White blood count "very low" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

White blood count "very low" White blood count "very low"

Unread 02-10-2003, 12:51 PM
White blood count "very low"

I just got a call from my dr's office, and my nurse told me that my white blood cell count is very low, and my dr. wants me to take another test. I go see him tomorrow anyway, so they are scheduling me for some bloodwork tomorrow also.

Just wanting to know, what does this mean? Does this mean, if it continues to be low, that they will stop my chemo therapy. I only had one treatment and my next one is scheduled for next week, so I'm kind of freakin out about this white cell blood count.

thanks for any info.. you wonderful ladies can share with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2003, 01:02 PM

Hi Tammy

Low white blood and red blood counts often happen with chemo. Low reds cause anemia and low white counts make you very susceptible to infection. It's very stay away frm sick people and was hands often wit anti bacterial soap when white counts are low. When my white count was low I had to have neupogen shots for a week to raise them. these hot stimulate your bone mrrow to produce more cells. My son gave me the shots at home and my whitecounts went back up. A shot called procrit can be given if re count is too low or somtimes a blood transfusion is given instead. I f counts are too low chemo has to be postponed, until they are back up. So far te shots have worked and my chemos hve been on schedule. When isyour next chemo?
Unread 02-10-2003, 01:07 PM
My next chemo..

..is scheduled next Wednesday. I guess I will find out tomorrow it that will happen. I still have to have outpatient surgery to have my port installed, I just assumed that would happen this week. My dr.s schedule is usually do all surgeries on Fridays & Saturdays, so I guessed I would have the port in on Friday, so I can use it on Wednesday.

But, like I said, I will find out tomorrow for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2003, 02:05 PM

My White Cells fall to their lowest level ( called nadir) 2 weeks after chemo. I just had my blood work this AM ( today is 2 weeks after chemo) and my WBC is 1.1 and my neutrophils are 500. This is also very low. When your wbc's are low, you are a high risk for infection. wbc's especially neutraphils figh infection. Keep away from crowds, shopping malls, etc, keep away from small children, and wash your hands frequently.

My blood counts have always been up to acceptable levels by the next week for chemo. Hopefully yours will too. Just beware of infection risk.

You can do a web search on Neutrapenia for more information.

Good Luck

Ruth S
Unread 02-10-2003, 02:45 PM
White Cells

You've gotten some excellent advice here. Perhaps Neupogen will boost the whites. If they're low, the port surgery may need to be postponed. Here's what happened to me after my first round of carboplatin in August. I went back in three weeks and the whites were too low to proceed. I cried. I went back at four weeks and they were very borderline. I more than cried. To keep me from quitting chemo, I think, the doctor lowered the dose slightly and got authorization for Neupogen, given in the clinic or hospital, and said I had to come back in three days for a CBC. I did. Those white cells ROSE! He had me come back in four more days. Those white cells ROSE again! He had me back in seven days. Those white cells ROSE again! You just don't know--but do avoid crowds, people with illness, raw fruit and vegetable, water flowers have been in, hit the Purell or Germ=X, and let the Dr. decide about what to do and when.
Unread 02-10-2003, 05:46 PM

s Tammy

You've gotten some great advice above!!! I just love this forum.
Don't be surprised if your counts rebound in time for next weeks chemo.
I was like Ruth, with my lowest counts being two weeks after.
And I always rebounded in time.
Keep in touch.

karenann
Unread 02-10-2003, 05:52 PM

Hi Tammy

Do not go into a panic. Low white blood count is normal after chemo. I remember, 7 to 10 days after the treatment i had to go and have a blood test. yes, at that time my count was lower but by the time i was to have the next chemo, it was up. Just be careful when it is low. get lots of rest and if you get a fever you need to call your doc.

Hope all works out well

Rosalie
Unread 02-10-2003, 08:32 PM

{{Tammy}}

The gals have given you excellent information. I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow and your counts are back up.

Let us know how your appointment goes. We'll be sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 02-11-2003, 06:32 AM

I just finished my 3rd treatment w/ Taxotere/Carboplatin. When I went in this time
the onc nurse said my white blood cells were slightly below normal. My reds had
started to drop.

So, I was started on Aranesp to boost my red cells (only once every 3 weeks). Neulasta was
given to boost white blood cell count (given 24-72 hrs after chemo and every
3 wks).

I will have to see how much they have helped my counts when I go to Doc in
one week.

Cindi M
Unread 02-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Had my Dr's apt...

he said I was fine, and scheduled my next chemo treatment for next Wednesday. I also have out-patient surgery on Monday to put in my port. He gave me a prescription for iron. He also said that my tumor has shrunk some, I said WooHoo that means my chemo is working right? He told me not to get too excited, lets see what the next treatments look like.

I don't care, I'm still excited, and I'm SURE it is the chemo working. I just know that after these treatments I can say bye bye to this cancer once and for all..

I didn't loose any hair yet either. I knew that would happen, since I already bought a wig, and some hats and stuff to be prepared. My 4 yr old daughter was waiting also, everyday after I told her I wouldn't have hair anymore she would come home from daycare and pull my hair and ask if it was a wig yet?

Anyway, we'll see how the next treatment goes, hopefully it will be uneventful and nothing like the first one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register