question for fistula patients | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question for fistula patients question for fistula patients

Unread 02-15-2003, 07:54 AM
question for fistula patients

Hi there,
I have been diagnosed with a vaginal cuff infection which cleared up, then another infection appeared. I have been on cipro for this one along with yeast inf. medication. My question is how did you find out you had a fistula? I am alittle discouraged about the infections, going to have a transvaginal ultrasound next week to see what might be happening and was wondering if I should be worried about a fistula? I don't seem to have any leaking (not that stains my underwear) but do have a feeling of being slightly damp down there (in addition to being sore), but might that be from the infection? I have been cleared from having a UTI though. I guess what I am asking is should I suspect a fistula, or is the leaking you experience with a fistula quite obvious? What were your first symptoms? Do you get infections? Also, can they diagnose a fistula with an ultrasound? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2003, 08:03 AM

:BUMP:
I just wanted to say as well that I have read lots of information on emedicine about fistulas as well, but I'd like to hear specifics from actual women. I guess what I want to know is if this condition is an obvious one, like I said before I am trying to figure out if what I am feeling could be drainage from an abcess or an actual fistula. Thank you.
Unread 02-16-2003, 10:21 AM

Hi,
I am one of the fistula ladies over on another thread. I had my repair surgery a month ago(3 months after my hysterectomy)

To answer your questions, the only way to "find" a fistula, is to have a Cystoscope done and an IVP. The cystoscope is an instrument that the dr(usually a Urologist) inserts in your uretha and looks inside your bladder. The IVP is basically an xray, they inject dye through an IV and take pictures as it move through your system. There is also a tampon test, you take a med called pyridium(turns urine bright orange) and the dr inserts a tampon, and if in a couple of hours when they take the tampon out it's stained orange-you have a fistula. I had all these tests!

I had a very tiny fistula on my vag cuff, which no dr could find during a pelvic exam. The leaking was more of a really wet feeling most of the time, but sometimes it was like I was peeing in my pants!(Only it was coming out my vagina!) I would go days with no leaking, and then it would come back.

Yes, UTI's happen alot when you have a fistula, I was originally diagnosed with a bad UTI and even when I was on cathatar treatment(trying to see if the fistula would heal on it's own, it didn't) I took antbiotics for about 3 months total.

Hope this helps answer your questions!

Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2003, 12:59 PM

Just curious. when was your surgery?Did you have TAH or LAVH ? I will be praying for you. Have a good day. Cindy
Unread 02-16-2003, 01:38 PM

Cindy,

My TAH (kept ovaries) was 10/16/02, and the fistula repair surgery was 1/15/03, also abdominal through vertical hysterectomy incision.

Thanks for the prayers!

Louise
Unread 02-16-2003, 03:18 PM

Francgal,
Sorry-I am so used to answering questions on my thread I thought that's where I posted!!! I need to pay closer attention...

Louise

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register