tears,tears | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-07-2003, 11:43 PM
tears,tears

Hello sisters.
I am now 6mos. post-op,and I feel okay now.I am not sure if its hormonal or what but sometimes,when I talk to my friends about the op,I find myself crying.
Sometimes,when late at night I think about the op,I start to cry.
Its not that I am crying because of the hyst.Its just that when I think about the pain Ive been through during the op,I cry.
My doc did the hyst. coz I lost about 16liters of blood during cs.During the whole operation which took 8hrs.,I woke up several times,and felt this terrible,terrible pain.I dont know which part of the op was painful,the cs,the hyst or the bladder repair,I just know that up to this day,the memory of that pain still brings tears to my eyes.
I am quite sure that I am okay.But isnt it a bit OA to still feel this way after six mos.Do I need help,or is this just the way my mind is coping up with what happened?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2003, 11:58 PM
tears,tears

Please do not feel as though you are abnormal, my gosh! You have been thru a lot and it is perfectly ok. If you feel as though it is interrupting your everyday activities then talk with your Dr. You do not say if you are taking hormones or anything but there are lots of options to help with the moods if need be. I hear it takes a long time, up to a year to sometimes feel your self again. Im 3 months post op and still do not feel my self but keep telling my self it will get better. Good luck to you!
Unread 02-08-2003, 01:52 AM
tears,tears

Hi auri I don't think it's unusual at all for someone who had as traumatic a time as you did during and after the surgery to still be feeling upset about it at six months post op. Plus you have just had twins right? Most of us here have just had to heal from the surgery, but you have also had to take care of infant twins at the same time. Wow! I am impressed!

I know you said before that you kept your ovaries... but you are breastfeeding, right? When you breastfeed, this suppresses your 'normal' cycles. That means that your hormone levels will be different than if you had just had a hyst and your ovaries were still working. I wonder if this could also be contributing to your teary spells?

What does your DR have to say about this? Have you had a discussion about the trouble you're having? If not, and if the language problem is what's making it difficult, is there a friend or family member you could take with you to help in the conversation... or another DR you feel more comfortable relating to?

I think I can relate to part of your experience in a very small way... I once woke up during a minor surgery when I was a child, only eight years old. It was nothing compared to what you went through, but I still remember it almost 40 years later. I think it's completely understandable that you would still be very shaken up six months after waking up in the middle of your surgery!

If the teary spells continue, then when you get a little further post op, or possibly when you're done breastfeeding, I'd investigate the possibility of seeing a therapist about dealing with the trauma you experienced during your surgery.

I'm so glad you came to us!

-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register