Just found out I have a fistula - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Just found out I have a fistula Just found out I have a fistula

Unread 03-24-2003, 06:24 AM
Just found out I have a fistula

Morning everyone,

It is so great to check in every once in a while and see how all are progressing.

Karen, so glad you are on the other side now!

I did the restless leg thing for a while. I found that making sure I was taking my Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and enough Potassium really helped.

Yesterday I was 6 months out from the initial hysterectomy-what a happy anniversary, and 3-1/2 months since getting the ureteral stent out. Talking about fatigue, yesterday I mowed the back yard and was pooped. Before surgery I could mow front, back and the lower acre and be tired but okay. Still, I feel so much better than I did last year at this time.

I agree about the bladder feelings and concerns. The longer I get away from my fistula, the less I even think about it. All of those odd bladder and vaginal sensations are GONE now. YIPEE!! There is light at the end of all these tunnels.

Enjoying the Spring!
MaryJulia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2003, 06:44 AM

Hi Ladies

Hope this finds everyone well and healing- ((Sherry)) I hope your UTI is better please let me know.. have been thinking of you!! ((Louise)) hope you are TRYING to take at easy at work and ((MaryJulia))- you GO girl mowing that lawn.. I used to do that!! (( Renee)) hope you are OK at work also-seems everyone is getting along well.

(((Jan)))- keep the faith honey- your day is coming and will be here before you know it and you will feel better!!

Well now for me - I am doing well so they tell me- just real, real tired.. was not this tired after hyster- but DH, Dr, nurses etc keep reminding me I had 2 surgeries with alot going on with each.. so it is just my body healing!! So I rest, rest and rest. Just have the supra now and it really does not even hurt.. of course I have NO feeling from my previous surgeries so that helps..Still have bladder spasms though and feel like foley is there, but hope that will subside with time.. my behind is still very sore and is hard to sit in a chair so I lay down most of the time and rest and yes ((Louise)) I am drinking alot of water- the visiting nurse was commenting on how clear my urine was and I thought of you!!

So I am hopefully on the mend and don't see Dr until 4/10 and he will remove supra after cysto in office. Please keep me updated as to how you all are- as I just cannot yet sit and answer other threads yet!!

Well I am off to couch again.. be well sisters and praying for you all!!

and
Unread 03-25-2003, 07:20 AM
You go Girl

Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself. My prayers are with you for a quick recovery and God's strength comes your way. Keep doing as you are and you will come back stronger than ever. Hugs. Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2003, 07:41 AM

Karen!

Glad to hear you are feeling good and listening to Louise's advice and drinking lots of water.

I found that the supra wasn't too bad, especially with not having any feeling in that area anyway. Found the tape bothered me more.

I know that feeling like the foley is there, but it's NOT (yah!)

I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow at 10:15. I am feeling better today, still leaking but still no diapers, just a pad.

I think it might be clearing up because don't always feel that "pressure", I hope so. Think I need another week of antibioitics. Did alot of reading on the "bladder lining" and how it becomes sensitive. Trying not to aggrevate it with spicy foods, caffiene etc. At this rate I'll be a pencil!

Get rest, take care, thinking of you,

Sherry xo
Unread 03-27-2003, 07:48 AM

Hi Ladies,

Well I am making 8 hours each day this week. It's Thursday morning and I plan on staying 8 hours again with the hope of making it 40 hours so I can get OT on Sat. I'm exhausted though. I'm having weird pains. The pains are down below my incision inside somewhere. It's like a sharp pain. It happens when I'm just sitting. By the end of work my back is killing me. I really wish it wasn't so important for me to work at this new job (the rest of tax season) because I'd be taking it more easy but I'm needed....and it's only till the 15th.

I got a med for my RLS. I'm taking it at night. I don't find it helping while I'm resting watching TV but I don't have some the kicking and twitching during my sleep. It's some kind of "valium" family.

Well I have to get ready for work. Three more days and then one day off and then another 6 days. I can do it short term.

