cat behavior | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-09-2003, 03:34 PM
cat behavior

Hi sisters,
How is everyone.
Well I'm here for advice.
My Shane, who is a pretty boy Tabby is becoming nasty sometimes. He is a year old now and has discovered how to bite and scratch when he doesn't want to be held.
He will come and sit on my lap and let me know, it's time for me to pet him. He is an adoreable cat and so beautiful, I love him to death. He is 100% spoiled.
Is this nastiness common with cats. I never had this behavior with my other cat.
Looking forward to your input ladies.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Overstimulation

Cats will sometimes lash out, biting and scratching when they become overstimulated from petting and being held. One of my 4 tabby cats, Lizzie Borden got that name from liking to bite the hand that feeds her. You can see "that look" come over her and it's just best to back off and let her be. I'll even let Lizzie just have a chomp on my arm, it's never hard enough to break the skin, but its just enough for her to break that tension that builds up from being touched too much. Since your cat can't verbally say "That's too much", he has to tell you the only way he knows how.
Hope thats some help.
Unread 02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
cat behavior

You have to figure out some type of punishment for the cat that doesn't involve just putting the cat down, which is what he wants. Stand up, picking him up in a football hold, to where he can't scratch or bite, then giving him the clear message that you are THE BOSS, might work. But you have to do it consistently and make sure the only time you do that is when he does this type of behavior.

We have a pi**y cat, as we call her.. she is declawed (rescue, we didn't do it to her) and she will pat you half to death when she gets overstimulated. I think it is a pretty natural reaction for cats to turn on you when they have had more than enough petting or if they are held longer than they want to be held. But they really should be taught that this isn't acceptable and the only reaction they will get from you when they do it is to have bad stuff happen than what they want, which is to get away.

Also.. when you are petting him, watch for the cues. If his tail starts going, his ears go back or flatten out, his pupils dilate or his eyes get that wild look; it may be time to push him off of your lap, before he gets to the pi**y part. If you can learn his cues, you will avoid most of the nastiness he may dish out. And hopefully, he will realize that all he has to do is leave, rather than scratch or bite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2003, 10:44 AM
hormonally challenge kitty

My spade female cat Jazzy, is the queen of mean. If she is in her mood you can't even walk by her without her attacking your ankles. she has also just started doing weird things like sitting looking at her tail then chasing it in circles, I knew dogs did this but not cats. She also will be walking along and the just stop and scratch at the floor, Has she gone completly wacko? hormones or prozac?
Unread 03-02-2003, 01:02 PM
cat behavior

Hi

I have 3 kitties in my family and have had at least two at all times in my life since the day I was born. I find every single one to be so different from the last. I agree that some cats just get overstimulated. Some can tolerate petting not holding. Some only light petting on the head and behind the ears. Some find the back and base of the tail too sensitive,the tummy is an invitation to play. I would watch your kitties clues and let him decide what is right for him, About that kitty who attacks when you are just walking near him,definate aggression and I would tread carefully around him. Enjoy your kitties and their quirky personalities.
Unread 03-02-2003, 01:25 PM
cat behavior

Hello everyone,

Thankyou all so very much for the suggestions and your stories.

Cats are very special and very intelligent and know when they want to play or not. I have found this out.

God Bless you and your pets.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register