ovarian tumor - nervous & scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian tumor - nervous & scared ovarian tumor - nervous & scared

Unread 02-04-2003, 10:07 PM
ovarian tumor - nervous & scared

Had a us w/color dopplor. My CA 125 is 390 and estrogen is elevated. Doc. said indicative of granulosa cell tumor. 50/50 chance of ovca. Can ovarian tumors that have papillary projections and septations (sp?) be benign?

Also, the first oncologist I saw never did his own ultra sound. Is that normal?

I have an appt w/2nd gyn/onc tomorrow a.m. and of course I'm up obessing when I should be sleeping. It feels like the first day of school and I'm hoping I get a good teacher (one who I like) and don't get too much homework.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 04:13 AM

s Clarisse

My original US was done by my local ob/gyn. The gyn/onc who did my surgery never repeated the US. She did send me for a CAT scan, however. If the gyn/onc does not repeat the US, I would assume they were satisfied with the quality of the one they are viewing.
Make certain one of the gyn/oncs you are consulting is the one who performs your surgery. This is vitally important, just in case staging needs to be done at the time of surgery. Too many ladies have surgery by their ob/gyn and then need a second surgery six to eight weeks later by a gyn/onc.
Septation is an adjective that can indicate a problem.
Hopefully if it is cancerous, it will be of the granulosa type. Their cure rate is extremely high at 95%.
Waiting and not knowing is sooo hard.
Please keep in touch with us.
You are in my prayers.

karenann
Unread 02-05-2003, 05:59 AM

I had a cyst on my right ovary prior to my LAVH. My cyst was septated and suspicious. The doctor did a frozen section during my operation. I was very nervous about it being canerous, but it turned out to be benign. So, yes complex, or septated cysts can be benign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 08:21 AM

Hi Clarrise!

I'm so sorry that you're having this scare but very glad that you're getting a second opinion.

I didn't have an US at all prior to my surgery. I went straight from the elevated CA125 to a MRI to my Gyn Onc visit. As Karenann mentioned, he was one who can also act as primary surgeon so he was mine with my regular Gyn assisting. I agree, its SOOOO important to have a Gyn Onc present if Cancer is suspected.

But, nothing is ever certain until pathology is confirmed so we'll all be hoping and praying for GREAT results.

Let us know how everything goes when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 02-06-2003, 08:48 AM
thanks

I went to new gyn/onc yesterday at Univerity of Chicago. I'm much more confident in this doctor then the last gyn/onc. New doc wants to see for himself. Ordered new CA 125 and ultrasound. I go back next Tues. Hopefully surgery will be scheduled then. He also wants a colonoscopy before surgery. (oh great)

I feel so crappy. I am out of breath just wiping down the counters or climbing stairs. That scares me. I need to check the pain meds. Maybe they do that. I can make it until about 2:00 in the afternoon before my ovary starts to ache and throb.

It has grown from 2.5 cm to 6 cm in a couple of weeks. They say it could be related to my cycle. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.
Unread 02-06-2003, 10:17 AM

I know right where you are emotionally. It is so frightening. The mind can really go into overdrive with something like this.
Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Chris
Unread 02-06-2003, 10:18 AM

My doc didn't repeat the US, but did repeat the CA-125 (wanted a few readings timed to my menstrual cycle) and did a CT, MRI and colonoscopy.

How much testing to do before hand is a matter of debate. It is VERY hard to rule out ovarian cancer before surgery, and most of the testing is related to seeing if there is some other cause for the elevated CA-125.

The most important thing is to get your surgery done or assisted by a gyn onc. If g-d forbid it turns out to be cancer, they know exactly how to do the surgery to maximize the chances for a great outcome.

Dorrie
Unread 02-06-2003, 11:12 AM

Clarisse:

I had my surgery for an 11 cm, septated, complex mass and a CA-125 of 200. In my case, it turned out to be severe endometriosis, which can also elevate the CA-125.

A colonoscopy before surgery is a good idea, to see if there is any intestinal obstruction or invasion -- sometimes a CT with oral contrast can give you the same information. I got to see my C-T (I do ultrasound and knew the radiologist, so he let us look) and what it showed was that the mass was shifting everything out of place but was not invasive. It did turn out to be adhered to the rectal area, though!

I'm glad you're happy with the second oncologist that you saw. I wound up with three opinions before my surgery, and in the end it was done by yet another surgeon in the oncology group that I went to see. The oncologist is a great idea even if it isn't cancer. If it's endometriosis, and there is intestinal involvement, the oncologists have the extra training to deal with that sort of complex surgery...the regular GYN would have to call in a general surgeon to do any sort of bowel repair, but the oncologist could do whatever was needed.

As far as the out of breath feeling, that could be due to anemia. Many of us are at least somewhat anemic prior to surgery from bleeding, and that certainly can account for some symptoms. Also, a large cyst can impinge on the other structures and lean against the diaphragm, leading to the sensation of never being quite able to take a full breath (which is what happened to me).

The rapid growth of your cyst could also be consistent with the point in your cycle. Are you pretty good about documenting your cycle? It will help enormously as you go through the further testing prior to surgery. Do you have a date yet? We'll be ing for you!

Audrey
Unread 02-07-2003, 05:43 AM
thanks

I don't have a date yet. I go back to gyn/onc next Tuesday for the us and assuming i'll know more then.

I also have papillary projections on the tumor. Does that make it worse? Of course we won't know anything for sure until they go in.

Also, does anyone know the significance of having elevated estrogen?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register