1 week post op, feeling BAD! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post op, feeling BAD! 1 week post op, feeling BAD!

Unread 02-06-2003, 11:16 AM
1 week post op, feeling BAD!

Well, I am one week post-op today and I DEFINITELY am feeling worse than any day since I have been home. I am so tired and hurting so much. I got up at 0400 because I couldn't sleep, then went back to bed at 0600. I slept till noon! I feel exhausted. I almost passed out this morning when I tried to pick up a pair of socks (which my DH lectured me for). I also think I have a slight fever, This is so frustrating, I thought by now I would have started to feel BETTER. My DH says I have been doing too much, and not eating and sleeping enough. I have lost 17 lbs since the surgery only 1 week ago, but I am eating now, and I think a lot of that was water from being on my cycle at the time. I used to put on up to 10 lbs each month and go through the nothing fits stages for about a week. Anyway I am just complaining because I wanted to be functional by now. I am all alone all day and no one to complain to. Thanks for being there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2003, 11:39 AM
hi there and I am sorry you are not feeling well!

I felt pretty good after surgery for about a week. Then it was like lightening struck and I felt awful. The other women here said that it is because the anesthetic and other meds are leaving your system so you might start feeling things and be more sore than before. I am a little over 3 weeks post-op now and feeling good most of the time but my eating and sleeping habits have not returned to normal. I do still get tired out of I am busy. Then of course I am wired for sound at 2 a.m. I am hoping that I can get straightened out before I go back to work in a couple of weeks. I know I haven't given you much help but at least you know that you aren't alone.

Take care and it will get better!
Unread 02-06-2003, 11:51 AM

Take it easy. At one week post-op, you really should not bend down to pick up socks. With all you've had done, that's way too much strain. My husband was putting my shoes and socks on me for 2 weeks. As for the weight loss and lack of appetite, try eating multiple small meals. I found that it really helped to have a freezer full of Healthy Choice dinners -- if it wasn't already prepared, it wasn't appetizing, and hubby ain't no cook! I am in my 4th week and I am feeling better each week, but this is a slow process and easy does it. I limit myself to 2 "big" activities a day (going to the Post Office or a very short market trip) and then come home & lie down with my feet elevated. Rest, rest, rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2003, 12:37 PM

Well fortunately (unfortunately?) my DH is a certified chef. He is always cooking up something wonderful. He is gonna kill me when he gets home because I unloaded and loaded the dishwasher! But those dishes had been there for almost a week and I wouldn't stand it anymore. My back was hurting so bad about 1/2 through I almost didn't finish. I didn't wipe the counters or anything. I would love to, and sweep, but I know it would do me in! I was too tired to make anything for lunch, so I ate an oatmeal pie! That's nutritious. Lord! I keep whining about not feeling well then I read what I am writing! No wonder.
Unread 02-06-2003, 01:03 PM

Don't load & unload the dishwasher! That's too much bending! Ask your husband to do it -- he really can handle it. You don't want to do anything that could cause scar tissue or adhesions to form. This is your one chance to heal properly. Many of those little movements and activities we commonly engage in require the use of our stomach muscles. You will be doing dishes and housework again soon enough! If that little lecture isn't enough, I've found when I overdo it, I get the dreaded swelly belly!

P.S. I emptied the dishwasher & loaded it at 1 week, too. Then I thought better of it and didn't attempt it again until the middle of week 4. And I still don't do it every time it needs to be done. It's amazing how quickly you can train a sympathetic husband.
Unread 02-06-2003, 01:04 PM
feeling icky

It is very normal to feel horrible 1 week post op, just think of what you have been through. Surgery is a major deal. Not only do you have the incision, which hurts, but narcotics and anesthetic drugs on board, you have huge fluid shifts going on, plus hormonal changes. So no wonder you feel lousy. I am 13 days post op, TAH/BSO, I felt like crap on day 7 also, but I realized what it was. Try stepping down on your narcotics if you can, ask for Tylenol #3 that helped for me. But do talk to your dr. Remember this too shall pass. I work in surgery and see this stuff all the time, if you only knew what we do to patients. It is a big deal, so pour yourself some nice warm tea, have some chocolate chip cookies, stay in bed and relax, what you are feeling is normal. Good luck.
Unread 02-06-2003, 01:06 PM

I quit taking my percocets yesterday, I hate feeling stoned. Maybe that is what this is all about? I have been taking Motrin, seems to help some. Well I am due for a nap I think.
Unread 02-06-2003, 03:15 PM
feeling icky

You may need something besides motrin. I tried it and it didn't work for me, I was in too much discomfort. I too hated that narc'd feeling. Ask if you can have Tylenol #3, I found I didn't need to take them "every 4 hours" but as needed for pain. Today is the first day I haven't taken one. But I am taking 600 mg Ibuprofen every 5 hours. It still hurts, but is tolerable. I bet you will be feeling abit better in a couple of days. But don't let the pain take over, its important to stay on top of it. Take the pain meds when you need them.
Unread 02-06-2003, 06:45 PM

Look out. A week post-op I was feeling tired and achy, thought I had a touch of flu. That night I was blacking out, thought it was the BM. Next morning I passed out completely and spent the entire day in ER. After a cat scan, an internal, blood work, and other x-rays it turned out I was dehyrated; severely dehydrated. I had water, juice, or decaf tea by my side at all times the whole week prior. I was not active. I was eating soft food. But somehow got dehydrated anyway. They told me that a normal person should drink 8- 8oz glasses a day and I should be drinking way more than that being that it is dry, and I had surgery. Now I drink so much I'm in the bathroom every 1/2 hour and constantly full of liquid. Better that than in the ER again. When I read your symptoms a red light went off. Start chugging and see if it helps.
Unread 02-07-2003, 01:14 PM
yep, me too

I felt horrible after one week. And felt as if I would never feel good again! I'm just a little over 2 weeks post-op and still feel yucky, but I am feeling some better. Still tired, sore, etc.

DR suggested I try an icepack. Haven't yet, but probably will try this evening.

Hubby has caught me doing too much too. He had a fit that I folded towels 2 days ago. Really, towels? Didn't think it would hurt and it didn't, but hubby was upset with me.

So, I'm doing very little around the house. If nothing more than to keep hubby from yelling at me!

Take it easy. I guess we'll have to for a while!

Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register