New PAP guidelines from the ACS - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New PAP guidelines from the ACS New PAP guidelines from the ACS

Unread 02-18-2003, 08:43 AM
New PAP guidelines from the ACS

Thought you might find this interesting. Although I had endometrial cancer, I was surprised when my best friend of almost 50 years recently said that she thought I had cervical cancer. She appears to have gotton confused, because we had discussed at length her mother-in-law's treatment, and ultimate death, from endometrial cancer when I was about to undergo treatment in 1999. Another friend couldn't remember what kind of gyn cancer I had either, even though we had talked about it at length on a number of occasions. My boss also always seems confused, pointing out the latest studies on cervical cancer, even though I've told him over and over I had endometrial. I also attended a gyn-cancer support group which was all ovarian cancer survivors except me. When I said I had endometrial cancer, one of the women asked, "What's that?"

My point is that I think that each of us learns more than we ever wanted to know about our own cancer and assumes others are as knowledgeable (or interested for that matter). Frankly, I've learned that this is not the case. Now, I chuckle and say to my self, "Oh, well, I tried; they're just not going to get it." I say, let them think what they want, but I do still try to educate every chance I get!

I am, however, concerned about the new pap guidelines recommending less frequent paps. It is my understanding that a pap is not the most reliable of test, and I believe continuing annual testing would prevent the situation where a woman was told everything was OK when the pap may have been read wrong that year. In that situation, not being retested for 3 years could have serious adverse consequences.

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2003, 09:17 AM
New PAP guidelines from the ACS

I've been in a monogamous relationship for almost 17 years. I had a slightly abnormal pap in 1998...which turned out to be a benign growth. Had NORMAL paps all the way thru March 2001..which then came back mild dysplasia, then with colposcopy came back CIS, then with cone came back mild dypslasia, then with TVH came back mild dypslasia.

My point is, all these procedures do the best they can to diagnos our conditions...yet they are not always accurate.

NOTHING is perfect.

by having regular paps, woman have the best chance to find anything early and either treat it or prevent it entirely!

As for my daughter and friends and any aquaintance I make, paps will be done regularly..no matter what the cost....your life depends it on it!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register