returning to exercise | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

returning to exercise returning to exercise

Unread 02-11-2003, 04:32 AM
returning to exercise

Hi, this is my first post. I want to thank each and every one of you out there--I've spent hours on this site reading about your experiences, and it's so helpful. I'm scheduled for a TAH in one week (February 18). I had several weeks notice for this surgery, and I'm glad, because it has allowed me plenty of time to get my "head straight" and do as much preparation as possible. There would never be enough time to do it all, but at least I did get the Christmas decorations down and leave things at work as caught up as possible!

My question today is this: for those of you who were participating in a regular exercise program before surgery, how long before you were able to return to it? I've done aerobics classes at least 2 or 3 times a week for 18 years. It's one of the few things that I do to take time for myself. I'm concerned about ever getting back to my routine. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2003, 04:47 AM
returning to exercise

Exercise? What's that then? I'd take advise from your exercise class teacher - but I'd say certainly not for at least 6 weeks post op - your teacher should be able to tell you what is safe when you start up again I should think. And remember to check with your doctor
Unread 02-11-2003, 04:52 AM
returning to exercise

Hi nancy sue,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I'm glad that you found HS, that you've been reading and learning what to expect, and very glad that you posted to introduce yourself.

I'm sorry that I can't personally answer your question about exercise, except to say that each of us heals at our own rate, depending on the type of surgery that we have, our over-all health going into surgery, and whether we have any unexpected complications later. You'll want to be sure to ask your doctor when he/she feels it's safe to resume your aerobics.

But, did you know that we have a fitness forum? Click here for Hysteritaville. You might want to read some of the threads in that forum, if you haven't already found it.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for a successful and uneventful surgery and recovery.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2003, 05:35 AM
returning to exercise

I went back to my gym at 7 weeks post-op, with my doc's ok. Some gals are ready then and some aren't. The important thing to remember when you go back is that you did just have MAJOR surgery and it will take a while to get back the energy and stamina you felt in your classes before. (I had also been working out several times a week for about 12 years before my hyst). When I first started going back to my gym after my surgery (I did step-aerobics then..........I'm more into weight-lifting now Body Pump classes) I did not go as many days per week as I did before my surgery, for the first few weeks I was back at the gym..........I gradually worked my way back up to my old schedule of 4 to 6 exercise classes per week. And don't be surprised if the first time you go back to your aerobic class it totally drains you and you go home and take a nap. That is totally normal.
Here's a link to a great site to check out that is really helpful about starting back to exercise after surgery:

http://hysteritaville.com/fitness/

Best of luck to you --
Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 02-11-2003, 08:04 AM
exercise...

I just had my surgery, a LAVH, on 2/3 and when I see my Dr next week for the 2 week follow up, I am going to ask if I can WALK (not run at all) on a slow treadmill...since so many of my friends are at the Gym (I, too do Body Pump and will miss that for the next half dozen weeks), it would just be more fun for me than walking up and down the street.

I am doing so well, that I need to get out and around. I am already driving 1 week after (short distances, of course) and feel about 95% back to normal.

I also am already missing my Pilates classes, so that is another thing I have to wait to do.

Obviously, we are all different and should listen to our bodies and our Drs!

Have a great day!
Laura
Unread 02-11-2003, 10:17 AM
exercise

I was like you, exercising 3 to 4 times per week for years. I had my TVH 1/9/03 and began walking 2 weeks post op, but I was tired. Yesterday, now 5 weeks post op, I started back to my exercise class, but took it easy, beleive me, you will not want to jump around right away, but listen to your body. And in all that waiting to get back into exercising, not a pound was gained or my muscle tone lost.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register