Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst? Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst?

Unread 02-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst?

Hi hug_ger I hope you don't feel like we think you're too old for this group... we have all ages here! From 19 to - well I'm not sure but I remember chatting with a lady who was 70 a couple of weeks ago here. Hysterectomies and the issues that follow them come in all ages, shapes and sizes! You've managed to find us, and that's half the battle right there.

I'm wondering about what you said about getting to the edge of orgasm and then it doesn't happen. I hope I'm not being too personal here, but that means you can get aroused correct? Is it only with physical stimulation, or do you have an active libido - I mean, an interest in sex before you start having it?

I'm understanding from your last post that you haven't had your hormone levels tested ever, right? That's OK... many ladies haven't. And even if we do, we get back results where they tell us that 'normal' levels are those that would give us no sex drive at all anyway, as if that's 'normal' for a menopausal woman. Heck, sex begins at menopause, or at least it ought to! No more worries about birth control or pregnancy, taking away all that stress should free us up to have some of the best sex of our lives. And yet the hormone levels drop off to where we're not interested or can't respond anymore. How fair is that?

There are DRs out there who are knowledgeable about hormones and willing to help. Some of us are lucky and have found them; others are still looking. One way to find one, if you wish, is to ask a compounding pharmacist what DRs in your area prescribe through them.

Compounding pharmacists make up prescriptions the old fashioned way... mixing them themselves, no brand name drug company preparations. Natural hormones for the most part are dispensed that way. The pharmacists themselves tend to know quite a bit about hormones and hormone tests. If you pick a time that isn't too busy and just walk into a compounding pharmacy and ask to talk with the pharmacist, it's more than likely you will come out with lots of information and hope, too. If you don't know where a compounding pharmacist is in your town, you can either ask your regular pharmacist where one is (they tend to know) or you can go to this site: www.iacprx.org . They have an on line pharmacy locator that can find one for you.

So, if you find yourself a compounding pharmacist, that will be someone who knows about hormones, and since their business is making up prescriptions for hormones they will know what DRs in your area are knowledgeable enough to be prescribing them. Then you can make yourself an appointment with one and see what can be done. You are not too old to have a healthy sex life. I have a very good friend who is 66 now and was just remarried a few years ago, and she and her new hubby have a very active sex life! (with some help from her DR (and his ).

I do hope you will take the suggestion of some of the other ladies here and visit the Hormone Jungle forum, www.hormonejungle.com; and also the No-Hormone Desert Oasis forum. There have been great discussions in both places recently about low sex drive and how it can affect our relationships.

You say that your DH is losing interest because you can't orgasm. Are you 100% sure that is the reason? Men experience a drop in their hormone levels too, and maybe it could be that his drive isn't what it used to be either? That's OK, you two can work on it together. You are blessed with a solid 35 year marriage... that is a wonderful thing.

I hope that you will stay with us and join in some of the other discussions around here ... and that you are able to find a DR who will listen and understand.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2003, 09:09 AM
Can there be irreversible nerve damage from a hyst?

I am so glad you posted back hug ger, : for a 35 year marriage, what a wonderful thing. I am so happy you found us because I believe with some of the information these dear ladies have given you, you can get your sex life back (no matter what the age) I want to be chasing my husband around the house forever so I think it is perfectly natural you would feel the same way.

The fact that you stated you almost get to your orgasm is encouraging because a lot of us ladies have stated the fact that it does seem to take longer to get there. You didn't say if that is a recent situation or not but if it is then you sound like you are sooooo close. Between getting your hormones in check(which is a reasonable/possible cause) and maybe some more experimenting with techniques you can get there. I found that for a while I was having a harder time because I was getting frustrated and would give up probably right before for all I know. Your DH sounds very understanding and Surferbabe made a great suggestion to the fact that maybe his levels are decreasing his interest also. Could be a combination of both for him?
Also, (IMHO) you definitely want to reconnect with a good doc that will listen when you say I want to have a great sex life, can you help or not?? if not, move on girl, there is one out there that will listen!

Other ideas maybe you have tried or not?- not putting so much pressure on yourself to have an orgasm but enjoy each part of the intimacy of being together and fulfilling some of your DH's pleasure while you're at it. Another suggestion (I hope this isn't too personal) is to maybe try working on an orgasm without penetration to develop techniques that are specific for your needs(sorry if too graphic). There are lots of books out now on techniques that are great for ideas on how to do this. Of course some of them are a little too graphic for me, but I have found some that are very informative without it too.

Keep us posted, I am praying you will have great success with each step of the way.

BTW: I have found that some of my most wonderful moments with my husband were not when I had the best "O"(and sometimes no "O") but was when I felt complete by just being with him. Please understand I am not minimizing orgasms because it IS very fulfilling for both but that is the icing on the cake in my book!!

Happy day to all,
DLK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register