Just found out I have a fistula - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Just found out I have a fistula Just found out I have a fistula

Unread 02-17-2003, 01:04 PM
Karen

Dear Karen I am new to this sight and I would have never thought that there was someone out there going through the same thing that im going through my doctor said that this is very rare but after my hysterectomy surgery and my sinus tract surgery I too have a vaginal fistula and my new doc wants to do surgery so girl keep your chin up when you cry we all cry and when you worry we all worry because we are one of many sisters who have gone through this and we have to be strong for the many who will follow. Karen stay strong and healthy.

Yours Truly

WHOA IS ME 33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Just found out I have a fistula

Hi Louise,

I am OK today- just real tired- went out to dinner last night with the kids and am now beat!! and guess what-?? it is snowing again- we must have 18+" or more- my poor DH is trying to shovel some of it before the plow guy comes- I don't even think he could find the driveway.. enough of this already..

I have been resting alot and that I think is part of my problem- I need to get my stamina back- have lost 10-15lbs. which I needed to anyway.. but am so tired. I force myself to get up and do little things.. anyway I am looking forward to finding the road I am to take on Thursday when I have my IVP.. have to run and cook dinner(with Help)

s
Karen
Unread 02-17-2003, 03:04 PM

Dear Whoa,

So glad you were able to fing our site and get some support from our sisters here..you sound like you have been there and back again and I hope you are feeling better and are getting all the medical help that you need..

there are other threads to look at so search for them and they will help you alot and we are here to support eachother thru the good and the bad.. I know I will be fine- it is the waiting that is the hardest part.. but I have gone almost 2 weeks already and hopefully by Thursday will know better what the future holds..

you take care and keep us posted and we are all in eachothers ers!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2003, 07:19 AM

Hi Ladies,

Hope all is well today with everyone..I am off for IVP tomorrow and cystogram and hopefully some answers as to the road I am to take..

4 weeks post-op today and feel good- if it was not fot this fistula I would be almost back to my old self..oh well one day at a time.. I am going to get out today for a little while and get some air.. it finally stopped snowing so maybe now we can let the sunshine in..

Everyone have a good day!!
Karen
Unread 02-22-2003, 11:23 AM

Karen,

How are you feeling today? How did your tests go?

Remember to take it one day at a time-things will get better and this fistula business is just a bump in the road-it will get better!

You are in my thoughts and prayers and I will be here if you need to talk!

Hugs,

Louise
Unread 02-22-2003, 04:05 PM

Hi Louise

How was Vegas?? I am so jealous..

Well had the IVP yesterday and they saw no leaks..!! I saw the films and still can't believe it!! went to see URO right after and he said it might be healing on its own!! which I was never expecting. I still have the cath and am not leaking at all- which by the way I thought was normal when you are catherized(to not leak at all)

So I have an appt on 3-3-03 for a cystogram- the dye test to check again for leaks and if there are none- he will take the cath out!! I can barely type this as I think that this will never heal without surgery.. but he says it is possible although very rare. And of course the radiologist said that sometimes the readings are not always true and you need further tests to find the fistula.. so I wait again.. the URO had a positive wait and see attitude so that is what I am doing..

trying to get my rest and still healing.. I get so tired.. went to grocery store yesterday and darn near passed out and my Dh was doing all the work.. anyway I am off to finish dinner- hope all my sisters are well and staying warm.. now we are having flooding rain on top of the snow- go figure!! Spring is here is 3 weeks..
s
Karen
Unread 02-23-2003, 09:53 AM

Karen,

Great news! It is possible for fistulas to heal on their own. MJ didn't have to have surgery (her fistula was in one of her ureters) so we are due to have a vf heal on it's own! I am praying that it heals and no more leaking for you and no surgery! Remember to rest and don't try and do to much, you only get one chance for it to heal on it's own!

Vegas was great-the weather was perfect, which was iffy this time of year.

I am trying to get myself ready to go back to work in a week-I can't believe it! I haven't worked since early September, I have become such a home-body, I won't know how to act around people. I am a little worried that I won't be able to keep up physically-but we'll see. This experience has definately changed my priorities, I hope I can keep focused on what is important (family, friends, health) and not get so wrapped up in work.

I am going to sign off my recovery thread this morning and focus on you and Sherry's recoveries now. If you need me, I'll be around, you can pm or e-mail anytime you want.

Lots of good wishes and hugs,

Louise
Unread 02-24-2003, 03:17 PM

Hi Louise,

Hope you are well today- I am well and getting around OK- the cath is really bothering me today- I just can't seem to get it in the right place, and then I was leaking around it before and I about lost my mind.. anyway called URO today to confirm my appt for next week and got some new girl who said I didn't have one and now the office is closed so I am taking care of that tomorrow asap.
Tomorrow is my sons bday too so I will try and cook him something nice- we will see.. well have to run dh need the computer..

Karen
Unread 02-25-2003, 09:45 AM

Morning, Karen!

How are you feeling this morning?

Sorry to hear the lovely cath is driving you nuts-I remember that feeling! I hated the foley the last 2 weeks I had it-I had terrible bladder spasms no matter what I did. I taped that sucker down so many places i didn't think it could budge, but it did! I know that's why I gained so much weight before my fistula repair-all I did was sit around afraid to move and ATE!

As far as it leaking, my drs said that COULD be a sign that the fistula is healing because the urine has no where else to go-hope that's what's happening in your case. When I had the cath, I wouldn't leak for days and then it would start again suddenly and freak me out-it was an awful roller coaster! I was so glad just to get the surgery, I couldn't stand it any more!

Are you able to sleep? Try and rest as much as you can-this is a very stressful time in your healing and it's important to not wear yourself out!

Hope your son has a great b-day. My dh's b-day is friday and I'm organizing a get-together to surprise him on thu night-hope I can pull it off!

You take care and remember you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Louise
Unread 02-28-2003, 05:30 PM

Hi Louise

I am still here- haven't been able to sit at the computer to much.. have been in alot of pain the last 2 days.. you know- terrible bladder spasms, a bad UTI infection which now have medicine for and feel much better and just basically feeling miserable!!

Have my cystogram on Monday and am praying for no leaks and to get this cath out- I think it has stretched to my ankles by now..just to get a definate answer will help me.. still real cold out but I got my hair cut and nails done today and do feel better.. have a hard time driving still- I feel like I am pulling on something, but it does feel good to get out- I have to go to NY tomorrow for dinner so pray I can at least sit thru the 1st course before I have to leave.. anyway my sitting time is up and I am off to bed.. hope things are well for you all and are getting ready for work.. that sounds good to me as I can't do much anyway.. have a great weekend and look forward to hearing from you!!

Karen
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register