Just found out I have a fistula - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Just found out I have a fistula Just found out I have a fistula

Unread 03-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Hugs

Hi,
I'm so glad you are home. You are in my prayers. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Just found out I have a fistula

Karen,
Hope you're feeling better every day! I know the first few days are the worst-but it does get better!
Sounds like they did it vag, right? That is so much better-I am so glad for you. Soon you'll be up and able to take those walks. The supra is all I had too, and it is bothersome but they only leave it in for a couple of weeks(in almost all cases) They taped mine to my belly in the hospital but I found it lots more comfortable taped to my upper thigh (tube going down with a gentle curve to it)
I am glad your home and resting. Give us a post when you're ready, I know your energy needs to go towards getting better.
You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Hugs,
Louise
Unread 03-22-2003, 05:52 PM

Hi

Well thankgoodness am feeling better everyday!! Got home on Thursday and have been taking it easy since then..had a good time of it in the castle pretty much.. got the fistula fixed vaginally(Tuesday 1PM), although he almost couldn't find it cause it was so far up.. stayed awake with an epidural and I would highly recommend that for anyone.. was sort of awake in the beginning and then just went to sleep and woke up in recovery.. felt good after and stayed in castle for 2 days.. I have the supra for 3 weeks and it really doesn't bother me to much.. it is stitched to me as to not fall out and it doesn't hurt to much..and feels like nothing compared to the foley!!

Just trying to rest and get my strength back.. I still have some pain but am trying to get thru the day with just advil.. I want to thank everyone again for their good wishes and kind thoughts.. I thought of you all often when I needed strength and it made it much easier.. I hope everyone is feeling well and I will hop back in soon onto the threads when my behind will let me sit longer...

and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2003, 06:58 PM
Support

Hi,
I'm so glad you are feeling better every day! And, I'm very glad you have the supra instead of the foley - I struggled so much with it for more than three weeks and am now catheter free. I will pray you continue to have a speedy recovery.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 03-22-2003, 11:10 PM

Karen, happy that you are home. I hope that your recovery goes well. I am countin the days til my castle vist on the 1st. so I can be on the recovery road too!

Yeah for no pesky foley!

Hang in there , we are here for ya

Jan
Unread 03-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Greetings and well wishes to Karen and update on me with questions.

Karen,

So good to hear you are recovering well. I chose the general anesthesia way to repair my fistula. I had a bad experience with a spinal when my first daughter was born by c-sec. They put some meds in the anesthesia so I wouldn't vomit and it worked both times for the TAH and fistula repair.

Update on me. I started work on Wednesday. My back started killing me and I had a throbbing headache so I left early. My employers (they are new) seemed to understand. I told them I had to listen to my body and my body was telling me I had enough. I also worked Thurs, Friday & yesterday (tax season). I made it 7 hours each day except for yesterday and I left after 5.5 hours. I am off today (only day off now until the 15th) although I need to do my mom's taxes. Today I will get through the laundry with the help of hubby. Both kids are here from college so it's a bit crazy and messy. They are going back today.

I am going to walk today. Has anyone experienced this? I can't really describe my new(est) ailment, I'll do my best. When I am sitting at night resting and watching TV my legs feel like they have to move. I even have involuntary twitches. Then they ache like I have to massage them and move them. ANYONE experience anything like that. It's beginning to worry me. It's been going on since about 2 weeks post op from my fistula repair.
I haven't mentioned this to the doctor. Maybe it's just because I was sitting so much??? Any thoughts???

Well I'll check back later. Keep up the good recovery Karen and take it easy. I'm glad to hear you are not having problems with the supra cath. I hated it. I had both for two weeks and then only the supra for another two weeks. It's so good to be free from the cath. No leaks yet. I'm hoping for a good repair.

Take care sisters,
Renee
Unread 03-23-2003, 09:41 AM

Renee,

Sounds like RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). That is very common after surgery. I have the same feeling, especially at night. Usually, I have to get up and take an ativan. Eventually, it does get better.

Right now I am battling a UTI. I am leaking with it (not from fistula) but it is getting frustrating now. On my 4th day of 7 days of antibiotics. Hope it starts to kick in soon.

Great that you listen to your body. Take the time to get 100% better we have been through the mill.

Super to hear Karen's surgery was super successful.

When I get down, I think of all the sisters -- it really does help.

Take care,

Sherry xoxo
Unread 03-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Restless Leg Sydrome Questions

Thanks for the reply Sherry. What is ativan? Is that a pain killer or muscle relaxant???

I will do a check on RLS because I don't know anything about it. My kids are in town from college and we are taking them to lunch but I'll be back later. If anyone knows about this "syndrome" and IF it goes away and can reply I'd love more info.

Sorry about the UTI Sherry. I have one too but it's not too bad <yet> and I'm trying to get rid of it with liquids and cranberry juice. I am having bladder spasms still (almost 7 weeks post op from vaginal fisula repair done abdominally). Is that normal?
Also my incision (bikini cut...second time in 3 months as I had an abdominal hyst. too in Nov.) hurts still. I am starting to exercise when I can. I walk/jog....maybe I'm doing too much. Again I have lots of questions and if anyone has any advise I'd appreciate any input. I don't want to tear my fistula again. Doctor said it may come back. Does that happen frequently? He said that if when I return to him mid April and I haven't leaked yet I'm prob. going to be fixed for good although he said "I'm not out of the woods" yet. SCARED.

I'm working 6 days next weeks. I'll do my best to work as much as I can as it's "tax season" but I promised myself that IF I don't feel great I will go home early. Employers seem to understand.

Again to Karen....HOPE you have a good day and each day gets better. Thinking of you and all to continue to get better each and everyday or closer to the upcoming surgery for those who are still waiting.

Thanks all for the support. I so need it as do we all.
Talk to you all soon,
Renee
Unread 03-23-2003, 02:39 PM

Renee,

An ativan is a tranquilizer. As for the fistula returning, had my check up and vaginally all is well. Just scared about this UTI. Thought that I was finished with all the pads. On my 4th day of antibiotics and still having pressure like I have to go and then don't.

RLS - sometimes massaging them helps, they are like jumpy legs. I had them the odd time before surgery but more often now since the surgery. From what I've read it should stop between 3-6 months.

Going for a lie down, just don't know what to think about this leaking. Can a UTI be that bad?

Hope you have a great time with your kids.

Sherry xoxo
Unread 03-23-2003, 06:53 PM

Hi!

Karen, hope you're resting and drinking lots of water...

Renee, I am almost 10 weeks post repair and I still have an achey bladder when I am on my feet a long time! I get wierd pains in my vagina occassionally, and my belly swells at the end of long days at work. Most of the time I just notice these things when I've been at work 10-12 hours (I'm a retail store manager) and on my feet almost all the time. I went back to work at 61/2 weeks and at first I was so tired all the time, now I have started bike riding again, and I have more energy. My drs said that after 3 months, I am all good and shouldn't have to worry. I spend most of my time worrying about developing a prolapse of something-I need to stop worrying so much! I also find that if I don't drink lots of water, my bladder gets aggravated and spasms-nothing like before, but still a bother. My drs say all my aches are within the normal range and should improve or go away in time.

Sherry, hope you're feeling better. I know the uti is a bother-my sister had one for a long time till they got her on the right meds and she had leaking, too(she never had a fistula, or a hysterectomy for that matter!)Hang in there, my friend!

Hugs to you all!

Louise
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register