Keeping the Cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping the Cervix? Keeping the Cervix?

Unread 02-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Keeping the Cervix?

Does keeping the cervix - improve sex???????Would love to hear from those of you who have opted to keep and those who opted to have cervix removed.

Sex is great now - no pain, no problems. So I am not one of those who will benefit from better sex after the hysterectomy.

However I would like to have a vaginal hysterectomy, and because of the position of one of my many fibroids, it may be difficult to do the surgery vaginally and keep the cervix.

I am also having orvaries removed and my Doc says that if I keep the cervix, I will need to go on hormones to avoid endometrial build up.

As there is no research to help in my decision, I would like to hear some personal experiences. Thanks so much for your time and help.

Kitty2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2003, 03:07 PM
Keeping the Cervix?

Kitty,

I had everything removed and sex is at least as good as it was before. (I did not have symptoms that interfered with sex before surgery, either.)

Best wishes to you in your decision!
Unread 02-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Keeping the Cervix?

Kitty, I had it all removed also. I had heard many stories of women later having to go back in and have it removed. And I was afraid it would hinder my sex life but hasn't in the least. It was great to begin with, but it's even better now. And cervical cancer is something that still has to be checked at annual checkups. So, since I didn't need it I agreed to take it too. I talked at length with my dr about and he assured me that he had no complaints of past patients. So I would say go for it, but talk it over more with your dr. and be at peace with your decision. Goodluck and will be praying for you. Blessings in Christ, Mikki Jo
PS. Since he is taking out both ovaries is he not recommending HRT anyway? I am 40 now, 39 at time of surgery and I was put on a hormone patch before they even brought me out of surgery. A big and big 's to you. I will keep you in my prayers. --MikKi Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2003, 06:27 AM
Keeping the Cervix?

I dont have my cervix and cant tell...LOL
Now I had pain prior to surgery due to endometriosis. So therefore after surgery and after doc giving the green light for sex, I found that it was more pleasurable, but i am sure it was due to no pain.
Many women have diff ideas on this subject- All i can tell you is I dont miss mine.
runabout
lynne
Unread 02-14-2003, 07:51 AM
Keeping the Cervix?

I have read that if you have a vaginal hysterectomy keeping the cervix is not an option because the uterus can't just be pulled through the "coat button sized" cervix.

I had a TVH, kept my ovaries, and sex is much better. I have heard that endometriosis or adeno can extend down into the cervix. Also if you keep the cervix and at least one ovary there is a chance of mini periods. I see you are having your ovaries removed. My dr. wanted to avoid the extra cutting with a lap procedure and try the vaginal approach. I was glad to be able to have the vaginal hysterectomy that removed the cervix and there was no risk of mini periods or having to stay on hormones. Are you saying that you would you not have to take hormones if the cervix was taken?

Even if the cervix is taken it is still advisable to continue getting yearly paps due to a small chance of vaginal cancer. I know of two people close to me that have died from metastatic vaginal cancer. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Unread 02-14-2003, 08:23 AM
keeping the cervix

I've recently had a sub-total hysterectomy and BSO. Sub-total or supracervical means they left the cervix in. I opted for this because there is some research out there that says that sex is better if it remains. Try searching Medline. I found an NYU Cornell study as well as some foreign studies. My doctor agreed to do it but said I had to be diligent about annual pap smears. His concern about leaving it was the risk of cervical cancer.

Aside from the sexual concerns, the other reasons that I opted for sub-total are because it seems that healing time is faster and that there is less risk of prolapse and bladder problems down the road. I've always been very active and I didn't want to have to give up on activities like running and horseback riding because of prolapse or incontinence; even if its only temporary.

Since I only had my surgery on 1/8/03, I can't give you any personal input on the sex issue. I'm taking 1mg of estrace which I'm tolerating well. (We had briefly tried Premarin--I had headaches, sour stomache, night sweats.) Everyone is different--hard to tell what will work ahead of time. I wish I had had my hormonal levels tested ahead of time. Dr thinks that still I need more hormones but I had severe endometriosis and he doesn't want to increase dose at this time. Right now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best-- another couple weeks before I'll know for sure.

Feel free to E-mail me at [email protected] if you need help with the research or anything else.

Best of luck.

Barbara
Unread 02-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Keeping the Cervix?

I don't have my cervix and if my doctor hadn't told me, I wouldn't even notice! I have heard that HRT can cause you to have mini-periods if you keep the cervix but don't take my word on it - it's only hearsay... I think the hormone issue involved with keeping it or not might be related to the kind of hormones your doctor would recommend, estrogen alone vs. estrogen with a progesterone to prevent endometrial buildup. You may want to post over in the Hormone Jungle, there are some amazingly knowledgeable women there.
Good luck with your decision.
Leslie
Unread 02-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Keeping the Cervix?

Sorry, but (unless there have been major advances made recently) with a totally vaginal hyst there is no way to keep the cervix.

This is the way my DR explained the cervix to me: it is not a separate organ; it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support. My experience with sex is it is the same without the cervix as it was with it.

I'm a little confused:
  Quote:
I am also having ovaries removed and my Doc says that if I keep the cervix, I will need to go on hormones to avoid endometrial build up.
I'm not questioning your DR, but I've never heard this before.
Unread 02-14-2003, 02:45 PM
My cervix stayed....

By no choice of mine though. I had told my doc I wanted EVERYTHING gone and found out afterward that my cervix is adhesed to my bladder (from tubal & gall bladder surgeries).

I had no pain/problems with sex prior so I can't compare with or without.

I am just AMAZED at how my quality of life changed after my hysterectomy - I am such a happier, better person (and my family is thankful LOL)

Good luck with your research & your upcoming surgery!

God bless
Unread 02-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Keeping the Cervix?

My cervix is gone and sex is better and more intense than before my surgery. Had no idea that was even possible. I'm very happy and so is DH. I don't have to worry about mini-periods (kept my ovaries) or cervical cancer. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register