suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting

Unread 01-12-2003, 09:41 AM
suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting

I did some research about cervical cancer before my dr.even knew for sure I had any, and what upsets me is that everything I read said the cause of cervical cancer is multiple sex partners.
this annoys me, as I have been a faithfull wife for 23 years!
I am not in the date and sex scene, which is what is suggested. why is that the only answer that these scientists have??? you mean to tell me that the few men I dated befor I got married, ruined my cervix gave me cancer and 24 years later I paid for my foolish fornication? Or should I suspect the two or three women my hubby was with before me, gave him something and it stayed dormant on him for all these years?
any one else have any othe explanations? and now that little cancer cells have no where to attatch themselves will they be floating around looking for something else to attatch to?
tamleeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2003, 12:13 PM

It is my understanding that it only takes one person to be the carrier of HPV( a form of the genital warts virus). My GYN/ONC explained to me that 80% of those who have HPV do not develop cervical cancer from it. Their bodies are able to shed the bad cells.

I believe that having multiple partners may be the reason for some, but not for all.

When I found out I had cervical cancer, I looked back at my life and questioned everything I did wrong. In my case, I didn't go to the doctor for yearly check ups like I should have. My GYN/ONC told me not to dwell on things I couldn't change, but to focus on getting better.

I am thankful for all of the wonderful, understanding women on this website. They have made it easier to deal with this terrible diagnosis.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers,
Patricia
Unread 01-12-2003, 01:41 PM

Like you, I was upset when I was informed that HPV is the predominant cause of cervical cancer. I also looked back on my life (been the faithful wife of 17 years). Guess it only takes one person and one time. It's amazing that the HPV virus strain affects women only, in terms of cervical cancer, but it does not create any problem with men (not that I want it to).

My doctor also told me not to dwell on the cause and that the majority of people have HPV in their system (guess that's why they have already developed a vaccine to erradicate this) and my lowered immune system let these abnormal cells take over. When I saw news of a vaccine and that it would be available in about five years, I was very happy that my daughter, age 8, will be protected from this virus.

My teenage son has a report for health due, and the topic he was given was genital warts (another strain of HPV is the culprit for those). Unfortunately, my son has knowledge what HPV viruses can do, watching me go through surgery and recovery. Since my surgery, it seems, there has been a lot in the news about cervical cancer and what causes it. My husband and I were very upfront with him, so he heard it from us first instead of gossip or secondhand. I can only hope that he adheres to the strong message that condom use is essential for today's young people and hope that cervical cancer is erradicated with the implementation of the new vaccine that is to come.

Be positive. I could not change my current circumstance, and I was not alone going through this, and I was moving forward with my life after taking care of those bad cancer cells.

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2003, 01:44 PM

(((Ladies)))

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I first read about HPV being blamed for most cervical cancers. That was two years ago when there was very little publicity about it. I actually saw it mentioned in a TV drama recently.

I was never tested for it but assume I have it. At the time the theory for not testing was that the dysplasia is there and it will be treated in the same way regardless. My DH of 25 years was my only sexual partner, but I didn't marry a virgin and he never had any visible signs.

I don't like it when they say "multiple partners" is a risk factor but obviously the more you have the higher the risk. If you have had 2 partners you have twice the risk.......assuming they're right about sexual activity being the only risk as some seem to believe now. Patricia made a good point. It's believed that the good majority of our population carry the virus but it doesn't always result in cervical problems.

We do have to be followed with regular paps to watch for the rare occurance of vaginal problems. There are others on this board with good knowledge of this subject and expect they'll be along with their thoughts.

's
Unread 01-12-2003, 02:44 PM

My husband's ex-girlfriend is to blame for my cervical cancer. She told him that she had a virus that was sexually transmitted, but it wasn't life threatening.. She never gave him a name, but that was right before she gave him Chlamydia! He had that treated, but never realized that he had become a carrier of HPV. He never told me it was possible that he had an STD because he just didn't know. And apparently it is a virulent strain. Three years after we started dating, just months after we got married, I had my first abnormal pap ever. My follow-up pap and biopsy (via colposcopy) were clear. Two years later, I had another abnormal pap and was told that I had CIN3. When I had the laser biopsy done, the path report came back cancerous, but with clear margins. We opted to wait and see what happened, my viral paps have all been clear (2 1/2 years worth of paps done every 4 months). I am sure that if I keep my cervix, it will be back. I already had most of my cervix removed, but live in fear and can't wait to have my hyster and get it over with. I know the virus will still be there, but at least there will be less for it to grab onto!

It is a shame that this virus hides in the worst ways and comes out when you least expect it. Almost none of the women I have ever met who had HPV were the type to sleep around.. but their husbands/SOs could name the person they most likely got it from. I know that's not the case all of the time, but over the past three years, I have talked a lot with women who have the virus and it's an amazing amount of them who can say where it came from.

I also have high hopes for the new vaccine. I about jumped for joy when I heard of it! I told my boys, who are teens, all about the causes and how they can be carriers and never know it. I really hope that their future girlfriends/wives never have to worry about this particular STD.
Unread 01-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Condoms offer little or no protection against HPV

Quote:
Originally posted by Gail from MA
I can only hope that he adheres to the strong message that condom use is essential for today's young people
ladies!!

Gail, just a sidenote here: Condoms DO NOT prevent the transmission of HPV.

http://www.frc.org/get/is99f1.cfm

---snip---
Why Don’t Condoms Stop the Spread of HPV?

