Incredibly helpful preparation for surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incredibly helpful preparation for surgery Incredibly helpful preparation for surgery

Unread 02-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Incredibly helpful preparation for surgery

I had my surgery (TAH-BSO) 6 days ago and am recovering amazingly quickly and easily thanks in large part to a friend suggesting I read Peggy Huddleston's wonderful book "Prepare for Surgery - Heal Faster" I read the book, listened to the relaxation and preparation tape once or twice a day for 2 weeks prior to surgery, and followed all the suggestions. I went home the day after surgery, didn't need pain meds after the second day at home, and feel remarkably well now. I still have some minor discomfort, especially getting up and down, and coughing is misery, but I'm in much better shape than I expected to be at this point. I'm 55 and post menopause, so I'm not dealing with hormone changes, but I don't have the healing power of youth. I can't recommend this book and tape strongly enough to anyone facing any surgery. It can be accessed at www.healfaster.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Recovering well also....

I had my TAH on 2/4/03 and I'm feeling great. I credit my fairly easy recovery (so far) on the preparation I did before the surgery also. For the 3 months prior to surgery I made staying healthy for the surgery my number 1 priority. I made sure I got plenty of sleep, ate healthy meals, kept my weight down, drank plenty of water, exercised regualrly and allowed myself relaxing moments with low lights, soothing music and a fire in the fireplace to calm myself.

I was discharged on 2/7/03 and on 2/8/03 I started the first Walking off the Pounds video. I did it using only the leg movements and at a very moderate level but it sure beat walking laps in my living room! I take a nap every day when I think I need it but other than that I am up taking care of myself -- nothing strenuous, just sitting on the couch and preparing light meals from the freezer. But, I'm feeling great. I think that sometimes anxiety comes from feeling like we don't have control but we need to take responsibility and control of our own health in any way possible. I'm a firm believer that our pre-op care can be just as important as our post-op care!
Unread 02-12-2003, 05:42 PM

Welcome Home, Barb, and Welcome to Hyster Sisters!!

I noticed that this is your first post, and just wanted to be sure that you knew where to find the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles, our Post-Op Hysterectomy Support Forum and our Chat Room

I'm glad you are home and feeling well. That sounds like a terrific book - thanks for bringing it here.

Hi Pam,

I'm glad you're feeling so well this early in your recovery. Please be sure not to over-do things, and continue to get as much as possible so your good recovery will continue.

Let the Pampering Begin!!

(((hugs)))

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2003, 05:48 PM

Hi, Glad to hear you're doing so well, I hope that can be me too! Can you tell me a little about the process and perhaps I will try to get the tape. My surgery is 3/3/03 and I'm a nervous wreck!
Help, help, Thank you.
Sandi
Unread 02-12-2003, 06:30 PM

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the welcome. I have looked around the site. I didn't register till today, but I spent some time before surgery going over the site and getting lots of helpful information. I went to my appointment with my surgeon armed with several printouts of questions to ask from Hyster Sisters. I also found the suggestion to have a small pillow with me to press against the incision when I cough and to use under the seatbelt on the way home extremely helpful. I'm sure I used other ideas, too, but don't remember them specifically. I found Hyster Sisters very helpful and wanted to share my own information with others. Thanks for providing the opportunity

Barb
Unread 02-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Hi Sandi,

The book provided a lot of useful information about how to relax and boost your immune system to encourage healing. She also cited many studies proving that prayer and positive thoughts can be sent to people who need them and really makes a difference in their healing. In addition, there were instructions for how friends and loved ones could help by channeling their positive energies to you.

I wasn't sure of it all before , but I figured there was no downside in trying it and my doctors agreed with me. I had my surgery at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston and they're pretty progressive on mind-body connections.

Now that I'm recovering so well, I am a firm believer that this approach really helps. Nobody can believe how good I feel so soon. Now I just have to remember to take it easy long enough to finish the healing process. (Coughing is a pretty good reminder.)

The book and tape are not very expensive (about $25 for both plus shipping) You can get more information and order if you want at www.healfaster.com
Unread 02-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Hi again, Sandi,

After reading your note again, I wanted to add that at first I was rather anxious and not sleeping well, but after I started relaxing with the meditation tape, I returned to getting full nights of sleep and felt a lot more calm.

The tape has two sides, one with just voice and one with voice and soothing sounds. (Personally I found the soothing sounds irritating and used the voice only side.) It takes about 20 minutes. You can do it sitting or lying down. The voice takes you through a process of relaxing your body, visualizing your healing process, and visualizing yourself completely healed. I plan to keep using it to work on strengthening my lungs and my osteoporotic bones.

Good luck to you. The waiting is worse than the surgery itself.
Unread 02-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Right on Bambt

I totally agree with your approach to surgery. While I did not think to look for a book like yours before surgery, I made note of all the people I knew who had had surgery, and how they recovered. The positive & healthy ones breezed thru, while the others were laden with complications.. I took good care of myself both mentally & physically and my surgery was a breeze...
I can't emphasize this enough to our pre-op sisters.. Be informed, be positive, and be as healthy as possible, and you will be amazed how quickly you recover !!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register