Anyone heard of surgical "cuff" abscess? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone heard of surgical "cuff" abscess? Anyone heard of surgical "cuff" abscess?

Unread 02-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Anyone heard of surgical "cuff" abscess?

Hi Everyone
I had a TAH on Jan 15th, and went back to the hospital (via paramedics) on the 18th with severe pain and high fever.
I was there for another week on IV antibiotics for a surgical "cuff" abscess.
I was told it was caused by bleeding that occurred right at the junction of the cervix and the uterus when the doc made the cut to remove the uterus.
The blood pooled and formed an abscess.
Anyway, I am having a slow recovery, and wanted to get in touch with anyone who might have gone thru this.
Now I am dealing with either Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Diverticulosis either from another abscess or all the antibiotics they put in me.
Anyone been down this road?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2003, 11:19 PM

Hi sweetie sorry things aren't going so smoothly for you at this point. I didn't have an abscess or IBS but I had diverticulitis after my hyst and now I have it again.

Diverticulosis is just pockets that form in the wall of your colon. It's thought to be caused by pressure from straining to have a bowel movement because of constipation. Often the constipation is due to a low fiber diet, but in my case it was due to a severe uterine prolapse. Lots and lots of people have diverticulosis and most of them never have any symptoms.

However, if the diverticulae (pockets) get infected it's called diverticulitis. Typical symptoms of diverticulitis are severe lower left sided abdominal pains and cycling fevers. If it's not treated in time the colon can develop perforations which lead to peritonitis. That happened to me last year.

The treatment involves heavy antibiotics to kill the infection. You can't get rid of the diverticulae without surgery. If the infection recurs, the walls of the pockets get thinner each time, and surgery is usually done to remove the bad section of colon before it ruptures.

When I was diagnosed with diverticulitis it took a while because I was newly post hyst and the DRs first thought I had an abscess, a hematoma or maybe something had been nicked during the surgery. Any of those things can cause the type of pains and infection I was having.

My diverticulitis was diagnosed with a CT scan with extra contrast. I later had a colonoscopy and a barium enema to determine exactly how bad the situation was in my colon. I also had an ultrasound but nothing showed up in that - I mean literally nothing, at times the screen was totally blank. The tech was mystified and thought maybe it wasn't working until I told him I'd had a TVH/BSO so there wasn't much to see in there!

I hope this info helps... There are ladies here who've had abscesses and who have IBS and I'm sure some of them will be along, too.
s,
-Linda
Unread 02-09-2003, 05:15 AM

I"m one that has had a cuff abscess....Twice. I know the pain you've been feeling and can relate well.

I to had to go to the castle for 10 days...they put a drain called a perctuneous drain in as mine had gotten so bad. It took them almost 9 weeks to believe I even had pain.

You must be very careful while letting this heal...rest with feet up sweetie is a big thing....let the anit's do their work. I was told by two med professionals that this is something that can come back if we don't give it time to heal. Liftiing while you have this is NOT a good thing.

If there are any questions I can answer I'll sure try to help!!! It really does help sometimes to know we aren't the only ones that have had a complication of this kind. It does take a while to heal so try not to become frustrated with your own body. Something like this can set your recovery back by a few weeks.

We'er here for you sweetie!!!! Let us know what we can do to help you thru it....

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2003, 07:40 AM
thanks

How nice it is to have found this site yesterday!

What you described is EXACTLY how I feel with the left side pain and everything. I see the doc on Tuesday. I believe that I did have symptoms of diverticulosis prior to surgery, and this has just made it worse.

I was wandering what type of pain meds worked well. I am taking Vicodin, but the doc is worried it is constipating me. The pain from all this is ten times worse than before the surgery. I've been thinking I would rather have lived with the bleeding pain from the fibroids.......
Unread 02-09-2003, 12:28 PM

Pain meds are a very individual thing... you're right, Vicodin is constipating. Plus it doesn't work all that well for me unless I take 2 of the big ones every 3 hours. I take toradol for the pain but only sparingly.

You're right, that diverticulitis pain is something else.... I told my DR it's the closest thing to labor pains I've had, much worst than any of the pain from my hyst. But fortunately it only lasts a couple of days if you get the antibiotics in there quickly.

Do you know what tests the DR will be doing to find out for sure whether it's diverticulitis, an abscess, IBS or something else?

Hopefully (((Dawn))) and others will be along with some other pain med suggestions too.

Hang in there!
s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register