Have a question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have a question Have a question

Unread 02-16-2003, 06:49 AM
Have a question

Hi

I had a TVH kept the ovaries in April 2001 due to precansor cells in the cervix. I went for my 1 year follow up last year. They told me to make sure that I come back in a year for the 2nd follow up. All they told me about the first one is that it was just okay. I found that my doctor and his nurse love to skip over my direct question and not give me an yes or no to my questions.
I did ask my doctor what happens if the pap does come back showing abnormal cells. He turned away from me looked at the wall. Turned back around with his down and with a sad tone said Radiation treatments.
From reading some of the posts here. Is that actually the next step? Or can they do lazer or something else before radiation is considered? I wasn't to well informed the first time around. Everything happen so fast! I know I did find out that I could keep my ovaries when the oncologist told me they take them just because it is routine. Luckily I found hystersisters and posted a question a few days before surgery about that. I couldn't understand why take a healthy organ just because it was routine! Didn't make sense to me. I told them I was going to keep them if they weren't in any danger. He didn't like that idea but hey its my body not his!!
This has been on my mind alot lately. I know I'm a cansor head like you all told me last year at this time I don't want to be thrown into something that I really don't understand again! I want to know my options before they happen! Not because it is routine. I need to know the right questions to ask this time if it becomes the case.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Have a question

Hi Linda,

I'm sorry to hear that your doctors avoid your questions, they should be there to answer them.
I'm going for a TAH on the 26th for stage 1B cervical cancer. They are going to keep my ovaries, but during my surgery they are going to move one of my ovaries up so that if I do need radiation afterwards both of my ovaries would not be affected, my gyn/oc said that 1 ovary should produce enough hormones.

To answer your question I do believe that if the "C" does come back the next step is radition, from what I have read in books and on this website.

I do have a question for you? From reading your post you said that you went for your 1 year follow-up. Was this to check your surgery or were you given a PAP? Do you only go once a year?My Dr. told me that for the first 2 years after my surgery I need to go for my pap every 3 months.

(this is only my opinion, I'm no DR)

Senna1

Unread 02-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Have a question

Hi Senna 1

The one year check up was a pap. Mainly to see if any abnormal cells were still lingering around. I was told that there still could be some that were to small to detect. They told me to make sure I come back next year which is what the apointment for April 8th is for. I will be having another pap done. They are slow growing cells. I was told that if this pap shows nothing then to come back in 3 years for another pap and if that one is good every 5 years. It hasn't got to the point of cansor yet. I read Roblyn story here and she mentioned that they did spot some abnormal cells and that she had some lazor done to the virgia wall. Her biopsy came out cancer. That is why I'm wondering about jumping right into radition. If there isn't something else if it isn't cancer but are still in the pre-cansor stage.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2003, 04:38 PM
Have a question

Linda!

A lot of us end up with cancerhead right before our appointments. I think it's just knowing that if something's there they are going to catch it soon.

If any abnormal cells are detected, depending on the extent and location there are other options besides radiation. Laser is one option. Localized chemo is another option (a chemo drug is placed in your vagina once a week for approximately 10 treatments--it's a do-at-home thing). Radiation is generally put off as long as possible. Once a year, my doctor does a vinegar test with colposcopy (as part of my PAP) so that he can visualize any abnormal cells and send them off to test. You might like to ask your doctor about that.

Senna1 brings up a good point. Most women report that they have appointments every 3 months for 2 years, then yearly after that. It is generally not recommended to go more than one year between visits once you've had a diagnosis of cervical dysplasia.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Unread 02-16-2003, 05:01 PM
Have a question

Hi Linda,

I had paps done every 3 months after my surgery. Now that I'm 2 yrs post I'm having them every 6 months. I expect to continue every 6 months until 5 years and then will go to yearly. I had a Cone done for a pre-cancer 12 yrs ago and the follow-up paps were pretty much the same. I went every 3 months, then every 6 months, then once a year.

I'm glad Jeanine was able to give some information about alternatives to radiation. It's a question I never thought to ask!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register