suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting

Unread 02-14-2003, 07:44 AM
suggested cause of cervical cancer, upsetting

Hi Nurse98,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but hopefully getting some answers here can set your mind at rest somewhat. HPV can lie dormant for years, as can other viruses. As of now, no one is exactly sure what "activates" the virus, but as Gail mentioned the immune system plays a very important role. Other factors that are associated include smoking and low antioxidant vitamin levels.

As for sex, don't worry! There is no reason not to enjoy sex with your husband. As of now, there are really no firm reports of adverse health effects of HPV in men, with the exception of gay men who have some increased risk in some types of cancer associated with HPV. There are some suggestions that some cancers such as prostate or penile may be associated with HPV, but there is really no strong evidence at this time. So I wouldn't worry about that angle at this point.

Edited to say that many types of cervical cancer will be totally eradicated by the surgery that you had. If your cancer stage was early and confined to the organ, then there is a low chance of the cancer coming back, because the surgery should have removed all of the cancer.

Chicklet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2003, 02:43 PM

I do also think its unfair that this is supposedly sexually transmitted. I've been with my husband for 11 years and I too can count on one hand how many sexual partners I have had.

I'm not sure if there are many of you out there but I believe this is a sideeffect of a drug that my mother took when she was pregnant. She either took DIETHYLSTILBESTOL a.k.a DES or a generic form of that drug.
Unread 02-14-2003, 03:23 PM

Senna,

It could very well be that your cancer is related to DES. I think that clear-cell adenocarcinoma of the cervix is the one that's most closely related to maternal use of DES, but that does not exclude all other types!

I asked my mom if she'd ever taken it after my diagnosis, esp. since my sister has had 2 premature infants (another symptom of DES use), but she hadn't. So much for that theory.

Unfortunately there's very little doubt that HPV infection, in combination with other factors, is strongly associated with most cervical cancers.

Chicklet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2003, 04:43 PM

It is a theory being pursued in the medical research that not only does the virus lay dormant for years until there is some change in the immune system, but that the infection is most likely to occur from sexual contact before the age of 21. Before the early 20s, the cervix is "tender" and has a very vulnerable membrane, so infection is far easier--and of course the partner has no idea the virus is there. After 21 or 22, the cervix has "toughened" and infection is much more unlikely. So the virus may come from contact before the age of 21, lay dormant until there's a drop in immunity for some reason, and then boom.

So you see it is a long time frame.
Unread 12-21-2003, 06:41 AM

At this point I have not been told I have ever had it does the bloodwork show it? Should I ask? I am blown away by this thread
Unread 12-21-2003, 09:15 AM

Helen,

HPV can be detected by using the sample taken from a Pap Smear. As long as you continue to have Pap Smears, even after a hysterectomy, I'm not sure that it matters medically whether you have HPV or not; you should be followed the same way by your doctor. Try not to worry!

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register