Take care Karen. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope everyone is doing okay.

Until later,
Renee
Unread 03-28-2003, 06:11 AM
Update

Hi

OK- who has had this happen?? someone I hope.. I had the supra cath get clogged last night and was peeing thru the urethra for a couple of hours last night!! It did feel good but I about had a cow, my DH thought I was headed for the nearest window!!

I called and spoke with Dr last night and he was not that upset(at least he seemed not to be) and was just concerned I was peeing thru the right channels so to speak.. I have to go down to office this morning and he wants to put a foley in also??!!No Way!!

The cath is now working fine thank goodness but I can see some loose stuff floating in there(gross I know). he says that they do clog and that is a problem.. so I am going down to get it irrigated and I am not getting a foley as long as supra is working..I sometimes think I have a black cloud over me inhibiting my getting well.. I know seems small problem but to have 2 cath's for another 2 weeks is not my idea of a good time.. then I will really be stuck at home..oh well I have to get my darling children off to school- I will check in later after Dr. appt.

Unread 03-28-2003, 08:06 AM

Karen,

I know that it is possible to pee normally even with a supra in. When I was training my bladder I would clamp the supra for 45 minutes and measure I much I would go normally. The think is that the supra is giving your bladder a "rest" and letting the fistula heal. I know lots of "gross" stuff passes through the tube and of course the tube is "clear" so we can see it all!

I don't blame you about the foley -- I hate those suckers too. It's one or the other, but not both! How does one move? LOL

Mine never got clogged but it is possible and possible for them to unclog it.

Hard to believe all the stuff we are going through. I'm praying all will go well with you and a speedy recovery.

Thinking of you always,

Sherry xo
Unread 03-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Two Caths

Sorry Karen to hear about your latest upset. I totally know how it goes. I had BOTH supra & foley after my fix surgery. I felt like I was a faucet. They both Y'd into one bag. It was fairly uncomfortable but my urologist didn't want ANY pressure on my bladder so it could heal. I'm sure that is why the doctor wants you to have both. I had the foley and supra for two weeks and then down to JUST the supra for another 2 weeks.

I had been catheterized for so long (5 months) that I was able to go out. I found overalls to be the most comfortable and you can actually raise the bottom leg up to empty the bag so you don't have to undress everytime you need to empty.

Let us know how it goes today. I'll be thinking of you. Remember, I know it's hard although there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. I felt like I had a black cloud over me too. It's normal to feel that way when "bad" stuff keeps happening.

Well today is my 5th day of work completing a 40 hour week AND I'm working tomorrow too with only Sunday off and then another 6 days. I am so exhusted I don't know if I should keep up this pace. I keep saying it's just till April 15th but I don't want my health to go bad again. My hair is still falling out and I still have inside pain and my leg spasm are still occuring even with the new med. It's allowing me to sleep but during the day I feel twitchy.

Well off to get ready for Friday. I can't wait till I can rest more.
Take care all.
Renee
Unread 03-28-2003, 02:54 PM
UPDATE

Hi

Thanks for the good advice- went to URO and saw him and told him there was no way I was going to have both cath's- so I got the supra flushed (and got all I need to do it at home to) and told him if it clogged over the weekend I would call visiting nurse and have her put foley back in-..

So it is draining good now again and I will just hope for the best. I actually went from one hospital to another today-as my 6 year old nephew ran into a car on his bike but thankfully just got some bruises and scrapes!! He will be fine- so to say I am tired now is an understatement.. so I will hope for the best and get supra out in 2 weeks- it did feel good though to go normal again- and I know I can do it!! everyone have a good weekend!!

Unread 03-29-2003, 12:45 AM

Hi . I hope you are feeling better. I too have had the cath get a bit stopped up, but not completely stop. It would be nice if they told us in the beginning about all the floatie things in the tubes, I though there was a serious problem when i first saw that stuff lol. I still have terrible spasms, so am trying to rest alot before my trip to the castle tuesday.

Hope all my sisters are well and on to drier days

Jan
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register