Rectocele - Is surgery the only option? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Rectocele - Is surgery the only option? Rectocele - Is surgery the only option?

Unread 02-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Rectocele - Is surgery only option?

About a year and a half ago, I had a rectal prolapse. I didn't know what it was at the time, but it did scare me. However I was too embarrassed to tell my doctor. In December, when I had my TVH, I also had a cystocele & rectocele repair done. I was hoping that would fix the rectal prolapse as well, so I still didn't tell my doctor. Although there has been a lot of improvement since my surgery (I also had a very prolapsed and tilted uterus, which I guess was also pressing on my bowels - no doubt contributed to the rectal prolapse to begin with), it is still painful to have BM's. I take 2 colace and citracil daily with the occasional boost of a little Milk O' Mag. Plus lots and lots of water and fresh fruits and veggies. My question is this: most of the web sites that I've found regarding rectal prolapse, seem to indicate that surgery is the only option on a rectal prolapse. This terrifies me! I am finally starting to feel like myself again at 9 weeks post op! The thought of going through yet another surgery just makes me want to cry. Could any of you wonderful sisters share some words of comfort? (and hope???)
Best wishes to you all for continued positive recovery!
catherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Rectocele - Is surgery the only option?

Hi Catherine I'm so sorry you're still having all of these problems

I must admit that I am a little confused: I had a rectocele before my hyst and, at that time, my doctor told me that it was a rectal prolapse. You mentionned that you had a rectocele and cystocele repair at the same time as your TVH... that would indicate that your doctor would have been aware of the rectal prolapse at that time and would have repaired it

Since my hyst, I have developped painful and annoying hemmorhoids. When they flare, it almost feels as if my rectum is prolapsing... however, the rectocele was different: my rectum was actually bulging inside my vaginal opening.

I really think that you need to approach your doctor ASAP and discuss these issues: taking that many stool softeners and fibers every day cannot be good for you, over the long run. Also, your doctor should be aware that you are taking all of these meds and should be monitoring how you're doing.

Sending lots of s your way and hoping that you feel better soon. Please let us know how you're doing.
Unread 02-17-2003, 03:39 PM

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this...

I am 8 days post op for TVH and rectocele repair.

From reading I have done on this site and other places it would seem that a rectal prolapse involves a certain amount of your rectum hanging out of your anus. I have seen photos and it looks like a red sausage.

My rectocele on the other hand was a bulge in my rear wall of my vagina. Have a look for websites which will show you the difference.

My dietician has also said that too much fibre prevents iron absorbtion... this could be a problem for all of us trying to keep things moving... sigh.

I am not a qualified person to advise you - so I recommend that you do get to your doctor straight away. He needs to know everything about your health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks for your replies ladies

Dany, I had the typical rectocele problems as well, prior to the hyst. Rectal prolapse is a separate issue, and not one that a gyn would necessarily be looking for, unless the patient brought it to their attention (I think). And then I think it would need to be a colo-rectal surgeon, not a gyn. The rectocele surgery was successful, for me. My dr is the one that has me taking 2 Colace and citricil daily, in order to prevent constipation, to protect the surgery. He said after posterior repairs, it's very important to not become constipated. He has told me to stay away from the MOM though, so I rarely resort to that, and then only a small amount. I guess what I'm wondering is, is it possible to just manage the rectal prolapse - being careful to not become constipated, strain, etc etc, and avoid having surgery? Would I be causing some kind of damage that would be more extensive down the road? From what I've read, a test called Defography (sp?) is the x-ray they use to diagnose that, and I totally could not handle that test!
Pla, interesting about the too much fibre thing. It's so hard to get all of this balanced and right! Hopefully in time...
thank you both - I'm going to keep researching! And I plan to confess to my doc on the 27th.
blessings,
catherine
Unread 02-18-2003, 10:09 AM

Thanks for enlightening me on the difference between rectal prolapse and rectocele

Catherine: I still would mention it to your doctor. I imagine that rectal prolapse, the same as any other prolapse, can only get more severe if left untreated. I know that, when detected early enough, a cystocele and rectocele can be corrected without surgical intervention. The same could be true of a rectal prolapse.

Regarding the too much fiber issue, I know that I have to be careful not to take too much fiber as it has the opposite effect of what I'm trying to accomplish. Somedays, I get sooooooo frustrated at trying to figure it all out and achieve the right balance

Wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us posted on how you're doing.
Unread 02-18-2003, 12:32 PM
My apologies!

Must be having the ol' brain ! Just realized in my title I put "rectocele" instead of "rectal prolapse". No wonder my post was confusing! I am so sorry! Meanwhile, I am trying to research as much as I can before I go see my dr on the 27th. Thanks again for your kind words and support Dany.
s,
catherine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register