Scarey -- need sister advice please!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scarey -- need sister advice please!! Scarey -- need sister advice please!!

Unread 02-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Scarey -- need sister advice please!!

I'm not quite sure how to explain this without you all thinking I'm nuts (I am ), but I need to know if anyone has any ideas so here goes.......

Twice in the last week I've had this feeling when I'm going to sleep like if I let myself fall asleep, I'm going to stop breathing or lose conciousness. It's sort of the feeling you get when you are being put under for surgery -- that loss of control. It's like I am desperately trying to wake myself up and move and can't! Last night I was trying to call out to DBF and he said all he heard was me moaning. I did feel like this after my gallbladder surgery in '97 trying to wake up from the anesthesia and having a really tough time doing it. Am I making any sense at all?? Could this be a panic attack?? Does anyone have any advice because this is really freaking me out -- to the point where I'm almost afraid to go to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2003, 06:15 PM

((((sweetie))))) I'm so sorry you're having these attacks I haven't had personal experience with this, but I do think you should mention it to your doctor. It may be nothing serious, but it also might be something that needs to be addressed... usually, relief is available, providing you ask for it.

Sending lots of s your way. Please let us know how you're doing.
Unread 02-15-2003, 08:01 PM

Definitely mention it to your DR. I had several surgeries in my pre-teen years and experienced this same thing. My DR's called it anestesia flashbacks. Later in life during a psychology course in college, I learned that is was probably more of a sleep problem but now that I look back, the sleeping problem was probably hormone related. Anyway, the subconscience mind is waking up before your conscience mind is awake. I'm sure you can find some info out there on the internet. It is a scary feeling, but if your DR thinks everything is OK, just relax and try to go back to sleep. It gets easier with time. Now that I've had my TAH/BSO and started HRT, I have not experienced this anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2003, 08:24 PM

(((((((vbjacks5))))))

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this
I have had something kind of similar happen to me. When I take any drug that contains sulfa I basically become paralyzed for a couple of hrs. - cant speak or move. Are you on any new medications that you take before bed ? I'm not a Dr. of course so I'm just guessing here.
You really should call your Dr. about this soon. Let us know how you are doing - I hope you are feeling better soon 's

Susan
Unread 02-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi Vicki.......

I'm sorry that are going through this dear.....I know how scary it is. I had the same thing happen to me after my Hyst in June. It scared me to death and I didn't want to go to bed at all! I talked to my gyn about it and he said it sounded like panic attacks.

My doc prescribed me an anti-anxiety med, xanax I think. I only took one if I went to bed and had that feeling........by the time the rx was gone, the problem seemed to have resolved itself. Have a talk with your doc and let him know what's going on, mine told me that it can be caused by stress.

I hope this is resolved soon. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Lots of and 's for you!
Dawn
Unread 02-15-2003, 09:46 PM
I have had many experiences like that.

I have always have those episodes, when I am trying to wake my self up. It almost like your body is sleep but your brain is telling you to wake up. I often relate these episodes to stress or just fighting sleep because I can be hyper at times. I know that is very scary because I too am afraid to fall asleep for fear not waking up. You could mention it to your doctor as I did and all I was told I need to relax. I hope you get a better answer. One more thing if this make you feel any better I have always this problem for most of life and it only happens when I am really tired or stressed. Takecare.
Unread 02-16-2003, 06:25 AM

I had the same question as Susan: Are you taking any medications at bedtime that may be causing this? If not, I'd think the Dr. may be able to give you some type of mild anxiety meds temporarily in hopes that over time this will resolve.

-Nancy
Unread 02-16-2003, 07:51 AM

((vbjacks)),
I have experienced episodes like this as well but have never mentioned them to my Dr Mine occur like ((Jazzitones)) when I'm trying to wake up... I'm paralyzed, cant move, breathe & swear I'm going to die..they are scarey indeed:cry: I have Panic attacks as well, they worsened after I lost my ((Mom)) to the point I sought counceling. These attacks cause chest pain, shortness of breathe, feeling closed up..I'd often have to leave the place I was just to be able to breathe! I'm sure some of all this is stress related exp w/ all the pain we are experiencing as well. Stress can cause all types of things to occur. Here are a few links I found on Stress & the toll it can take:

ou Can Overcome the Affects of Stress: http://health.discovery.com/centers/...ss/stress.html

Stress Assessment:
http://health.discovery.com/centers/...ssessment.html

Fatigue Takes a Special Toll on Women:
http://health.discovery.com/centers/...ngfatigue.html

Women and Pain:
http://health.discovery.com/centers/...pain/pain.html

Anxiety Disorders:
http://health.discovery.com/centers/...y/anxiety.html

Self-Discovery Through Journaling:
http://health.discovery.com/centers/...ournaling.html

Quality of life impacted by posthysterectomy fatigue: http://www.orgyn.com/news/2002/week_..._life_impa.asp

Please discuss this with your Dr He will be able to provide some insight as to what is going on Good Luck & please keep us posted..((hugs))
Unread 02-16-2003, 09:03 AM

Thanks to all of you for your insight! I thought too that it might be from some of the things you all mentioned. I am under some stress (going back to court with ex next month), but it's not off the charts like I experienced say 6 mos. ago or more. Yes, I am taking new meds. Doc switched my pain and muscle relaxer to Ultram and Parafon Forte. I do take these at night, but also take them during the day and they don't feel freaked out. I didn't take them before bed last night (thinking this might be the culprit), didn't have an attack, BUT woke up at 4 a.m. in pain that took me 3 hours to get under control. Am also taking a RX appetite suppressant, but I have taken it in the past with no problems and I only take 1/2 the dosage. Also been having a little problem with bp control. Guess I will have to call my doc tomorrow. I hate sounding like a chronic whiner.
Unread 02-16-2003, 09:26 AM

I am so sorry you are having problems sleeping vbj- You might want to do a search on your new meds and see if this is a common side effect. You could also call you pharmicist and discuss this with him. You are not a whiner just because something is causing a problem-new meds are especially known for side effects.

Like the other sisters here, I experienced sleep disorders from an anti-depressant the DR gave me for mood swings. I only got a couple hours of sleep for several weeks. It will play real havoc with you recovery and pain too. Our bodies need rest to cycle through properly so please do call your DR, I am sure there is some answers and good suggestions he could give you. BTW: we pay dearly for medical services, never feel like a burden to your DR, he is getting compensated for his help.

I hope you find resolution soon dear, keep us posted,

Big s
DLK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register