How to stock pantry and fridge?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How to stock pantry and fridge?? How to stock pantry and fridge??

Unread 02-10-2003, 07:58 AM
How to stock pantry and fridge??

I was wondering what types of juices and food should I stock up on before my surgery?? I am two weeks pre-op and want to get that taken care of.
Any suggestions would be wonderful!!

Thank you!
Holli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2003, 08:07 AM

A few days before my surgery I made the dreaded trip to Wal-Mart (can't stand it) and did my "stocking up". I had no idea what I would feel like eating, so I bought some pudding cups (tapioca, chocolate, lemon) and crackers (like wheat thins, triscuits, etc) and soups. I knew I would be on my own for most of the time during my recovery and I was trying to get things that I could grab in a hurry, that would not require much in the way of preparation. Funny how walking to the kitchen and opening a box of crackers can tire you out. Anyway, I really haven't eaten anything that I bought. In hindsight I think Yogurt would have been a good idea. Mostly I just don't eat lunch because I am not hungry at all. Breakfast is also more often than not skipped. My DH has been harping on it, so I force down a small bowl of cereal when he insists. Anyway, it would be good to get some high fiber things, such as cereals, oatmeal, and fruits. The thing that I bought that I have used is juice, I bought 4 bottles of juice (white grape, apple, carrot, cranberry). I have been very glad to have those and am running low now, so DH will have to get some more soon.
Unread 02-10-2003, 08:17 AM

Hi there!

Prior to my surgery I made some meals ahead of time to put in the freezer so I could just microwave them. Ready to eat soups, Lean Cuisine frozen meals, yogurt, applesauce, pudding, and saltine crackers came in handy too. To avoid constipation I ate raisins, bran cereals, oatmeal, and drank hot tea. The "P" foods can help too - peaches, pears, plums, prunes. Avoid bananas and cheese if you have BM troubles. The carbonation in soda can make gas worse too so I would dilute mine with a little water. Drink plenty of fluids!

After your surgery be sure to come and visit us in the Post-op Forum and let us know how you are doing! Take care!

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2003, 08:19 AM

I stocked yogurts (supposed to be good for yeast infections), del monte mandarin orange cups (wound up being my FAVORITE item), lots of bottled waters because I could keep those by the bed and couch and not have to worry about getting up to refill or have someone refill for me (water was the only drink that tasted good to me those first 2 weeks), frozen popcicles (GREAT after a hot flash), little applesauce cups, bread for toast, ritz crackers and soups.

That first week all those little things went down good on my stomach, when I didn't have much of an appetite. Once I got my appetite back I had prepared and froze a lot of meals that my hubby could just pop in the oven or in a skillet and heat up. He is an excellent cook and did his own creations on the weekends, but during the week when he was working they were VERY convenient to have when he got home - he could heat up a meal for the both of us in no time flat!

I am at the end of week 5, starting week 6 on Wendesday and I feel GREAT!!! This was the best thing I have ever done, and wish I did it sooner!! The post-surgery pain even at the worst that first week was NOTHING compared to the pre-surgery pain I was feeling!! I am back at work full time now, and have more energy than ever!! Don't worry and good luck to you, it will all go GREAT!!!
Unread 02-10-2003, 08:26 AM

Stock up well. I went shopping the day before my surgery. I couldn't drive for three weeks and even now at 4 weeks post-op have a no heavy lifting ban, so unless DH takes me I have no way to get a huge amount of groceries. I do get small things like milk, bread, juice and a few other things. With a family of 5 the cupboards are getting bare now since I haven't really shopped in a month. I loved to have easy to prepare frozen meals for myself, especially the first two weeks. Decaf tea and honey and lemon juice in hot water is a good drink and not dehydrating. I loved juice diluted with water. Needed lots of juice. I preferred soft foods the first week home like they fed my at the hospital, it's easier to digest which is important when your bowels are adjusting. Things like pudding, fruit juice bars, soup, jello, and such. I needed gatorade after a dehydration ER visit 1 week post-op. Just some ideas for you and good luck on your castle day.
Unread 02-10-2003, 09:24 AM

Hi Holli, everything that has been mentioned is good. Cottage cheese seemed to soothe my tummy. I also ate a lot of sherbet, mashed potatoes,and soups.
My sis, who is a nurse, said that drinking through a straw causes extra gas, so I avoided that. Remember that lots of fluids really helps.
Best wishes - S
Unread 02-10-2003, 10:20 AM

Sounds like you've already gotten lots of great suggestions. One thing I would like to add is think about the size/weight of the containers everything is in. You may want to put out some things in smaller bowls or cups with lids that will be easier for you to pick up and ask the family to use what's in the larger ones. I was surprised at how heavy a gallon of milk felt, so my mom poured some in one of those Tupperware cups with a lid one day so that I could help myself to pouring it in my coffee when no one else was home to do the lifting.

S,
Pam
Unread 02-10-2003, 12:40 PM
WOW! Thank you!

Thank you all so much. This makes planning much easier for me. The people from my church are getting together to prepare meals for my family for the first three weeks. Someone will bring something every other night. Also, I plan to make things and freeze them as well. I told people that my main concern was my DH and DS as far as eating. I will probably be eating a lot of soups and such. If I know that they are taken care of, I won't worry as much.
Thank you all for the information, it is very helpful. I will let you know when I am home from the castle. Hope everything goes well.

Unread 02-10-2003, 05:07 PM

You've gotten great advice. I've found the individual servings of applesauce (got the good stuff -- organic peach/apple and apple/cinnamon) and pudding very handy. Also, soup-in-a-box or plastic bottle. I have individual servings of pot roast frozen, but have been careful to eat only things that are easy to digest or full of fiber, in small amounts, during this first week. The red meat can wait!

I was ready for post-op constipation (and post-travel constipation in my mom, who came to take care of me), with Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, licorice, and fruit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register