help! tear in my vaginal cuff at 4 months post op! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help! tear in my vaginal cuff at 4 months post op! help! tear in my vaginal cuff at 4 months post op!

Unread 02-17-2003, 04:59 PM
help! tear in my vaginal cuff at 4 months post op!

Hi sisters!!!!!
It's been awhile since I have been on the boards. We had a local move and the 'puter was down. Now I'm back, but have bad news! Dh and I went away this weekend to a romantic bed and breakfast. Well, we haven't been able to have "relations" but a couple of times since my surgery b/cause of my pain issues. I had an ultrasound of my bladder/kidneys 2 weeks ago and the results came back A-OK. Most of you know I've had numerous internal exams as well as urine cultures, and I've been checked over by an interist as well as a urologist. The pain continued..we hired movers to help with our move but I still wound up lifting WAY WAY WAY too much. I was actually feeling pretty good that week...fast forward to this weekend.
The second DH and I were done having "fun", I got this horrible stabbing pain in my pelvic area. It burned like heck and he wanted to take me to the ER. Then I noticed I was bleeding. !!!!!! That freaked me out, there I was, away from home out in the boonies......I yi yi. I had hoarded a Darvocet for the trip "just in case" and took it right away. This all took place Saturday night. Yesterday, we spent the remainder of my trip with me in horrible pain and swollen like I was 6 months pregnant! I feel like I'm about 4 weeks post op. As we were driving back to Chicago today I called my new ob/gyn and told them about the bleeding. He wanted to see me asap. I went in this afternoon and he said I have a tear in my vaginal cuff about 1 1/2 cm wide. He said he could not say if the lifting caused it, he feels more sure that the intercourse caused it. On my last exam he said my vaginal cuff looked perfect, however, there may have been an internal weakness or tear along the incision that he could not see, and it finally just busted open. He promptly wrote me a prescription for Darvocet while saying he knew that I must be in alot of pain. As most of you might know, I fired my original surgeon and am now seeing this guy....NONE of these docs would come off with any pain killers since everything looked on the up and up internally. Now that he sees a problem, I didn't even have to ask, he just wrote the prescription on the spot. Go figure. So anyway, he said he does not want to put me through another surgery right away. Doc wants to wait 2 weeks and see if it will heal on it's own. He said it's not the norm for the tear to heal on it's own...if it doesn't...it's back to the castle where he will re-open the vaginal cuff and stitch it back up again.
I'm so freaked out! And I'm hurting too! Since my last post, I was laid off from my job for 1 week. Then they found another position for me. I'm currently in some heavy training and my brain is fried when I get home. I almost wish I hadn't taken this position but I need the insurance for all this post-op mess!! The doc seemed to think it would be ok to work until we see if I need re-stitching or not but he said no sex, no lifting, no vacuuming etc. until further notice.
Has anyone out there had this happen b/fore? Did it heal on it's own? I sure don't want to go back to the castle but I've been feeling bad for so long, I would try anything at this point. The doc did mention that if my incision healed weak or not correctly the first time there could have been some tearing just behind the scar sight that they could not see. Of course I'm confused and this pain is kicking my butt!!!! The darvocet isn't helping much. Thanks for reading my novel..............it's great to be back on the boards but I wish it were under different circs! to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2003, 05:45 PM

Hi Jeannie! I just wanted to give you a ! How awful to have that happen so late in your recovery! It's also a good reminder to the rest of us to take things slowly, even when we're feeling like our old selves (or better). The fact that your dr believes intercourse caused the tear - yikes! DH & I have just reach the point where it's *fun* again And Saturday I had some very light, watery bleeding afterwards. But within a few hours it had stopped. I hope you heal up on your own and can avoid a castle trip.

catherine
Unread 02-17-2003, 07:23 PM

Oh (((Jeannie)))! Glad to see you, but not glad that you are having problems. And at such a crucial time at work too. Life sure doesn't seem fair sometimes. You will be in my thoughts and I will that you will not have to return to the castle. Take care and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2003, 10:14 PM

Hi Jeannie ouch! that sounds sooo painful! I didn't have my vaginal cuff tear, but I did have to have a second vaginal surgery at about 3 months post from the hyst... mine was due to a vaginal adhesion that formed between my A&P repairs and had to be removed. I just wanted to let you know that if you do have to have another surgery to fix this it might not be so bad.

My second surgery was done as an outpatient in the surgery center adjacent to the castle. I was in and out within a day and in minimal pain. I was back to all my regular activities within a few days and cleared for sex in two weeks afterwards.

I did have to use vaginal Premarin cream for three weeks following the surgery to help the tissues there heal. Vaginal estrogen can be very helpful in healing that area. Did your DR give you any to use to try to get your cuff to heal? This might be something to ask about if you want to maximize your chances of avoiding another surgery.

Your new DR sounds like a great guy. I'm glad you were able to make the switch. It makes all the difference when they listen, doesn't it? Hang in there Jeannie, you'll get through this.
s,
-Linda
Unread 02-18-2003, 07:22 AM

{{{Jeannie}}}
I'm sorry Jeannie, that sounds very painful. I'm glad that the is making sure that you have some relief. It does sound like you have found a keeper.

I don't have any experience with a vaginal cuff tear but wanted to stop by and give you some s
Unread 02-18-2003, 08:00 AM

Hi,
I had a vaginal cuff tear, sounds very much how yours happened.
We had the "green light" 8 weeks post-op, had a very romantic night and ended up in surgery at midnight. I too had sharp stabbing pains and my stomach swelled up. I actually went into shock from the pain and rode in an ambulance to the hospital after calling the doctor. So..I know how much pain you are in, and
I am so sorry this happened to you.

My doc sewed me back up under anaesthesia(sp), I was out of work another week, went back on ultralight duty. Plus another
8 weeks of relation restriction.

This pretty much traumatized my husband as well, it has been a year since then and everything is back in order now(except now I am recovering from recurring endo and a rectocele repair). But before this , no complaints!

Good luck.
Leslie
Unread 02-18-2003, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the messages sisters. Went to work today and had to concentrate on all this computer garble while trying not to think about this huge and throbbing in my pelvic area. Well when I went in to work today I just decided to come off with it and tell my new boss what was up...I did it as tactfully as possible. Turns out her mom had a hyst awhile back and had a very rough time with her recovery. She was pretty nice about it but as we all know....company policies are stuck to like glue. She did assure me that if I have to be re-stitched they would of course let me have medical leave or use vacation time.
I'm wondering if it's really ok to walk around with this tear like this? My hour long commute home from work really hurt today. (lots of bumpy roads in Illinois!) I'm going to see how I'm feeling and might bump that follow up appointment to earlier next week. My doc wanted me to come back at 1 week but finally ok'd a follow up at 2 weeks b/cause I was so nervous about my job. It's sad I even have to worry so much about that.
((Surferbabe)) thanks for the advice. I'll ask about that cream next time I talk to my doctor. I better go rest....funny how this is making me feel like I'm 4 weeks post op again. Argghhhh!!!!
s and thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register