Just found out I have a fistula - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Just found out I have a fistula Just found out I have a fistula

Unread 03-10-2003, 09:35 AM
Just found out I have a fistula

Hi Karen Have you checked out the Hormone Jungle forum on this site? The boards there make great reading when you're trying to gather information to help you make your decision; also the pull downs at www.hormonejungle.com can be very helpful.

Everyone is different as far as what works best for us. I am on the Vivelle dot (bio-identical estradiol) patch and compounded natural testosterone, and doing pretty well hormonally speaking. My own preference is for the bio-identicals because it seems to me that replacing the same thing my own ovaries were making would be safer/better than introducing something different, but some ladies do seem to feel much better on the synthetic/modified HRT's.

I'll look forward to seeing you over in the , OK?
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2003, 10:31 PM

Hi Karen!

Hope you're feeling better-sorry I haven't posted-been real [email protected] work.

You are in my thoughts and I'm sending lots of hugs your way!

Louise
Unread 03-12-2003, 03:53 PM

Hi Ladies

Well had pre-op today and we are all ready for next week.. Spoke with Anesthesiologist for a long time and I am bringing my CD player and will have a spinal!! YEAH!! I got sooo sick from general last time that it is scarier for me than the surgery(getting put to sleep)

Well now the waiting really begins- I actually am feeling pretty well except for the cath- just really want to put my jeans back on- and I got on the scale and lost 20 lbs. now just hope I can keep it off!! everyone take care!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2003, 06:15 PM

Karen,

Great news, u are going to be fixed up in no time!

Thinking of u girl!

Sherry xoxo
Unread 03-12-2003, 10:32 PM

(((Karen))) sounds like everything is working out exactly the way you want... yay!
You are an inspiration... I'll be waiting to hear how it goes when you get back!
s,
-Linda
Unread 03-17-2003, 10:09 AM

Hi Ladies

Thanks for all the well wishes on the other thread- I am just tying up things around the house and I am off tomorrow- I will try and post on Thursday.. I should be home by noon on Wednesday as long as it goes as planned..s to all of you and thanks sooo much for all the support!!

Unread 03-17-2003, 10:21 AM

Karen,

Best of luck tomorrow! I hope everything goes as planned and you'll be home before you know it!

What kind of music are you going to listen to during the surgery?

Lots of hugs and well wishes to you!

Louise
Unread 03-17-2003, 11:12 AM

Prayers and good wishes to you. Will be thinking of you.

Sherry xo
Unread 03-17-2003, 11:13 AM

Good Luck Karen,

I will be thinking of you tomorrow for a sucessful repair. I know how scared you must be. I sure was. I think it's normal to have fear when you are going through what we've been through. It's hard to "trust" again.

I am so grateful to have found this site. I only wish I knew about it before while I was going through all the stuff. Blood in urine bag....no explaination until AFTER the fact. It amazes me how little doctors and nurses tell you. I had to figure most of the things by myself.

I had my foley come out 2 times. I pushed to pee through my vagina....felt the desire to pee and out popped the foley! The first time it happened I was on the phone crying to the doctors office as to what to do. I finally was told to come to the ER because they weren't sure "urgent care" knew how to put a foley in. I spent ONLY 2 hours humiliated waiting to be re-catheterized. At the ER I finally was given "instructions" on how to care for a foley. I was SHOCKED that I had been catheterized for months (GYN originally put foley in) and had been to urologist many times and was NEVER given ANY instructions. I was thankful I had enough sense to use gloves and alcohol swabs to clean the site and to be as sterile as possible. When my foley came out the second time (2 days after the ER put it in) I thought how in the world is this foley coming out of my urethra??? It came out fully inflated. After I went back to the ER again to have it put back in. I talked to my GYN and she had my hubby and me come in and she taught hubby how to put cath in and gave me a foley that held 30cc's and even though it hurt to have that much saline inside me I didn't want the thing to fall out again. She gave me a sterile foley kit to have at home just in case it fell out again.
QUESTION???? Did that EVER happen to anyone??? In a period of 5 days I had a foley in and out of me 4 times. Can't be good.

What else....besides the blood which I finally was told that was normal to see inside the bag....after the fact, the fistula was trying to heal but because it was too big it would scab and break open and that is why there was blood. The first time I saw this I FREAKED! Would have been "nice" to know this was a normal thing.

Oh after the IVP my mouth was so dehydrated and sore. I went to see a GP in urgent care the day after my IVP because my mouth had a green film on it and hurt. I thought I had thrush....nope this doctor gave me about 5 min. of her time and diagnosed "dry tongue" and told me to drink water....which I was drinking tons of....FINALLY about 3 months later....my mouth was still never the "same" as before the IVP I mentioned to my urologist on the phone that my tongue still was bothering me and he gave me some stuff to swish in my mouth for THRUSH and my mouth and tongue got better immediately....

I'm writing all this because I wasn't here while this all was going on...and I want to help anyone who may be exeriencing the same things so they have a clue. Doctors don't tell you anything. You have to be PROactive and ask questions and research.

My urolgist JUST called me. I am supposed to start work on Wednesday and I'm afraid I'll leak...I won't have the stamina, etc. He said for me to take it easy and that I will. IF I can only last 4 hours at work (Haven't worked since Novemeber) then I will go home. I have learned through all this that my health and family are NUMBER ONE. Yeah we need money (I do income taxes too so it's ironic that I had my hsyt planned so I'd be well to work by Jan...hyst was Nov. 4th) as we are putting two daughters through college. I guess the point(s) that I'm trying to make is listen to your body....ask questions and I am soooo glad to have found you all.

What about sex??? I'm afraid?

Renee<in CA>
Unread 03-17-2003, 01:57 PM

HI Guys

Thanks for the kind thoughts!!

Sherry and Louise - thanks for all the great support- I am almost there!! I am going to listen to in OR I think the new Irish Tenors CD I got at their concert last year or maybe some Elvis- greatest hits.. I am not real sure yet- just know it will be loud as to drown out any noises!!

Pbpowner- hope you are well and do well at work next week- just remember to take at easy!! You have been thru the ringer it sounds like!!

I just called castle and don't have to be there until 11:30am and go into OR at 12:30.. a little bumbed I have to wait but I can keep the kids at home with me until tomorrow anyway. They told me I am booked for 2 nights and it will depend upon how I feel on Wednesday as to when I go home..castle is 45 min. from my house so might just stay till Thursday. We will see.

It is soo warm today- about 70 degrees I just want to go out and take a walk with the dog- but maybe in a couple of weeks.. hope all of you are doing and feeling well and getting your rest.

and s
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register