Going the Alternative Route | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going the Alternative Route Going the Alternative Route

Unread 02-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Going the Alternative Route

It's been a while since I've been here, webtv won't connect right over here at my mother's place where I've been staying to recover. It's nice to be back with my sisters.

Well, if y'all can remember, I was given the surprise news that I had cervial cancer the day after my hyst. It was quite upsetting, as I'm sure you all understand from your own experiences. I had been seriously ill from continual blood loss (hemorrhaging) for 8 agonizing months, lost 25lbs in 2 months & almost died 4 times. When I finally got the hyst I was SO looking forward to getting well again that when the doctor came & told me they found cancer & that it was invasive I just fell apart. Instead of finally being healthy & strong again, visions of chemo & radiation effects flooded my head. I cried & cried & cried.

When I got home I cried some more & then got to the business of educating myself about invasive cervical cancer & the chemo/radiation I would soon face. Needless to say, after days of reading that till my eyes hurt I just cried more. What awful things to endure, and the long term effects were even worse! Sure, not every woman suffered them but I was so weak & unhealthy from all the illness for 8 months, it would get me for sure.

I braced myself for the worst pathology report ever as I met with the oncologist who explained it bit by bit & was really very helpful, kind and suprisingly honest. He told me only a microscopic piece of tumor was "probably" left in a nerve passage (whew!) & that there were no tests that could prove it was actually there but that he recommended chemo & radiation, as was the norm, just in case, but then afterward there would likewise be no tests to show that any malignant cells were killed. Then, to top it off he says that if later in life I developed a tumor somewhere there would be no real treatment open to me as my body will have taken all it could with these treatments. So after listening to him explain this to me, tell me all about the awful immediate and long term side effects of chemo/radiation, I'm sitting there scratching my head going "Ok...WHY am I doing this to myself???"

Well, what options did I have open to me now that I decided I would not inflict more pain & illness, suffering and ailments on myself? I chose health! After all, health was what I was looking forward to, and I believe in the healing power of the body if given what it needs. I also have an overwhelming belief in God & that He was directing the events that led me to this hyst, I would put my trust in Him & let God's natural process heal me.

I will write another post explaining the course I'm taking tomorrow. My web connection is about to go down & I'd hate to lose such a long post to a disconnect.

Hope you'll all come back to learn about the exciting things I found out.

Noelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2003, 07:23 AM

Your next option is actually to get a second opinion. I would never make a life and death decision with only one opinion to go on.
Unread 02-09-2003, 08:19 AM

Amen to that Trish!!!

{{Noelle}}

I hope you DO get a second opinion, this is just too important.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2003, 08:41 AM

s Noelle

I am curiously awaiting to read about the path you have chosen.
I also went and read all your previous postings. What concerns me the most is that you appeared to be pretty depressed even before your diagnosis.
I just hope that the path you have chosen is not too closely related to your sad feelings.
A second opinion might definitely bring different options to a standard treatment.
All the best to you!!

karenann
Unread 02-09-2003, 09:39 AM

Actually ladies, I had a second opinon, and a third when I was taken by the oncologist immediately next door to the chemo doctor who spent nearly another hour reading my pathology report to me and basically saying the same things to me as the oncologist & my Gyn. Also had a cat scan & x-rays which thankfully shows no other masses, so this isn't a snap decision, I'm not being irresponsible. Also I am a voracious reader/researcher so I know quite a bit from that reading concerning treatments, both standard & alternative. My mother attended all meetings with the doctors & she said to me "They just repeated everything you already told us."

As far as my depression goes, facing your mortality does miraculous things to change a person's outlook. Amazingly I found out that deep pain & and unwillingness to forgive can cause cancers to grow & deep pain & and unwillingness to forgive (teen daughter & older sister) were exactly what I'd been absorbed in for a year. Since being told I had cancer I have let that go, forgiven, and it's truly freed my spirit & mended our relationship. So don't be thinking depression has made me blind. I'm a smart cookie.

I'll be back later to finish my post.

Noelle
Unread 05-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Alternative route

I'm glad that you're deciding not to do the traditional chem/radiation therapy. I agree that it can be destructive especially to an already weakened immune system.
I too decided not to go that route and am having good success with my nutritional approach. I had Stage III uterine cancer, hysterectomy on August 23rd, 2002. Doctors recommended immediate treatment but couldn't tell me if it would help or not. They only gave me a 30% chance of living 5 years IF I had the chemo & rads. I believe our bodies are self-healing if we give them the proper nutrients, most of us are nutritionally deficient from our standard american diets that are mostly fats and simple sugars. It's a radical change but one I can LIVE with.
Be encouraged, you have a good chance of beating it if you're disciplined in your nutritional treatment. And with prayer, nothing is impossible.

You can email me anytime if you'd like to chat further <admin snip of email address for security/safety--please use email button below>.

Blessings to ya,
Nancy
Unread 05-23-2003, 03:57 PM

Dear Noelle,

I am sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with cervical cancer but delighted to learn about the positive re-appraisal of your life you have managed to glean from this situation.

I have just recieved my pathology report after surgery and learned that I had a very rare and fast-growing but benign ovarian tumour. I was told that I had a 25% to 30% chance of it being ovarian cancer. Having been through the report with my doctor sister and a couple of doctor friends plus my G.P. I now realise that the histologist (and it was referred to the head honcho because of its rarity) was frankly puzzled not to find cancer, because of various factors that were present. Many people - family, friends and sisters on this board - were praying for me, and I have an intense feeling about the power of prayer at the moment. I believe I was delivered from cancer at least partly by the power of prayer. I think the mind and its relationship with God or a "higher power" is immensely important in the healing of illness.

I also believe nutrition is important. It is now a recognised factor in the causation of some cancers, so it would seem counter-intuitive to dismiss its importance in treatment. I have a friend whose tumour (thyroid) has shrunk through nutritional treatment alone.

However, I also think that modern Western medicine can sometimes be very effective and can be viewed as a gift. A clear example would be chemotherapy in the treatment of childhood leukaemia which has a high success rate. You are right to consider your own case carefully on its merits though, as the outcomes for chemo and radiation do vary tremendously depending on what cancer you have, its stage, etc.

There are women on this board who trust their doctors implicitly who are doing very well, others who are combining some aspects of conventional treatment but following many alternative routes as well who are also thriving. It would be very interesting to hear from someone who is going down the alternative route exclusively.

We are all such unique individuals, that I wonder whether any of us really approach illness in exactly the same way as anyone else. Maybe the most important thing is to trust the whole of yourself, not just your rational mind but your instinctive self as well, in deciding on your treatment plan, then put yourself behind it 110%.

This is a very interesting topic!
Unread 05-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Reading and researching

I am behind you all the way. I have been reading and reasearching ever since I have been told that I may have fibroids which subsequently turn out to be Ovarian Cancer. I would love to trade ideas/ book recommendations with you. Take care, Joanna
Unread 05-24-2003, 07:20 AM
great

Hi, I would be very interested in what your alternative route is. I too have been diagnosed with cancer(ovarian) but not had the pathology reports yet. I have just started a macrobiotic diet and am being treated by a homeopath. And I have a great group of friends that help me with my spiritual and mental side.
Hope to hear about you soon.
Unread 05-24-2003, 02:03 PM

Hi Alybar, I'm on "Gerson therapy," raw veggie & fruit juicing, juicing, juicing. My diet has changed considerably from loads of garbage to nothing but raw foods & no meat... except for an occasional Filet-O-Fish when I have no will-power at McDonalds, lol. I follow the advice of Gary Null in diet and take suppliments to strengthen. Good luck and good health to you! And don't be scared!

Noelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register