Post-Op Reports - Fallopian Tube Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op Reports - Fallopian Tube Cancer Post-Op Reports - Fallopian Tube Cancer

Unread 02-08-2003, 05:43 PM
Post-Op Reports - Fallopian Tube Cancer

I had a BSO and staging for Fallopian Tube Cancer on 1-28-03. It seems that I have stumped the docs. My ovaries had cancer cells on the outside, not the inside. Therefore, they are not the primary source. Both right and left sides of the abdominal cavity were "washed" and that also showed new cancer cells. The pelvic cavity, including the new scar tissue from LAVH on 1-2-03 also showed new growth. None of these were tumors or considered to be the primary source. So, since I switched hospitals, the current hospital is requesting all remains from the LAVH to re-examine. If this doesn't show anything, they will consider that the new cells were "spilled" from the tumor that was found in the left fallopian tube after the LAVH.

The treatment, however, will be the same as ovarian. I will start chemo of Taxol and Carboplatin in about 2 weeks. My DH is beside himself with worry, as is my Dad. I'm OK...this is what I was prepared for. So...I guess I'll be getting a new "hairdo"!

Thanks for all the prayers from everyone...this website is wonderful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2003, 06:39 PM

(((Linda)))

Thanks for the update on your situation. How crazy all of this seems! It sounds as if they have been very, very thorough with this, and that you are in good hands. I hope your chemo goes well and that you have very minimal side effects. Please come by and let us know how you are getting along.

Sometimes I think cancer is harder on the loved ones who are standing by watching than it is on the person with the cancer (in some ways). It's hard to know that there is nothing you can do but watch and be there and pray.

Good luck, Linda. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and 'ers.

Unread 02-08-2003, 07:54 PM

s Linda

I am glad to read that your second surgery is safely behing you and you are getting prepared for the treatment.
There are a few of us posting here that have received taxol and carboplatin for our chemos. And as always, we are here to encourage you onward.
My gyn onc told me before chemo started that: My anticipation of chemo would be worse than the reality. For me this really held true. Not quite a walk in the park, but ohhh sooo doable.
On the three week cycle, most of us have lost our hair before treatment number two. I was prepared with a wig that I wore one time. Some of the ladies love their wigs. I was a hat-cap person. When my hair started it's freefall on day fifteen, I shaved my head. And once it was gone, I realized I had already grieved for it. Nausea was pretty much kept away for me by the antinausea drug called zofran. After treatments I had to drink lots of decaf liquids for four days. Constipation was problem due to chemo and zofran and steroids. We all find our way through this, but senokot as stool softener worked great for me.
Will you be having an infusa port inserted for chemo or will they just start an arm IV for your treatments?
Your attitude sounds fantastic and once your hubby realizes you can do this fairly well, he too will relax a bit.
We are always here for you. Keep in touch.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2003, 08:51 PM

{{Linda}}

I'm so glad that they are taking such good care of you and sounds like it was a darn good thing they went back in to do the staging.

I had the Taxol/Carbo for my first round as well and I'll second what Karenann said, while it wasn't necessarily pleasant all the time, I had a much easier time than I had anticipated. They gave me several different meds to take the day of treatment and for a few days after each. I took Kytril, Zofran and at night only Ativan. They did a great job for me as well but again as Karen mentioned, they can cause constipation, MOM worked well for me there.

I was one that did the wig route, I went shortly before it started falling out and matched my own hair fairly well at that point. Once into it I found a way to get affordable wigs so ended up with several. As it turned out, it was a good thing I did that but it put a bit of fun in the midst of things.

I hope that your treatments go well and you'll have minimal side effects. One thing about food during the treatments, alot of people DO experience taste changes, especially with the Taxol, you may end up craving things that aren't you're normal.

Sending you lots of {{Hugs}} and prayers for you and your family.

{{Hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 03-08-2004, 05:36 PM
for Quiltcrazy44

It seems that you and I have the same kind of cancer and also the same stage. Our kind of cancer is very rare. I will be starting Chemotherapy probably next week. I have appointment with a 3rd oncologist this week.

How is your treatment going? What prognosis did they give you?

Hugs for you!
Unread 03-08-2004, 05:46 PM

I am sorry that you have to go through this again. Hopefully, the chemo will get the cells this time for good!!!
Unread 03-08-2004, 06:49 PM

Linda,

Sorry that you are having to deal with this--but it sounds like you've gotten good workups and hopefully the chemo will rout out any remaining cancer cells without too much wear and tear on you!

Once your DH sees that you are coping well with it, he'll be able to relax.

You're being kept in thought and prayer.
Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 03-08-2004, 11:34 PM

Uh, ladies, : I think the original post was in 2003 -- (((Linda))), you've been dancing with NED awhile, haven't you?

LilyLulu: You're right, in that fallopian tube cancer is rare -- and it sounds like it's not so easy to diagnose! But as you've no doubt found by now, Linda has done very well with her treatment. I hope you join her in dancing with NED ("No Evident Disease") very soon!

Audrey
Unread 03-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Thank You!!!!!!!!

I so appreciate your post to me. This group is awesome. I went to some of the additional sites mostly to figure out what things mean after the posts. i.e. LAVH, BSO. You told me what NED means. Thank you. It all looks like greek to me. LOL. I had no success with the sites to find out the definitions. However I was able to find that my type of cancer is very aggressive. I guess that is why it spread so quickly.

I originally missed that Quiltcrazy's post was in 2003. When I researched it again to day I realized that. She did answer my email to her for which I am grateful.

Hugs!!!!!!!!!
Unread 03-09-2004, 01:18 AM

If you look in this thread: Helpful Hints and Trish's Pathology Dictionary, Trish's post contains a glossary for the alphabet soup that is the shorthand around here! It is confusing, isn't it? I'm a medical person, and I occasionally still have to look up some of the more esoteric sstuff .

I'm glad Linda was able to respond to you; since this is so rare, it's good to have a couple of sisters to share with!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register