New here... my intro - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here... my intro New here... my intro

Unread 02-10-2003, 07:43 PM
New here... my intro

{{Meredith}}

I'm so glad you're seeing a Gyn/Oncologist and that they'll be the one performing the surgery. We'll all be praying that the enlarged ovary and CA125 is elevated due to a benign condition.

I know its scary but its so very true, even with everything going on, nothing is EVER certain until pathology is performed. The information you'll find out on the internet, while helpful is also very, ummm "statistic" oriented thus making it very terrifying. But what I found from all the reading I've done on this in the last couple of years, alot of the information is terribly outdated.

I know its hard but as the other gals said, take one step at a time. You're on the right track by seeing the Gyn Onc, he'll be able to give you alot more information on your particular situation.

Best to you and please let us know how things go at your appointment.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Viking Girl

What you said is so true, "All the info on the internet is scary. Do yourself a favor - try not to read it until you know what you have." Very good advice.

I have ductal carcinoma in situ. I know enough about it. Ocassionally I do a search on the web when I know I shouldn't. I start reading and get scared and anxious -- and then get out of the web site fast. It's always a mistake.

Mary D.
Unread 02-15-2003, 11:03 PM
New here... my intro

Mere:

I had a CA-125 of 200, with a mass that was large, complex, and suspicious. It turned out to be a huge endometrioma...six months later, my CA-125 was 7.

I, too, saw that quote, but took it to mean that 13% of all conditions yielded a high CA-125, and were non-malignant. That's rather than saying "if 13% of all elevated CA-125 levels are non-malignant, then 67% of them must be malignant." Also, it's a study that is now over five years old (they're usually nearly a year old before publication) -- much has occurred since then, including to some degree the "debunking" of the sensitivity and specificity of the CA-125 to diagnose cancer. It's OK as a screening tool, and to follow therapies, but there are many conditions (especially in someone with endo, such as yourself) that will elevate the CA-125.

I hope this helps. My levels really got my attention, until we spoke with several experts (co-workers of my DH) who said that, with a history of endo especially, that an elevated CA-125 was to be expected, even.

Good luck! I'm only now seeing that your surgery was yesterday, so by now you know, but I still want this information out for the next sister with a high count!

and we'll look for you on the Post-Op side soon!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register