nail polish & contacts? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nail polish & contacts? nail polish & contacts?

Unread 02-04-2003, 10:32 PM
nail polish & contacts?

I have artificial nails - I don't want them removed. I did cut them down and take the polish off - they are grown out some, so the nail bed is exposed - does anyone think that would be okay with the doc's?

Also - should I bother taking my contacts to the castle or should I just take my glasses? Any thoughts?

Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2003, 11:06 PM
nail polish & contacts?

Hi,

I dont have contacts but I do wear my glasses all the time but I would opt for using glasses in the castle if I were in your shoes. I just gave my glasses to my DH when I was about to be wheeled to the OR.
I dont think I would have been up to messing with contacts in the castle if I wore them.

As far as your nails go, the majority here is most doctors tell us not to wear nail polish on either our hands or feet. They need to be able to check how we are doing and I would think artificial nails would hamper that. Please call your doctor to make sure tho. You could always get them put back on as a part of your pampering once you are up to it during recovery.

Best of luck to you. Please come back and let us know what the doctor says....

s
Unread 02-05-2003, 02:30 AM
nail polish & contacts?

Hi Diane,

Since my vision is so much better wearing contacts, I did take them with me... along with my glasses.

If you decide to wear your contacts, PLEASE let someone know... just in case you drift off to sleep ;-)

Best of luck to you!

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 05:50 AM
Nails

Hi Lady Diane,
Fear not.
I too have acrylic on my nails (w/o tips) and I prefer a very dark purple polish.
I kept my polish on all fingers and toes but my left index finger.
(I'm right handed, so I see that one less.)
This was more than sufficient for my surgery -Jan 27, TAH/BSO, as well as
a very surprising trip to the ER 8 days post surgery.
The medical personnel only need to see ONE (1) toe or finger during proceedures and to use the pulse/oxide finger clip.
So keep on that beautiful polish!
Since no make up or jewelry is allowed, its nice to have a little "Pampered Princess" about you during your recovery!
P.S. I kept on acyrlic and I added rinestones for that extra effect!
And don't forget to !!!!
That's what landed me in the ER.
Lots of good wishes to you.
-Teberg
Unread 02-05-2003, 05:57 AM
nail polish & contacts?

When you go for your hospital pre op they should give you instructions but every hospital has different procedures. My pre-op instructions were written out and crystal clear: "Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry the day of surgery. You may wear contacts lenses. Bring your case so that you can remove them before surgery. You will also be asked to remove dentures, partial plates, or other prosthesis before surgery." They did tell me I could keep my wedding ring on; they would tape it during surgery. Every room in my hospital has a large wall clock right under the TV so I didn't have to worry about a watch.

Just my own personal opinion: I preferred to be as "natural" as possible, because even with all the new high tech equipment I believe if there is a chance they can spot a potential problem by being able to observe my nail beds or the color of my face, etc and not waiting for the machine to tell them something may be wrong then I wanted to give them that possible early warning time.

Best wishes!
Unread 02-05-2003, 06:45 PM
nail polish & contacts?

Great advice gals - thanks. Of coarse, I like the uncovering one nail & I could care less about my toes. I decided that I don't want my contacts with - less to worry about.

Boy, the DH must be a little more "stressed" than be about tomorrow - he's a grouch! And I'm the one who laid awake until 3:15 this morning & had trouble getting through the day at work! I did pamper myself - girls I'm a bargain shopper and our store, Kohl's had 70% off of the clearance price - I bought more pj's and lounge clothes. So fun! That's how I destress!!!!

Good luck everyone going in along with me tomorrow (Thursday)!!!!!!!!!!!

Diane
Unread 02-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Nails

Diane,
I took off my nail polish and left on my tips (my thumbs are bare). I would rather have my toes polished than my fingers, but both are polish-less. I'm leaving my contacts at home and just taking my glasses. Good for you for shopping! I went yesterday to Lane Bryant (yes, I'm a Big, Beautiful Woman). I bought three pajamas/lounge outfits, 4 bras, 6 panties, and some lounge socks. I overspent, but this is a once in a life time thing and when the credit card bill comes and/or my DH sees the recpt, I'll have to tell him that. My DH sounds the same way as yours. He seems like he is mad about me having this done. I talked to his mom, she said that he is probably scared about unforeseen things. My date was upped to the 14th, then yesterday, my doctor told me that I can get it on the sixth. Which was good, because the 15th is the anniversary of my mom's death. I am so nervous! I still have scared thoughts about if something goes wrong with the anesthesia. And dumb thoughts about what if I do something stupid while I'm out of it (the same thoughts that I had before all three of my babies - what if I don't have any control of my bowels, and what if I get seriously constipated while at the castle). Then my Dear Mother-in-Law told me tonight that she knows a woman who had it done 3 years ago and still can not vacuum. On the plus side, maybe I won't have to vacuum any more. My bag is packed, since this morning. I looked at the "What To Bring To The Hospital" list. What is a "Tummy Pillow? And the pre-op form says "no jewelry." Do I remove my wedding band? And if so, when can I put it back on? I have to walk our 5-y.o. son to the bus stop in the morning and try to keep life on some kind of routine while I'm gone. He says that I will be gone for too long. I don't know how my DH will do. This will be his first time alone, over night, with the boys. Our 18 m.o. requires routine. Hopefully, he'll be alright. We don't have family, or anyone to help afterwards, just my DH. I have to take my mid-term exam tonight on-line, and catch up on some homework. I'd rather be watching Law and Order. Any way, sorry I'm rattling on. Tomorrow is our big day!
Unread 02-08-2003, 02:45 PM
nail polish & contacts?

Check with your doctor. I have acrylic nalis with deep red polish and I didn't have to take anything off. My doctor said he always checks toes anyway. I did have to go in with no makeup. And they made me take off my wedding ring even after they said I could wear just that.
Unread 02-08-2003, 09:48 PM
nail polish & contacts?

I'm back from the Castle. I kept my fake nails on & took the polish off. I then attempted to take one nail off and I pointed that one out to the anesthiologist; she said was fine. I kept my toes painted. I took my glasses & contacts with. I only wore my contacts when I left the hospital. All the advice was great. I did wear my own jammies when they took the IV out. The morphine made me itch terribly and then made me nautias because I used the max for awhile. I suffer from awful headaches and I got a killer one on day 2. It went away after about 22 hours. The pain really was just like labor pains - if that helps you.

My DH has been good - 13 year old DD has been less than enjoyable! Total attitude! A friend showed up with dinner tonight - how wonderful!

I'm rambilng.....waiting to hear from you Annie on your return from the castle!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register