Is it possible to have a 'partial' bowel blockage? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is it possible to have a 'partial' bowel blockage? Is it possible to have a 'partial' bowel blockage?

Unread 02-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Is it possible to have a 'partial' bowel blockage?

Sisters,

Sorry, if this is a stupid question...but I'm wondering if something like this is possible. You see, I've been having major constipation lately...then when I do go, I almost faint from the pain. I've been forcing myself to eat a lot of fresh fruit, and I started back on the Metamucil. Yesterday I had a horrible bm (sorry this is so gross) I went a lot and it was almost black - which makes me wonder if it had been hanging around inside of me for a while. I still haven't gone today...but I plan on uping my Metamucil intake (and keep eating the fruit).

I've been dealing with this constipation for a while. I do have IBS and usually I'm the other way. This is the first time I've had to deal with the constipation side of it.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

S &

Jude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2003, 10:29 AM

Jude:

Black stool would possibly be a sign of upper GI bleeding? But, you said almost black. Perhaps you should contact your doctor just to be sure.

My MIL had radiation treatment for cervical cancer that made her bowels non flexible. She frequently has partial obstructions, so yes it is possible. When this happens to my MIL she vomits and has tremendous abdominal pain.

I am sorry to hear you are living with IBS. My Mom and DS both have it.

Take care of yourself.
Unread 02-03-2003, 11:49 AM
Jude...

Please contact a GI doc. I've been having similar problems/thoughts. I can actually feel my (sorry this is gross) waste moving through me at certain points. I nearly come "unglued" - sweating, nausea (sometimes vomit), EXTREME pain, really pale in color, trembling and weakness.

My OCMD says I have 3 adhesions that are attached to my intestines (and when she presses there, that's exactly where the pain is when I nearly faint during 'using the bathroom'). Over the weekend, I has similar problems (including upper gi problems). If you have really dark stools, see a gi doc. It *is* a sign of intestinal (small) or stomach bleeding (ulcers). I know this because I have bleeding ulcers. Another way to tell if you have bleeding ulcers is (you usually vomit, but not always - just depends on the severity) you may feel like someone is taking their fingernail and jabbing you in the somach from the inside out.

Any good upper G/I and some accomplished GP's can do a scope down the stomach.

Let us know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your feedback ((Michelle & Anj))

I have had this in the past...and I also have had previous ulcers. I wish I could contact a GI doc...but up here, you have to wait for a referral, and then wait for the appointment. This whole process could take months. I know my neuro doc is working on it though...and if it gets worse, I will make the dreaded trip to the ER.

Anj...I completely understand what you are saying. I too can feel 'it' moving at certain points. I can also feel it the other way around...like when I'm drinking water, or sometimes eating...I can feel it going down. I hardly ever vomit though - that is something I do rarely. I can also relate to this statement "someone is taking their fingernail and jabbing you in the somach from the inside out." Not always...but it does occur - and usually around the belly button - is that the same place you feel it? This feeling is much different from the Endo/Nerve Damage pain.

((Michelle)) Thanks for sharing my dear! I wasn't sure if partial obstructions were possible...but thought I'd ask the smartest people on the planet for input I don't vomit, although I feel like it sometimes. I am having a different sort of abdominal pain lately...also feels very heavy. Days can go by before I'm able to go...and I truly dread it because of the pain etc. Gosh what some people take for granted eh?!

Thanks again Sisters....and S to you both!
Unread 02-03-2003, 05:07 PM

Jude, prior to this last adhesion removal my general surgeon told me he thought I had what was called an "intermittent partial bowel obstruction"......wherein, my bowel would get full to a certain point and have a hard time moving past a certain point.........my GP said he didn't think this was possible but the GS said "oh yeah it definitely is" and that sure seemed to be what would happen.

Same thing as you, when I would finally go, after about two days, I would honestly think, as I live alone, that I was probably going to die there on the "throne" and there they would find me, the pain was excruciating when I was trying to go......and my tummy was always distended and it was hard to walk, felt like I had a bag of rocks on either side of my abdomen.....nothing showed up in xray or ultrasound in my case.

So to make a long story short........according to my GS, yes it can happen.....I have had two instances similiar to this in the last month but nothing close to the severity of before this surgery, so I have to assume it was adhesion related in my case.

big hugs sweetie.....you know you're in my ......let me know if there is anything else you want to know about my particular instance!!!! 's!!!
Unread 02-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Many hugs

Dear Judester,
wow, I'm so sorry you are now having these bowel problems. I agree with the other sisters, a dark or black stool is not a good sign, so please please have it checked out somehow. Also, just wondering what pain meds are you taking, if any, and are you taking vitamins with iron as I'm thinking you may know iron can wreck havoc on the bowels. I hope Metamucil helps you, it helps me at. I deal with IBS and diverticulosis - which included two bouts of diverticulitis, one I was in the hospital for last year, so I know how nasty bowel troubles are. I had adhesions removed from my sigmoid colon last year when I had the rectocele repaired. Now of course it's my bladder and I'm scared to death. And, just lately my one remaining ovary on the left is causing pain. What next huh? I sure hope you can resolve these nasty bowel troubles. Let us know what you find out and if you are feeling better.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 02-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Gidge - very interesting...

Did the GS say anything about what to do about the partial obstructions? Or is this yet another mystery in the world of medicine? (would be just my luck)

And, I, like you am also afriad that I will go the way of Elvis.

"Adrite was found slumped over on the toilet friday night..."

Unread 02-04-2003, 08:03 AM

Partial obstructions ARE a real entity - I've had several, in addition to a full obstruction. Sometimes partial obstructions will show up on ct scans/xrays, showing free air, dilated bowel loops, or fluid filled loops of bowel. It is my understanding that surgery is rarely performed on a partial obstruction - usually you get the old NG tube, and NPO, just iv's to flush you out.
If i feel a partial obstruction starting - abdominal pain, bad naseau, I immediately go to a liquid diet. This has helped me tremendously, and saves me from the horror of another NG tube insertion - that is the WORST!

I hope this helped!

Jill
Unread 02-04-2003, 06:17 PM

((Judy)),
As you see from the other replies, it is possible I suffer from these all to often & like the others, BM's cause me off the chart pain levels. I feel mine, know the pain all to well The first few times I went the ER route but have now learned how to help resolve mine-drinking fluids & moving around more. I'm more susceptible b/c of the prior total obstructions along w/ my malrotation. Here are some links w/ good info concerning this:

Intestinal obstructions:
http://www.ehendrick.org/healthy/00053220.html

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/misc/...ts/0103_14.pdf

Chronic Intermittent Intestinal Obstruction:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/410782_3

http://my.webmd.com/encyclopedia/article/4115.20694
http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancerinfo/pd...ation/patient/

This has some people discussing my same problem(malrotation):
http://www.omphalocele.com/forums/Bi.../posts/54.html

Screening for Bowel Obstructions:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00129.htm

Hope this is of some help Judy Please keep us posted...(((hugs)))
Unread 02-04-2003, 06:45 PM

{{{Judy}}}
I've had intermittant symptoms of really dark tarry stools at times and everything has checked out okay with me, well...at least with all the tests the docs have performed. Of course, it is always best to get it checked out.

Before the hyst my symptoms of IBS were ALWAYS constipation. Within the last year or so it's now been more diarhea. You're not alone sweetie. I sure wish someone would figure us out and fix us.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register