Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst? Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst?

Unread 02-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Need Info

I need to hear from any one that caused a hysterectomy to ruin their sex life and if they found a solution?
Is it true that irreversible nerve damage can be done? Remember, this was 22 years ago.
Thanks in Advance.
hug_ger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Nerve damage

Hi

I've seen your post and was kind of hoping somebody would come along and give you an answer, because I'm sure no expert.

However, it is my understanding that permanent nerve damage is possible from any surgery. It doesn't usually happen, but there is always that possibility. Small nerves do get cut and there is no way to predict what will happen to them later. Usually things repair themselves. If a larger nerve was cut, which it shouldn't be, then the damage can be more serious.

It sounds like you have had a long term problem and would like to find a solution to it. I would suggest to you that nothing is impossible. Dealing with a problem of long standing may be more difficult, may take more time, but there are usually a variety of avenues to try. Especially when it comes to sex! You may or may not find a way to make fireworks, but I would think with patience and understanding you can certainly find ways to have enjoyable sex for you and/or your partner.

Joselle
Unread 02-10-2003, 09:23 AM
Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst?

Hi !

I'm sorry that you are having problems after such a long time I have suspected nerve damage & am going to have an EMG done soon to find out for sure. I do have pain in the "sex dept" but dont know if its nerve related or adhesion related.
There are a couple others here who have nerve damage from they're hysts, I'm sure they will be along soon.
I wish I knew what to tell you - you really should consult your Dr. about this. Your Dr. can steer you in the right direction. I go to pain management - it has literally saved my sanity.
I hope things get better for you soon
We are always here for you - whether you just have a question or you just need to vent.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2003, 09:32 AM

I find your question most interesting, have you investigated all the other issues that could be causing sexual problems??

Hormone issues can definitely play a huge role in your sexuality, without getting too personal, you didn't state what issues you where having.... No libido, problems with orgasms etc. dryness. If you do a look up on the Hormone jungle you can see where some of these are side effects of missing hormones etc. Also, you will find some remedies ladies have used to help with certain issues, etc.

I would think nerve damage would be low on the list for causing sexual problems, probably not impossible though.

What has your DR said about the issue? If he isn't helping-you might want to find one who does. If discussing your sex life isn't a comfortable arena with your current doc maybe you can try and find one you can talk too-some ladies prefer other lady docs.

Whatever your case dear, sex is a vital part of our lives and there are so many remedies out there for ladies who are having problems...Your DR is definitely who you need to discuss this issue in detail with. So life can go on if you know what I mean

Lots of s,
DLK
Unread 02-10-2003, 11:39 AM

I've been told that I have nerve damage. The iliongual (sp?) nerves to be exact. The nerve damage hasn't affected the sexual areas, other than the pain is so great that I don't do it very often. I also have other pain issues and it's hard to know which pain is coming from what area.

Has the doctor told you that you have nerve damage? DLK makes some excellent suggestions about the hormones. There's some more information about hormones in the pull down menus at www.hormonejungle.com

Unread 02-10-2003, 07:03 PM

Hi girls, I wamt to thank you for your responses.
Thanks to Kim M, DLK, Susanj, & Joselle.
I wrote an earlier post & lost it so I will try to learn how to do all this before I write a long one. OK?
Unread 02-11-2003, 07:38 AM

these blasted computers sometimes can be tricky things.

Just a couple of tips(please don't be offended if you are a proficient user just some suggestions on what might be up)

1. Make sure you are not hitting the enter button on your keyboard before you have finished typing your post.
2. Once you submit your reply, you will also want to wait for the posting to make it through. Some computers can take a while to process at this point and disconnecting could possible lose the info you are trying to send.
3. Also, if you get disconnected during trying to post, the post will more than likely be lost so if your internet connection drops off suddenly that could result in lost post too.

Enough on pc's, they can be such a help and such a hassle all at the same time a lot like some of the people I know

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doings,
DLK
Unread 02-11-2003, 10:46 AM
Posting

I have high speed Internet and I frequently have problems posting here. I have learned to copy my message - part way through if I'm making a long post or get interrupted - because if all of a sudden I'm told I'm not logged on I lose the whole thing. This way I just log in again and start over again but now I can paste what I've already written. Another way to do it, of course, would be to type the message offline and paste it in the box when you go back to the board.

Perhaps this has nothing to do with the problems you are having. But it's sure frustrating ME!

Joselle
Unread 02-11-2003, 01:14 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Thanks girls,

I know you are wondering how I could go on this long, & it hasn't been easy. There have been many a tear shed. I just thank my husband of 35 years. God Bless him.

Yes, I have seen several Drs. including GYN to Phyciatrist. Each had a working solution. Every thing from harmone to thyroid, to seretonin problems. Oh how many times we let our hopes get so high only to be dissapointed again. One M.D. said, "Unfortunatly this just happens to some women". Well, how can it go from something so heavenly to nothing?

I am not up on the latest things that can be done, that is why I am here. Is there a test, now, to check all the harmone levels?

The problem is getting to the edge of the orgasm and it doesn't come. My husband has lost interest because I can't have one. We have tried all approaches and it is the same result.
It is not because I can't have more children (like some have suggested) because I have my children. I had a tubal in '66 because I was through with baby carriage, I just wanted a play pen. LOL Although I am about 60 does not mean I am not still looking for a solution. I will never give up.

I don't talk to Drs. anymore due to disappointment. It certainly isn't because I am uncomfortable doing so. They just don't hear well.

I am afraid I'm a little to old for this group. You guys are so young. I wish I could have had you 22 years ago. Do you know any of us that have had my problem? If so, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Thanks in advance & Hugs to you all.
Unread 02-11-2003, 10:48 PM

Hi there - I have been told that the severe constipation I have had since 2 months post hyst is symptomatically like the constipation persons with spinal injuries suffer. I'm not sure if this is of value to you, but the technical term that is used is enteric neuropathy, intestinal nerve dysfunction. I haven't seen the word damage as much as decline. (whatever that means) Perhaps these terms and references may help you with an internet search for pelvic nerve problems especially after surgery. Please post and let us know how you are doing, puzzling problems can be frustrating, I hope you find some help for it.

Good Luck!
Diane

P.S. to Hug-ger - I fully understand your feelings about docs, there are very few that listen at all to their patients,. If you do find one, they usually can't help. I think it contributes to the high cost of care, repeat visits to tell them the same thing over and over again. AAARRRGGGHH!!! I found if you find one doc that really listens, befriend them and beg for help finding a doc who CAN help. Can really save that sinking feeling of diappointment that seems to follow most dr appts these days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register