CT scan cocktail | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CT scan cocktail CT scan cocktail

Unread 02-05-2003, 08:02 AM
CT scan cocktail

I hope someone has some info quick! After drinking all this hideous stuff for abdominal/pelvic scans, colonscopies and such follow-up fun, I just cannot stand any more of the junk. It makes me gag, literally. My question is this: one doc says I can drink half the contrast the night before and thereby, not have to drink the whole amount. Another says no way - gotta drink the whole bottle an hour before. Does anybody have any info? My gag reflex has gotten so bad, that it kicks in on all the lemon flavored stuff and I really struggle to get it down and keep it down. Has anyone any experience in drinking the contrast early, drinking less than the Big Gulp size??? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Wish I Could Be Helpful, but No...

I've always had the four cups 90 minutes before the scan. The last time, I was so thirsty I really gulped the first cup down and then gagged and burped through the next three. I know there are people who drink some the night before and then a last bit just before but I don't know what they call this stuff or why they have this option. Where I go they switched from that awful lemon stuff to something that's creamier but still gaggy. I know the feeling--Rn practitioner asked Dr. yesterday about doing a CT next month after chemo 8 and I gagged thinking about that junk.
Unread 02-05-2003, 11:06 AM
CT scan cocktail

OMG!! I know what you mean....The red enhancing drink they gave me before my ct scan was terrible. It was not only horribly sweet, but it gave me the worst diarehea. When I had my colonoscopy two days later and I was faced with drinking the Golytley gallon....I didn't think I could do it, but somehow I did. I used a straw and would place the straw back in my throat to avoid the taste buds. My goodness....they have to come up with something better..... especially in times of worry and stress the ole tummy is upset to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 01:26 PM
CT scan cocktail

I also had to drink the stuff for the cat scan, if i remember correctly, at least an hour before the test, and then they gave me more to drink in the waiting room. The night before was a no no. Anyway, there must be something wrong with my taste buds... I really was not that bad, somewhat like a very very cold vanilla milkshake.

Now for that golightly stuff for the colonscopy... that is another story all by itself.. first 2 glasses were not bad but the rest was a horror. plus it was very salty. I do not think i will ever forget that stuff.

You are all right, there has to be a better way.

Rosalie
Unread 02-05-2003, 05:56 PM
CT scan cocktail

s Viking Girl

When I was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I did my CAT scans at a local community hospital. The prep was about a quart's worth of white gross liquid which I had to drink at home about two hours before the scan. Then I had to drink a little more when I arrived at the CAT scan department.
I have since switched to having my CAT scans done at the cancer hospital where I am treated. And it is so much easier. One hour before the CAT scan I drink two eight oz glasses of my flavor choice: grape, cranberry or apple. That's it. Still gross no matter how you look at it. And I still feel like gagging toward the end.
I never heard of prepping the night before for a CAT of the pelvis and abdomen.

karenann
Unread 02-05-2003, 09:59 PM
CT scan cocktail

My first CT scan, I had 4 quarts of white chalky stuff to drink and I started hours before and hadn't eaten in a lot of hours or drunk anything else and oh man it jammed up the internal works. And that I couldn't choke down. Maybe it's that old system that the other doc remembers.

Ever since, It's been the 4 cups of apple juice with the contrast mixed in, drunk 1 cup every 15 minutes with the last one chugged right before. It's so much easier. Why don't you call the place and ask if there's a different kind of mixture you could have? I find it so much easier to have the apple juice. And there's such a long wait at my clinic, I had two hours to sip at it last time. Maybe you could ask to be scheduled when they are really busy and falling behind so you have lots of time to get it down

Now, where was I reading on the boards, maybe it was on the Road a while back, about a different way to clean out than swigging the boat load of Go-lytely. I definitely thought I'd try it next colonoscopy.
Unread 02-06-2003, 07:35 AM
CT scan cocktail

Oh drats - no magic potion to avoid the CT scan gunk...Trish, whenever I have a colonscopy done, I never drink the whole gallon, per doctors' orders. I have done it two ways, both of which work fine. One, I fasted for two days before the procedure, soft liquids (milkshakes, ice cream etc) the first day and the next day I drink only clear liquids. You only have to drink about half of the gallon of Go-lytely (which is still a half-gallon too much!. The easier (for me) way was to fast for two days beforehand and then drink the 8 oz bottles of the over-the-counter stuff (phospho-soda, I think), drinking one each day. By fasting as part of the bowel prep, you don't drink as much and the cramps are not bad. Next go round, I am going with the pills and see how they work

Still hoping for an alternative to the CT scan goop!
Unread 02-06-2003, 10:21 AM
CT scan cocktail

What a set of choices - no food or more golightly!

I'm probably the only person here who prefers the golightly to either fasting or the yucky contrast

Gotta laugh about something

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register