, shared it with my PCP and Gyno. and they both said it wouldn't hurt me at all. It took a month to really tell a difference, but my gosh, the pressure and spasms after going just gradually went away. The Bladder-Q is used for people with I.C, it had Quercetin in it to kind of coat the bladder lining, Passion Flower and Valerian which are anti-spasmodics and also help with anxiety! A 2 for 1 !!!! lol But really, it has made all the difference in the world for me, and I was SO skeptical to try, but felt what the heck, it can't be worse than these perscriptions I've been taking, just to cause another ailment! So, long story short, check out the website because I know how it is to be having the bladder issues for a prolonged time. The bladder is such a sensitive organ, and it is so all connected in there! I still try not to "hold it" too long, for I will get uncomfortable sometimes. Now I have to get over this reflux, and the homeopathic Dr. recommended Orange Peel Extract for this, a capsel everyother day but it has to be 98.5% pure. Got mine at our local health food store, and Dr. Weil (sure you have heard of him on Oprah!) recommended it too for reflux. It does help, I have to watch the caffeine though also. It's a long road for sure, but we will get there! I'm trying to lean twds these natural supplements because I have such aweful side effects from Rx. Well, that was long winded, but my heart goes out to both of you and all you other sisters suffering with the silent and invisible pain of bladder spasms. Please let me know if you have any questions, and keep healing. It takes some so much longer than others, I know I was one of them!
Hugs to you,
Paula
Unread 06-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Detrol LA question

I am not sure if it was you or someone else who mentioned Bladder Q and that website - I have saved it to my fav places, so I think I should take a look at it and see what its about.

I went to homeopathic med place - was put on detox and told by my white tongue that I had liver issues...but after detox and taking calcium with magnesium and some other oil tab - I don't notice any diff. Felt I was being dropped from meds to accupuncture to massage...all just left me without more money and still the same.

But at this point - bladder q can't hurt so I will check it out. Will mention to the uro gyno and see what response i get.
Unread 06-02-2003, 01:26 PM
Bladder-Q

laurLaur,
I am glad you are going to check out the Bladder-Q. I am not one who is fed up with traditional medicine, just had so many side effects from Rx. I had to look elsewhere. I think some homeopathic Doc's are a bit extreme, my gyno. was all in favor of the bladder-Q for as you mentioned, there was no harm trying. It helped me, so whether it was just time that I needed to heal or was truly the Bladder-Q I do not know. I do know that it kicked in after a few wks., and then I felt almost normal again, something I hadn't felt for over a year. Also, with the Orange Peel extract for the heartburn, I had the same positive response. Do some research on the web, the Bladder-Q lists all the ingred. so you can show your Urologist. Hopefully he/she will be open minded as mine was. Best of luck to you Laur, and keep in touch! Hope you are having a good day...
Paula
Unread 06-02-2003, 04:33 PM
Detrol Sample Insert

As I opened a new sample pack of Detrol, I saw and read the insert. This may provide the answer you are looking for. Bear with me as I write it ver batim: " Detrol LA can start working soon after you begin taking it. There is considerable variation in how different people respond to DETROL LA, so it is important to give your body the time it needs to experience the full benefit. Your body has become accostomed to more frequent bathroom visits, and even though the medicine in Detrol LA has been shown to work on the bladder muscles almost immediately, you still have to allow time to retrain your body and your mind. In clinincal studies with overactive bladder medications, maximum effectiveness was reached after 8-12 weeks for the average patient. So stick with DETROL LA and work with your body to learn new behavior patterns." This helped me in that my MD could not give me a good time frame. This is straight from the Upjohn. Hope it helps. I am sure if your have a scipt, the pharmacy should be able to provide you with a handout with similiar info.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register