Human papillomavirus differs from other STDs in its method of transmission; it is not spread from one person to another through the exchange of bodily fluids. Rather, it spreads through skin-to-skin contact. Since HPV is a regional, multicentric disease, it infects the entire genital area: the penis, scrotum, vulva and surrounding areas. Condoms do not cover the scrotum, nor most of the other areas that can be infected with the virus. There also tends to be contact between the anogenital skin of the partners before a condom can be correctly placed on the penis. "No known effective barrier exists that will protect the vulva or prevent vulvar transfer of the virus," according to Barbara S. Apgar, M.D., M.S., clinical associate professor of family practice, University of Michigan Medical School.20 Adds Mary E. Verdon, M.D., of the American Academy of Family Physicians, "In the 1970s, it was demonstrated that a single sexual contact with a person infected with external genital warts carries about a 60 percent chance of transmission."21 However, there are several different strains of HPV that do not cause genital warts; therefore, transmission can occur without the presence of any visible symptoms. These strains are more likely to be cancerous.

----end snip---

I have endless other websites with similar info for any of you who are interested. I, like most of the rest of you, was floored at the thought of an STD reeking this type of havoc on my body and life.

HPV is not just a "nasty girl's" disease, or a disease limited to those "easy girls". THIS IS EVERYONE'S VIRUS! It does not discriminate. It crosses ethnic barriers, religious barriers, and even economic barriers, so don't let anyone make you feel dirty, or attach a stigma to you for contracting or carrying this virus!

Huge s to you all....

Paula
========
CIN III/CIS
LEEP 12/30
Unread 01-12-2003, 03:49 PM

Paula,

Thanks for that info....I did not know that. I would be interested in the other websites. I just never stop learning here!

Gail
Unread 01-12-2003, 04:45 PM
Condoms and HPV information

Quote:
Originally posted by Gail from MA

I would be interested in the other websites.
Lots of women are not aware of this information, which makes them feel that "if only I would have practiced 'safe sex' this wouldn't have happened to me". This just feeds the stigma that all STDs are contracted because you didn't take proper precautions. Don't feel guilty or dirty, Ladies....statistics show that 99.7% of all cervical cancer/dysplasia is caused from the Human Papilloma Virus. Almost 80% of the adult population carries the virus, but only a very small number of them ever have problems from it, so most never even know they are infected.....and therefore pass it to others unknowingly.

When other, more 'sanctimonious' folks try looking down their nose at you because "you have HPV"....if they have the same problems as you, more likely than not...they have it, too. Don't let them tell you that they don't have it "because I use protection...EVERYTIME" because that is NO guarantee!

Here are the links to some of the websites for more information:

http://www.reproline.jhu.edu/english.../cxca_hpv1.htm

http://www.iwf.org/news/000615.shtml

http://www.prn.org/prn_nb_cntnt/cap12-13-2002.04.htm

http://report.kff.org/archive/repro/...kr010605.2.htm

http://www.kaisernetwork.org/aids/19...h990923.2.html

http://www.physiciansforlife.org/condoms.STDs.htm

http://www.ivillagehealth.com/news/c...552938,00.html

More big s to all you great gals!!

Paula
==========
CIN III/CIS
LEEP 12/30/02
Unread 01-12-2003, 05:16 PM

It's quite a kick in the stomach, isn't it? Well, at least we all have a lot of company.

Other statistics to consider (I can't vouch for the accuracy/validity of the studies, but this is what I've read):

Of women having their first sexual encounter, 10% will contract HPV during that first sexual encounter.

It is estimated that as many as 3% of the population may be infected from birth.

And actually, HPV does affect men. There is a small occurence of penile cancer, and it does appear to have a link to HPV. There is also some suspicion that there is a link between prostate cancer and HPV.

I don't know where mine came from, and I guess it really doesn't matter. But I spent months beating myself up over it before I realized that I just can't go back. so, I try to stay focused on staying healthy--eating well, sleeping well, taking my vitamins, doing my yoga. All of these things are known to increase your immune response and we need to have these immune systems up and running 110%!

Oh, and as an aside. During the months I've been reading about HPV, lots of info also came up on HSV-2 (genital herpes). It is estimated that 20-25% of the population carries this virus as well--most of the people just don't have symptoms. So, like HPV, it is typically passed on unknowingly by the person who has it. Apparently, per more than one source I've read, most adults carry some form or another of a sexually transmitted virus--we just don't hear about these viruses (don't even know some of their names) because they are not harmful to us and don't cause any symptoms.

So, ladies, let's take good care of ourselves and promote good health practices among our friends and relatives!

's to everyone!
Unread 01-12-2003, 05:28 PM
HPV

Hi all,

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents as well. The estimates of HPV prevalence in the previous posts are right on. There are 80+ types of HPV, and only about 5-10 of these are associated with cancer. Not everyone who gets the "cancerous types" will get cancer though, there are other factors involved...another mystery that will hopefully be solved soon!

I saw a talk on the HPV vaccine by a guy from Merck recently. The results look absolutely stunning, it's not often that you see such incredibly excellent results in cancer research. There may even be some benefit to women who already have HPV, which would be cool.

About the stigma sometimes associated with HPV, quite right, almost everyone has it. Sometimes it bugs me when I see the risk factors listed, but they are just that-risk factors for a population of humans. They do not describe an individual.

chicklet

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register